Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM

Default Swivels

Wondering what trappers opinions are of the use of swivels on snares/extensions . How many use them and are they really needed or beneficial ? I mean after a snared critter makes one circle around some entanglement what is it helping ?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 PM

The biggest benefit I've found is when setting the snare it's easier to get it to hang straight. Since I use snares on extensions the swivel is on the extension and allows for easy snare replacement. It seems most often the swivel is out of commission quickly on a catch like you said. Some snaremen reccomend the swivel be as close as possible to the animal to prevent this. I haven't seen the need yet using kill snares.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
The biggest benefit I've found is when setting the snare it's easier to get it to hang straight. Since I use snares on extensions the swivel is on the extension and allows for easy snare replacement. It seems most often the swivel is out of commission quickly on a catch like you said. Some snaremen reccomend the swivel be as close as possible to the animal to prevent this. I haven't seen the need yet using kill snares.
Thanx for the reply TFNG , I had them on all my extensions last year and also use the kill snares . I don't personally see a need for them but am asking cause I'm in the process of building more for next fall and wanted some other guys opinions .
Old 03-02-2015, 04:00 PM

I am using 3/32 - 1-19 cable and no swivels . Had no chew outs or any other issues. Don't see a need to switch or add anything here !

I am debating going with 1-16 th cable for some next year , and may put swivels on these , or maybe not ! Just want a smaller profile in some areas that seemed to be spotted /avoided .
Old 03-02-2015, 04:13 PM

i agree with tfng. they seem to hang better with a swivel. seems they really shine in open areas, with light cable. nice to have snares that will be good for any situation.

barrel swivels are easy to conceal.

fore sure, many a critter as been snared without swivels.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
The biggest benefit I've found is when setting the snare it's easier to get it to hang straight. Since I use snares on extensions the swivel is on the extension and allows for easy snare replacement. It seems most often the swivel is out of commission quickly on a catch.
My conclusion also.