Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Flare broke last night about 18 hours after taking a Tsunami of Colchicine.

Rear snorkel still gasping for breath.

Another memorable event in the books.

Hope the OP gets relief soon
I think I may be in the same position as you. While the pain isn’t gone I think it has definitely subsided overnight.

One stinking painful ailment! Wish I only knew what triggered it...
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
I think I may be in the same position as you. While the pain isn’t gone I think it has definitely subsided overnight.

One stinking painful ailment! Wish I only knew what triggered it...
I think everybody has different triggers, what will set one guy off, the next guy handles no problem.

Having said that, I can't eat liver anymore. I have to be careful with whiskey but the allopurinol can handle the beer. I bought a bottle of scotch for my christmas present and I have been into the Colchisine. Shellfish can be a problem for some, I don't get enough to be a problem.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I think everybody has different triggers, what will set one guy off, the next guy handles no problem.

Having said that, I can't eat liver anymore. I have to be careful with whiskey but the allopurinol can handle the beer. I bought a bottle of scotch for my christmas present and I have been into the Colchisine. Shellfish can be a problem for some, I don't get enough to be a problem.
Absolutely-Never seen 2 sufferers the same.

I could incite an attack right now by wearing tight socks.

Op needs to find his triggers.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:08 AM

For me my Uric acid levels aren't very high at all, it just seems that my joints are easily susceptible to it. Indometecin eats my guts but it works. In the up the docs used maximum doses of indometicin (50mg. Three times a day) here my doc was using 25 mg. and it took forever to work. Throw in a colchicine once a day with the 50 mg. dose and it works fast and is gone.

Incidentally when I was on colchicine every day to prevent attacks the uk docs decided it was too dangerous and that's when they switched to uloric. Unfortunately they has me stop colchicine and start the uloric same day. I had an extreme attack (obviously) friggen doctors really are thoughtless sometimes. My ankle has never been the same since. Moral of the story be careful switching medications.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:32 AM

2 weeks into the worst bout of my life, seeing the quack tomorrow, hunting Suffield Monday, lotsa walking. Yikes!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Triggers for me are gravy, any of the club house gravy mixes, soup mixes stew mixes, chili mixes, I cut out 80% of red meat out of my diet, rich foods like crab, anything with concentrated oxo cubes. I used to drink beer a lot and never really got gout from beer from what I could remember but more with different types of foods or ingredients in foods. I quit drinking all together and have had some of the worst attacks since. One of the worst was the last batch of BH sheep stew I made and I watched what I put into the batch and WOW! I was disabled for 3-4 days on crutches because the gout locked up in my knee which was a first. Its not a funny thing for sure but after I have to laugh at myself! As soon as I can feel a weird twitch or feeling in my foot I start hammering the prescription and stay close to a washroom until it subsides . When on shift I pack a lunch in the morning and 2 extra pair of underwear just in case!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Banned

Mmm. I’ve always wondered what gout is , now I know. Ouch!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Mmm. I’ve always wondered what gout is , now I know. Ouch!
Better to read about gout than experience first hand.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschache View Post
Triggers for me are gravy, any of the club house gravy mixes, soup mixes stew mixes, chili mixes, I cut out 80% of red meat out of my diet, rich foods like crab, anything with concentrated oxo cubes. I used to drink beer a lot and never really got gout from beer from what I could remember but more with different types of foods or ingredients in foods. I quit drinking all together and have had some of the worst attacks since. One of the worst was the last batch of BH sheep stew I made and I watched what I put into the batch and WOW! I was disabled for 3-4 days on crutches because the gout locked up in my knee which was a first. Its not a funny thing for sure but after I have to laugh at myself! As soon as I can feel a weird twitch or feeling in my foot I start hammering the prescription and stay close to a washroom until it subsides . When on shift I pack a lunch in the morning and 2 extra pair of underwear just in case!
If you have gout avoid MSG,gravy mixes,soup mixes,canned food,soups,kraft dinner mix ,it's in all kinda foods,steak spices have it,Plus I know a guy when he has MSG his anxiety takes right off,bad for your heart.
Lotsa people with gout have high uric acid and MSG elevates it bad,it's pretty well in all food packages.Chinese food ask for no msg.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:48 AM

Well it hasn’t been two months since the last attack and at about 4:00 AM I started to feel a dull ache in my toe... thought to myself I’m getting gout again... now here it is at 6:45 and the familiar pain is jackhammering through my foot! *#^%*#*#!!!!!!!

Took a dose of indomethacin, hope it doesn’t last too long!!

I really have no idea what triggers it. Sure wish I knew!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:06 AM

I always have a Colchicine prescription on hand. When I feel a bout coming on I take one along with an anti-inflammatory and I stop ingesting the trigger foods and fluids.
Stay hydrated and not on beer....haha...

