Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 PM

Default youth archery

Hi guys I'm sure this question has been asked over and over, but the little guy (age 4) has been showing interest in mom and dad's bows.
Who's started their kids early? Any experience to share, what age does everyone recommend? Any youth bows to recommend for the little guy?
Thanks guys and gals
Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 PM

My little guy is also 4 and turning 5 in may. I bought him the diamond atomic. He has held it and shot a couple times at the store. He loves it and fits him perfect ( he's small for his age)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 PM

Started my little guy at 5 on a Diamond Atomic and now at 6 he shoots the heck out of ballons at 10 yards
Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM

My little man started around 3 with a little recurve and shooting fingers with dad. Best advice I can give is do not force it and let them have fun.

Last edited by SportHuntingHelp; 04-15-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Default Bear first shot

On the advice of FallAirFever, i bought my daughter a Bear Archery 1st Shot fibreglass bow. it was all of $25 at Basspro. we got it for her for her fifth birthday 3 weeks ago. and shes been shooting it every night before bed since. its nice and light, and she can draw it easily. some things i've done is served some white dental floss, so her nock point is consistent. then cut up a milk jug for a tab to add to the arrow shelf, so the arrow stays on better. Planned changes are to change the rubber fletching to feathers, as i can see on her shots, the arrow goes sideways from fletching hitting the shelf.

Also, for target block/backstop i just use rigid foamboard insulation. then I printed pics of deer/moose/coyotes at work to aim at. her arrow dont penetrate through the 3 inches of material. and you should see her face light up when she hits centre mass on the deer pics.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:10 PM

John at T & T Archery in Sherwood Park has two special light bows for the tiny kids that want to try archery. They are light, finger draw bows and he is absolutely awesome with the kids. He'll get him started right and be able to answer your questions as to a proper bow for a youngster.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrks_jnz View Post
On the advice of FallAirFever, i bought my daughter a Bear Archery 1st Shot fibreglass bow. it was all of $25 at Basspro. we got it for her for her fifth birthday 3 weeks ago. and shes been shooting it every night before bed since. its nice and light, and she can draw it easily. some things i've done is served some white dental floss, so her nock point is consistent. then cut up a milk jug for a tab to add to the arrow shelf, so the arrow stays on better. Planned changes are to change the rubber fletching to feathers, as i can see on her shots, the arrow goes sideways from fletching hitting the shelf.

Also, for target block/backstop i just use rigid foamboard insulation. then I printed pics of deer/moose/coyotes at work to aim at. her arrow dont penetrate through the 3 inches of material. and you should see her face light up when she hits centre mass on the deer pics.
That's awesome to hear! Good job on getting her started.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:15 PM

I started out the little guy with a "Tomcat". He was 7 at the time. Then he enjoyed shooting so mush I upgraded him the the atomic. We put on a peep and a D loop and got him a release. He loves it.

Now I have a brand new tomcat with extra arrows for sale. Lol

Good on you for getting him started early.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 AM

Mathews Genesis Mini...lightweight grows with him up to 25" with instant draw...zero letoff...A mini version of the NASP Genesis used in all the schools...

http://mathewsinc.com/product/mini-genesis/

Neil
Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 PM

My little guy started shooting a bear fiberglass straight limb at 3 years, we just picked up a Pse mini burner for him on Saturday from t and t archery. He loves his new bow, unfortunately it's been windy for the last few days so I'm experiencing the "has the wind stopped"? Every hour upon the hour! Oh, and the Drury movie that came with the bow says something like Pse bows are the fastest made so obviously his new mini burner is much faster than my Bowtech! Supervision is key, teach them the rules and don't let them try to convince you to let them use the dog as their Bucky target! Make sure they have fun. Forgot to mention he is 5 now.

Last edited by Bigbuckwsm; 04-16-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 AM

I have a little bow that will work for that age group, i will just give it to you.

Suited both my kids well.

Kevin
780-918-2311
Old 04-17-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2053 View Post
I have a little bow that will work for that age group, i will just give it to you.

Suited both my kids well.

Kevin
780-918-2311
Outstanding... the Bowhunting/archery forum Rocks!!!

Neil
Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 AM

We started both kids early. Well as soon as they showed interest. About five for my son and four for daughter. Both kids shot a tiny bowtech diamond that grew with them rite up to now. Funny thing is the wife is tiny too now she shoots the diamond and the bow took over her helium. So nice to hear about the little ones being groomed in the shooting sports. Very nice offer kevin2053 Also nice to see fellow AO'ers helping each other out. Enjoy!!!