Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Cool

Sounds like a "spotting scope" and a spotter that is good at it. Its hard not all guys or gals can make that call but you find one thats in your group of shooters use them as much as you can lol.
Plus some sort of dirt or sand backstop is required so you can spot your misses as the shooter as well as the spotter. Some kind of bullet cam is a plus at 1000 yards they spot your shots when missed by spotter. Keep us posted on how your makeing out good luck.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Some of the folks at a our range do the telescope / camera thing, there into these set-ups for big $$$.

I checked out 3 optic cameras the other day.

Camera 1 was a pocket unit with 40 X's zoom.
It worked best with the manual focus from 30 power up.
$320 ish. Long Recording time. Steady shot feature

Camera 2 was larger unit / non pocket for $230 with 55 X's zoom. Very sharp and clear, and the auto focus took care of business. Steady shot & much long recording time.

Camera 3.
What can I say. $650 and a world of endless. 75 X's zoom, I thought the other 2 had clear lenses,,, boy was I mistaken. This unit is golden, & it has the options to change optic lenes of zoom and beyond.
Extra this, extra that. Day time night time, anytime. Cross thread and side ways.

Wholly crap bat-man. I know when the time comes what unit I'm after.

I dug out my old camera to see what it can do. Power Shot 32 power. $86. Steady shot with fairly good record time,,, at least I'll find out. LOL.

The trick for set-up is next. A good field of view looking down on operations and back drop, & shovel and rake to prep the area for missed shoots. LOL

Don
Old 12-22-2017, 07:14 AM

Another small set back, as I'm doing my every night research stuff.

Optic scope tracking that we might choose to perform our selves.

This all came about in my quest of "researching" 2 new optics for 2018,,, I'm talking the high end stuff beyond the $$$$ price tag.

For those of us that "choose" to push the 800 to beyond distances, if might be wize to set up our tracking table test.

It is a test that confirms that every optic scope is tracking "true" in dial up & down.
Sure, we can shoot the tall target test,,, the box and other tests.

But the real tracking test is done from the shooting line with zero shots fired.

Do the cross hairs really track back to where they are after dialing up / down / left / and right. We would surely hope so since the writing on the manufactors Web pages "tell us" that their products have the highest standards in quality and control in the 100th of thousands.

So how do us long distance shooters know this,,, simple.
It is our job to find out if this is true,,, that might mean that we can trust what they are saying, or find out for our selves. "If" we choose to that is.
After reading this, all my optics are going into the bench rest vise to make sure that my optics are doing what they are suppose to do.

Then do the box, ladder tests after that.

This is 1 of millions of examples of finding out what critters crap in the buck-brush. If we trust our optic manufactors words, then awesome,,, but those of us that choose to find out if their claims are real,,, then more power to us.
http://www.opticstalk.com/athlon-rif...opic42523.html

The whole thread is a eye opener, it puts "EVERYTHING" into perspective,,, "Everything" if we really want to know.

At least I have time to do a confirmation dial test this week on my optics
A little extra work, but at least I'll find out if the 1 1/2,,, 1,,, or 1/2 MOA or Mill fault is in hidden with in. Yes,,, I know that sounds like nothing,,, but at distance it is fairly significant in terms of accuracy. For those of us that choose that is.

Of course I won't know till I run them threw their paces.

Glad to share all, enjoy the read. Again,,, it is only a small example of what is said, and what is real,,, real means it has been proven and eliminates the doubt.

Hopefully wrong as normal, Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 12-22-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:20 AM

Big thanks to one of our AO members for supplying the materials for the super size Metal gong.

WOW,,, what can I say. This is simply the best of brother/sister hood to the max.

Guess we will rapping out a few of them 6 footers. LOL.

Or Nabour has the draft plans to down load into the plasma table to run the sheets, end product is Super Size F Class targets. LOL.

Big thanks again to all for helping us get this sorted.

Don,,, humbled and hounered to the max.