Good luck,

https://trueremedies.com/foods-high-in-uric-acid/

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 03-17-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:28 AM
Banned

I've been suffering with severe gout since my mid 20s. Started in my big toe but now I will get it in my ankle knees and wrists. I used to use cochlicine and indomethacine to deal with it. Be careful with cochlicine it can kill you if you take to much. After years of suffering I now take allopurinol daily and don't get attacks anymore unless I forget my meds at home when I go on the road working.

Best of luck. Don't cut it off even though I know you might want to lol
Old 03-17-2018, 08:57 AM

I too am a gout sufferer, had my first attack at about 35?
Never really knew what was going on at first, often my feet would just be sore, down in the ball of my foot and like someone else said, the side of my foot.
When I had a full on classic attack then I quickly figured out what it was!

I remember balancing against the wall near the bathroom unsure of how I could possibly make it back to bed.

I still haven't figured out all the triggers, one Dr claimed that a "proton pump inhibitor" they had me on for my guts was the culprit. It was called Nexium.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 AM

I haven't had gout. However, I have heard from one guy that had it that a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water every 4 hours helped during a flareup. And a teaspoon a day when not flared up helped stop them from never coming back again...
Old 03-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Yep a pain in the toe...I woke this morning with gout. Or maybe I should say is was pulled out of my sleep by a painful ache in my big toe about 3AM. This is the 3rd time I’ve had an attack. First time was very mild, just a dull ache in fact I wasn’t quite sure what it was, it didn’t stop me at all. But in the back of my mind I knew it was gout. Second time was a full blown gout attack I ended up at the doctor for medication. That was October 2016. Since then I’ve watched my diet and have been lucky enough to avoid another flare up. Till now! At this point I don’t know what caused the flare up.
This crap hurts!! For those of you with gout... have your triggers changed over the years? Any home remedies that tend to help speed up the recovery from an attack?
There seems to be some evidence of sugar being one of the culprits in causing gout...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sugar%2Bgout&t=vivaldi&ia=web

Edit: Keep track of what you eat... do you remember eating anything before the attack that could be suspect? Maybe you overdid it eating something like dessert, candy or something else that caused a reaction. Prepared meats with a lot of nitrates are also thought by some to be bad for gout, alccohol is another.

Last edited by drhu22; 03-17-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:40 PM

For me it seemed to come on very random at first.. completely changed my diet and quit drinking and I had gout so bad I couldn’t get up my stairs ..and then again I’ve been on fishing trips and ate nothing but fish and crushing a ton of beer and had no gout issues ...it got to a point where I was getting it once a week and wouldn’t go away .. allopurinal.. I’m a new man
Old 03-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

One thing to remember is that even if you aren't having an attack high uric acid levels will still build up in your joints and cause damage. Get you levels checked through blood work and then talk to your doctor and go from there. Personally I'm not willing to give up things like red meat and sea food and swear off booze. Allopurinol and boom life's good
Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Banned

QUESTION.....I'm pushing 60 and the last couple of years I'd occasionally get a dull pain in my right big toe for no apparent reason. Nothing drastic but enough that I take notice. Is this how gout starts out or does it nail you hard right away?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
QUESTION.....I'm pushing 60 and the last couple of years I'd occasionally get a dull pain in my right big toe for no apparent reason. Nothing drastic but enough that I take notice. Is this how gout starts out or does it nail you hard right away?
That’s how it starts for me. A dull ache in the joint, then progresses from there.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup sounds like classic gout. If you want to find out for sure, next time you feel that ache tie on a good beer bender with a red meat asparagus and she'll fish buffet lol. I'm kidding don't do that... unless someone else is paying.

Go get your uric acid levels checked. They will be able to tell if you're at risk and give you medication. It's better to have it then to have to crawl to your truck with a boot on one foot and a flip flop on the other in -30 to go get it.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Banned

Great. Something else to look forward to. Getting old is total BS. Could be a lot worse though I guess.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Great. Something else to look forward to. Getting old is total BS. Could be a lot worse though I guess.
It's not an age thing its hereditary. If no one in you're family has it you are most likely not going to get it either.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Next time you get the dull ache head to the doc and get the joint aspirated.
Crystals at the source tell a much clearer story that total Uric acid levels.

My brother has high uric acid levels and never had a gout episode in his life.
His levels are higher than mine and I have suffered greatly in the past
Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Next time you get the dull ache head to the doc and get the joint aspirated.
Crystals at the source tell a much clearer story that total Uric acid levels.

My brother has high uric acid levels and never had a gout episode in his life.
His levels are higher than mine and I have suffered greatly in the past
This is also very good advice.