Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Question Fluorocarbon Leader Knots?

I'm just looking to see what everyone uses. I just put 50lb Fluorocarbon leader on to my Line Thru Trout swimbait. I tied directly to the hook, then put a #5 swivel on the other end. I used a Trilene knot, seems not too bad. Just wondering what others have used, what's worked and what has failed. The more knowledge the better.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 AM

I've used the clinch and Palomar to attach my fluorocarbon leaders I make up.

I put a barrel swivel on one side, and a coast lock/swivel on the other end (just like a leader you would buy from the store).

I pull them tight with pliers on the tag end (which gets trimmed off anyways) and either use a nail on a 2x6 (or resting in my hand between my fingers) through the hole of the swivel snap and pull them tight after moistening. Knot gets nice and snug.

Last step is to trim the tag end, and using a lighter mushroom the end of the tag.

Never had a knot fail or slip.

I do not typically tie anything (like a lure) directly to a leader if I can use a swivel snap. Gives me quick changes that way.

The only exception is fly fishing of course and finesse presentations for trout, perch or walleye (and at that point I'm not necessarily using very heavy or thick line anyways).
Old 05-05-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I've used the clinch and Palomar to attach my fluorocarbon leaders I make up.

I put a barrel swivel on one side, and a coast lock/swivel on the other end (just like a leader you would buy from the store).

I pull them tight with pliers on the tag end (which gets trimmed off anyways) and either use a nail on a 2x6 (or resting in my hand between my fingers) through the hole of the swivel snap and pull them tight after moistening. Knot gets nice and snug.

Last step is to trim the tag end, and using a lighter mushroom the end of the tag.

Never had a knot fail or slip.

I do not typically tie anything (like a lure) directly to a leader if I can use a swivel snap. Gives me quick changes that way.

The only exception is fly fishing of course and finesse presentations for trout, perch or walleye (and at that point I'm not necessarily using very heavy or thick line anyways).
Thanks for the advice. I usually use the Palomar with my braided line. The Trilene knot I used didn't snug up real nicely, the 50lb leader material is a bit stiff. The only reason I tied directly to the hook is on the line through swimbaits, there isn't enough room to have a swivel or anything before the hook. It wouldn't let the hook sit correctly on the body of the swimbait.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 AM

Use a clinch or an improved clinch knot as they call it. You will only need about 3-4 wraps around the mainline unlike lighter gauge line where 7-10 wraps is common. Any more than a few wraps with 50 lb leader flouro and you wont be able to tie it very easily at all. Make sure you moisten the knot with some saliva before tightening as to decrease friction and maintain knot strength.

I always use the improved clinch and I have never had a knot slip - not once.
you will need pliers to pull the tag end as you simultaneously pull the mainline. using your teeth will result in you chipping a tooth...trust me on this one. I also like to use my pliers to push the knot down tight to my swivel or hook or whatever you are tying off to. This knot is the fish tits. you'll love it.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:47 PM

I use a knot I saw on TV once and it hasn't failed me yet. Not sure the name.
It has to be 100% Fluoro line to work.

Take a lighter and move the fluoro close to the flame, not touching. It will mushroom back and that's it on the fluoro end. The tie a uni knot with the braid and pull tight. trim braid tag end and done.

Goes through rod guides without jamming from a fluoro tag end because there isn't one.

Works on heavy gear but also used this winter on 6lb fluoro and worked great there too.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Maybe try a springer knot, simple and not bulky when cinched tight

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 04:18 PM

Anyone reading this thread and would like to know how to tie the knots mentioned, try this link
Old 05-05-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
Anyone reading this thread and would like to know how to tie the knots mentioned, try this link
That is perfect, thanks for sharing the link!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishingEDM View Post
I'm just looking to see what everyone uses. I just put 50lb Fluorocarbon leader on to my Line Thru Trout swimbait. I tied directly to the hook, then put a #5 swivel on the other end. I used a Trilene knot, seems not too bad. Just wondering what others have used, what's worked and what has failed. The more knowledge the better.
Canoeman knot is the bet knot for heavy fluro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsm0imaR0k
Old 05-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Uni knot works without fail in my experience.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Uni knot works without fail in my experience.
Tried the uni but found it did not work well for me with 80-100 lb leader material flouro. The heavy Leader material is just to stiff, at least mine was.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:32 AM

