Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-09-2015, 02:41 PM

Default Stolen lynx

So I think I mentioned a couple weeks ago about a lynx that got stolen from one of my pens. When I was on the line last week I ran into a worker there parked 80 yards form my lynx pen. He told me it was XTO oil that was working the area there. They had a huge 125mm soft hose that they were using to pump water out of the little smokey for 2 week and the worker was there to run the heater for the water pipe. He knew nothing of the lynx and was surprised to see me there.
I just got off the phone from the land lease guy and he told me he will look into things. Not sure how else to handle it?
I have had some issues with this company earlier. We had a meeting in my house which he was an hour late for and it took an hour to discuss trapline payments for things like this and new work being son on the line. It didn't go very well. I sent them a bill for my time which was not paid.

I also do not know if they have a permit for pumping huge amounts of water from the river.
I'm thinking I can be a thorn in their side right now. Anyone have the same type of situation? How did you deal with this? How do you think I should go about it here as well?

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of water being pumped out of the river. I know a 125mm hose is what my firetruck uses to get water out of a hydrant and my truck pumps 6000 litres a min......
They pumped water out of my lake next to my cabin this summer and I was told by the trapper they are not allowed to and that the lake has dropped a lot in the last few years.

Also concerned that my trapsites are disturbed and an oil company could care less.

I got a all into the Land guy that I met with in my house and he is going to talk with the oil head honchos but I don't expect much to happen right now. I'm looking for ways to step this up some and if I have to I will be a thorn in that companies side for as long as I can be. If they are doing something illegal I will be all over it and I won't feel bad about it one bit
Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM

I had a discussion with another member about what they are getting if anything from the oil companies. Basically for the amount being paid out it's not worth my time. On top of that the oil companies in my area had to deal with Whebo for the last 15 years before he died and I am nowhere near the thorn that man was.
I agree the water they are pulling out is terrible but they have permits for it, nobody would take a chance these days. SRD is more then willing to hand them out and even the small fly by night oil companies will cover their bases.
Unfortunately in this industrial province we are all prospering in this is not going away.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:54 PM

Not sure what others are getting Tork but I made enough on my first check from a company to buy a few Bridger #9 all chained up with drags! To me that is worth it and if that happened with all the companies it would pay for a lot of expenses
Old 02-09-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Not sure what others are getting Tork but I made enough on my first check from a company to buy a few Bridger #9 all chained up with drags! To me that is worth it and if that happened with all the companies it would pay for a lot of expenses
I guess every little bit counts. At the rate he's charging them I'd have to fight with 5 different oil companies for about $1500 a year. At that rate my sanity is worth more then the funds. Now if it was $15,000 a year I would likely be willing to spend a little more time chasing them around.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:42 PM

Thing that ticks me off is if any Native would say boo he gets a pocket full. I have a friend of mine at work who's wife negotiates oil and Native pay outs. It's into the tens of thousands at most times he said.

It also ticks me off for the amount that some companies do to destruction of the area and trapline disturbances they could at least give a small cherry to you every so often. The smaller companies I have worked with so far are far more willing to rub your back than the big ones making all the money. It's not like I am asking for a lot. It would cost them less than sending the land agent once a year to tell you to buzz off even. lol
Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your stolen pelt nube , if you find out who took it see if he has my coyote as well ..feelin your pain .
Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

I can understand your frustration Nube. On top of all the work that you have to put in running a trapline and dealing with companies that are in your area, it also sounds like you have to be a lawyer also.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 AM

Default trapline

Nube, as a general rule oil companies are best to deal with, it is the forestry companies that almost never pay any compensation. In reality if they removed the old growth trees off say 1 township of a 2 township line your revenue would be cut in half, thus over 20 year period the loss of revenue would be enormous.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM

The Company will have a Temporary Diversion Licence to take water out of any water body wether it is one cube or 100 000. I don't think they would risk getting caught without. A 8"-10" water line will move between 5-7 cubes per minute normally depending on how many pumps are used. I don't think they would be pulling that kind of volume out of the Little Smokey right now as the flow rates on the river right now would be fairly low and they are only allowed a small percentage of the flow rate. During spring run off they would certainly be able to crank up the volume.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:27 PM

Default Other Land users

Nube,

You are going to have a lot of trouble negotiating without any stats. You will need to be able to put numbers of catch and species to an area that will be disturbed. They aren't going to pay you for something you do not use. Unfortunately this will take some time. Once you put that in front of them though....pretty tough to dispute. This has worked quite well for others.

Spruce
Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 PM

Ya the land agent is making $1000 A DAY. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrr View Post
Ya the land agent is making $1000 A DAY. Good luck.
??? I don't understand what you mean
Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
??? I don't understand what you mean
Think he means that the land agent is probably a contractor to the company and charges out @ 1000$ a day.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 PM

Well, some good news about the lynx stolen. The land agent called me and the company has agreed to pay me for the lynx. That was a big surprise to me. He said even though I had no proof they figure since they are the ones working in such a close area to where it was taken that they will pay as it couldn't have been anyone else. Not really sure how to charge them for that now lol ? ? ?

Funny thing is the land agent wants to meet me to pay me. Like previously said probably $1000 a day to the land agent. If the oil company was even sending me a small check everytime the had a new PAD site or new cutline they built I wouldn't have even said boo.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Smile compasation & respect

It's too bad that the trapper is always having to fight for this type of thing happening . Companies don't give a Crap the mighty $ . If they get a little pressure in nube's case from a smaller outfit , then they do the honorable thing & make compensation knowing fair well they are to blame . The worker should have his back side kicked & gone to the unemployment line . The government is another problem , the mighty dollar , pulling strings . Too bad they can't have the nackers to slap these guys & give fair warning & to give the trapper the respect they deserve . Just my few on a frustrating situation .
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Banned

Glad to hear that this is being resolved, and that you are going to get a cheque. I suppose the price might be what the average price lynx pelts went for on last sale? I wonder if whoever took that lynx might have shown it to co-workers, or that company heard about from a worker and don't want things to be worse down the line.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:53 PM

I doubt that anyone knew who took it. I believe they are giving me the benefit of the doubt and basically he said that. He said that because the worksite they plowed into on the cutline was within 100 yard of the lynx pen there was no reason to doubt it was them. To prove I actually caught one would have been tough though. I think that lynx was worth 1000$ now thanks lol Glad it worked out. This company is not in my good books right now in a couple differnt ways but this makes it a bit better now at least.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
The Company will have a Temporary Diversion Licence to take water out of any water body wether it is one cube or 100 000. I don't think they would risk getting caught without. A 8"-10" water line will move between 5-7 cubes per minute normally depending on how many pumps are used. I don't think they would be pulling that kind of volume out of the Little Smokey right now as the flow rates on the river right now would be fairly low and they are only allowed a small percentage of the flow rate. During spring run off they would certainly be able to crank up the volume.
The little smokey is getting raped and pillaged at the moment, by multiple companies, Encana, XTO, Apache, and a few others. while there is very limited flow. ESRD doesnt even see the applications untill AER has allready approved them. . so much water has been removed from crooked lake that the outlet creek hasn't run in two years. Shell just got approved to pull five million cubes out of iosegun per year, another tributary to the little smokey. The little smokey is my favourite place to fish. It will be interesting to see whats left in the spring. I guess we better hope the fish can hold their breath. . . . .