Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Red face looking for advice on the best bow for a lady

Hey I'm looking into getting into bow hunting., but im not sure what bow would be the best for me ! Id be going after moose and elk and of course deer.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 PM

Try as many as you can, don't think about name. Just let your hand feel what's right. Be sure you can pull 40lbs, the min requirement.

I would head to a archery only store, like Jimbow's in Calgary or Edmonton, and have them help you!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Banned

I don't know where you're at, but I would highly suggest going to a local archery pro shop that has a shooting lane and testing out a few of their offerings. You'll get a bunch of suggestions on here, but everyone has a different body structure, and every different bow has a different cam that effects the draw cycle. By testing a few out you'll find out which one fits you best. After you shoot for a while, you'll be able to tell which one you shoot best.

Start out a an actual pro shop though, preferably one that sells 3 or four different brands.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM

Thanks guys!! Ive been trying some out at wolverine in red deer! And Ive been told by a few people to check out that jim-bows place in Calgary.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 PM

If you are going to make a trip to Calgary you might as well check out the Calgary archery center as well as Jim Bows.

When you go to a shop they should measure your draw length then give you an idea of bows that will fit you and the draw weight that will work for you.
When looking for a bow pay attention when drawn to how the bow fits in your hand.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:55 AM

Depending on your budget I suggest trying the Elite Spirit
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Carbon Rose

Wife loves her Bowtech Carbon Rose. Jimbows in Calgary set it up for her. I suggest you give it a pull, see how it fits you.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Try as many as you can, don't think about name. Just let your hand feel what's right. Be sure you can pull 40lbs, the min requirement.

I would head to a archery only store, like Jimbow's in Calgary or Edmonton, and have them help you!
This is good advice ^^

Only thing I will add is don't worry about draw weight at the start shoot what is comfortable. Work on Accuracy first power second. It is easy to slowly work your way up
Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 AM

Default Cgn

Check out this ad. Don't know the seller but my be worth a look

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...lbs-PRICE-DROP
Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress91 View Post
Hey I'm looking into getting into bow hunting., but im not sure what bow would be the best for me ! Id be going after moose and elk and of course deer.
Are you sure you didn't mean " beau" hunting ?

Sometimes the spelling on this forum is terrible !
Old 01-27-2015, 11:22 AM

My other half was going to get a Carbon Rose. But now is waiting to try yhe new Bowtech Eva Shockey edition .
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM

Like everyone else says see what feels right, also what is in your price range. I shoot a 2014 Hoyt carbon spyder, (of course I have the vicxen addition but that's just for looks) it's a great bow and i can actually pull more weight then my previous bow because of the way it's designed. I was at 45lbs before and now I'm at 55lbs. Only thing about the hoyts is it comes with a big price tag.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 AM

For something not so extreme, maybe try some thing like a Mathews mission, as it only takes a minute to adjust the poundage. I think they are 20-60lbs. That way you can practice with a lower poundage and work your way up when you're comfortable with it.. and you can find some fully set up at a decent price.

Good luck in which ever you decide!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 PM

Default womens bows

Quote:
lots of great options, shooting as many as you can is your best advice, check out some top end customizable bows from Obsession Bows and Xpedition Archery as well. you can order any bow you like in your draw length, draw weight, custom camos, strings, the whole nine yards,

xpedition xcentric SD
obsession sniper gt
obsession knightmare gt

OC Archery, Airdrie, carries both brands, 587-223-2800, can text pics of some gorgeous womens bows.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:37 AM

Hey everyone!!! I wanna thank you for all your advice!! I have finally purchased my bow this past weekend! I ended up going with the Hoyt ignite! I'm in love haha I'm super excited to try bow hunting this year! Of course I'll still be going out with my .308 lever action cuz I'm not ready to retire that!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone!!! I wanna thank you for all your advice!! I have finally purchased my bow this past weekend! I ended up going with the Hoyt ignite! I'm in love haha I'm super excited to try bow hunting this year! Of course I'll still be going out with my .308 lever action cuz I'm not ready to retire that!
Congrats! Good luck this fall. From a fellow 91'er
Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 PM

Thanks !!! Hoping to be good enough to go after my moose this fall! ....that's if I get drawn!
Old 04-21-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Best Bow for a lady

ooops. nevermind
Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
My wife loves her bowtech carbon rose!!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:35 PM

My other half was just surprised with an Eva Shockley signature. Totally loved it from the first draw.