No argument there. Ive never had a need to use heavier than 60# leader material.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
No argument there. Ive never had a need to use heavier than 60# leader material.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
I had a number of pike cut me off with 60 lb. flouro leader material so mostly use 7 strand 18 inch titanium leaders. But when I use flouro leaders now I go with at least 80 and generally 100lb.

The titanium last much longer as well. I have one 7 strand titanium that is going into it's 6th season. (I did have replace to clip on it last year though)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:14 AM

Triple surgeons knot is my go-to! its fast and very effective!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 AM

I setup my two line thru swimbaits with 50# flourocarbon leaders. I went with the palomar knot. Now just have to actually catch something on them.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishingEDM View Post
What are you fishing for? I googled the bait, but i do not speak ounces and there is no size scale. A size 10 hook is fairly small though, but I rarely use treble hooks.

Last edited by scel; 05-31-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 PM

Improved clinch with fewer wraps.

I use the improved clinch 90% of the time. Simple knot I learned as a kid and simply put it works. You do need to use fewer wraps on heavier mono/fluoro though.

What I have found is roughly the following, tie a few practice knots and see what you find works best.

Line up to 12 lbs: 7 wraps
13-20 lbs: 6 wraps
21-40 lbs: 5 wraps
41-60 lbs: 4 wraps
61+ lbs: 3 wraps

Those all for mono/flouro. For braid I usually use around 7 wraps on everything.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

This is the knot I use.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
This is the knot I use.

Simple line to line clinch knot.
Those can let go on you. You may want to consider adding one more move and making it an improved clinch.

Or better yet use a line to line (double) uni knot if tying similar diameter lines like that.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:41 PM

Albright knot is my personal fav for joining two significantly different line diameters.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 PM

I seen at Canadian tire they sell mono leaders that are 60 or more lbs. and they got a collar crimped on no knot. To me that damages the line but could be wrong? And body try that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
I seen at Canadian tire they sell mono leaders that are 60 or more lbs. and they got a collar crimped on no knot. To me that damages the line but could be wrong? And body try that?

I don't think it has much effect on Mono but it certainly can on Flouro. Flouro esp Flouro leader material is quite hard and brittle and over crimping can internally fracture the flouro. I would imagine most commercial ones are made with just the right pressure and have quality control procedures in place .

That's why I tie my flouro leaders and but will crimp others.

Now when your using 80 - 100 lb flouro leader for the abrasion resistance and not the pull strength a little internal fracturing probably will not be noticed, because if you weaken it down to 35 lbs it will still be plenty strong enough to land all Alberta Fish.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post

I'm not sure if a crimp is any better or worse for damaging a line - but crimps do slip more often compared to a well tied knot. But Cube makes a good point there - makes sense.

It's so easy (once you get comfortable doing it) to tie your own. Save big money, use the swivel, snap, ring or whatever terminal tackle you want and customize the length and material (Fluoro, Mono, Leader or Line) to what you need.

Easiest know to teach someone, IMO, is a simple Palomar. It's proven to be a reliable and strong knot. It's also good with braid, mono or fluoro of any size or diameter.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM

I tie my own but only use 40lbs at the highest.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:21 PM

I was going through the same thoughts at the start of last season.

If you are like me and like to have everything tied and prepared at home I would suggest a "sebile knot" it is easily the best option for a large diameter fluoro to a small braid. Then I would tie on a good quality snap swivel to the end.

I also pre tie the majority of my lures with their own 18" (or so) piece of fluoro a rapala knot at the lure and a surgeons loop at the other.

Then I attach my loops to the snap and only have a snap swivel between the braid and the lure with about 5 feet or so of clear fluoro.

Might be excessive but so far I have had no real issues with it.