Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-26-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
The government and industry would love to get rid of registered traplines. When people with no intention of trapping buy a line for 20 or 30k and try to sell it for 300k this is the kind of crap government will be loading into their files for the battle. Others have built what amounts to a house on their lines for a weekend retreat also with no intention of trapping. Very unfortunate for legitimate trappers that this sort of thing goes on. I think the recent letter is just the noose tightening a bit more.
Do you have pictures of any of these "cabin houses" that people have built as weekend retreats ? I'm not saying they don't exist but I keep hearing about all this Trapline abuse but nobody can ever show me a picture or give me any details of where they're located. Everybody has seen the one located South of Grande Cache that was for sale for 300K now down to 200K that failed to sell at the auction. Apparently there is one in the Wilmore that a couple dentists out of Edmonton own but all just rumours again.
Again I'm not saying there isn't people abusing the system out there, but it does seem to get talked about a lot more then I have ever seen out in the bush. Maybe just different areas that I don't frequent.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:05 PM

My biggest concern of mine when I bought my line is really I am buying something that can easily be taken away from me from the Gov't. This being trees cut down and oil as well as the who knows part and they might just shut trapping down.I basically own nothing when I have my name behind a line. It scares me that I have invested so much for a little return every year and it might not be worth a thing tomorrow.

I did not do much homework as to what lines are worth. The one I bought just happened to be one I knew about years ago and if it wasn't that specific one I am not sure I would have one right now. Since I have bought mine I have seen a lot for sale. Prices are mostly between 30-100K I have seen 1 or 2 for more than that and many from 30-100K. I don't mind buying something like this if I can be assured it is worth that when I sell or I can at least make some decent money at it but I don't feel very confident on the long range forcast for prices on a line. Hopefully they are worth the same or more later in life.

Id like to know about these nice cabins as well. Should we all have a cabin posting thread? lol
I think there are good and bad changes coming. I feel the same as spruce a bit when you see lines that are not being used for trapping. I know a couple guys that have lines passed down to them from family and they do not get used. Sad really. I know lots of guys that would love to trap them. As for some of the new rules ( if they come into play) I think will cause trappers a lot of grief. Lines will be cheaper because of it I think. Kinda sucks for guys that have lines
Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 PM

Nicest cabin I've seen is up between Clyde lake and Behan lake next time I'm up that way I will snap a few pics...pretty elaborate set up
Old 02-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Sorry do not know how to post picture/letter on AO.
you could type it word for word and post it as a reply.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 PM

How bout e-mail it someone. E-mail me if you want i willl post it
Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 PM

I don't think you have much to worry about nube. I've said it before about the price of traplines going down. As soon as the price of food, vehicles, land and houses drop traplines will follow suit, and as all those things increase in price traplines will follow them up. As long as people want them and have money to buy them their value will follow what the market will allow.
I would however like to see unused lines going to those that would utilize them though, it's a shame having them sit there inactive.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 PM

I am working on posting the letter but having issues.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:57 PM

the mystery letter . lol