Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Default Well, I am done

Took snares down today. Caught 4 fox and one last coyote to make 140 yotes this year. Plan to shoot another 10 if i can to make it 150

My year in review
140 coyotes about 15 of them were no good
15 foxes 1 was no good
32 marten
1 fisher
2 otter
48 muskrats so far
Too many weasels to count
9 lynx 2 were eaten

I think I can say I had a good year. I expected to do better on the trapline for Marten. It just took so long to get boxes out and explore new ground. Next year I hope to have 80+ boxes out and way more lynx sets going.
Kinda felt sad today pulling snares. I just didn't want to quit and had to go for a drive to look at some new territory for next year. I think I am an addict
Thanks guys for a great year. I appreciate the comments on the Journal I made. I think if we don't post our journal or our outings on here we are doing ourselves a disservice as trappers. We need to learn from each others experiences and also inspire the young up and comers as well as those that want to get into trapping. Hiding it isn't going to help. Thanks for all those that answered my questions even though they may have been dumb as well.
Can't wait till next year.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Congrats Nube on a good year ! Thanks for showing all the photos along the way and sharing info ! Can't wait to do it all again next year !
Old 02-18-2015, 08:11 PM

Right on Nube.... Any year is a good year. Thx for sharing everything you did with us, some of us are unable to do what you are and have to settle for stories, info, and pics from guys like yourself. Stellar man.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 PM

Really good year nube, loved the pictures and stories. Looking forward to all of your spring rat pictures(hint hint). Be sure to do a trapping journal again next year. Congratulations on a very good year.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 PM

Well said NUBE it was unreal following your new endevour.i cant wait till.next trapping season when you do er all again very few people share as you have and this truely keeps me alive and gives more drive.congrats on your season its a lifestyle thats truely hard to sustain anymore unless your a single man.just be carefull with the balance of family and your dreams because you and shoulda and many more been born 100yrs ago my friend.its been an hounour to follow your dreams.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 PM

That is definitely a successful season.
Congrats.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Banned

Congrats Nube, that's a great haul of fur! Now rest up a bit and get ready for muskrat season.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:47 AM

congrats on a great year Nube.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 AM

congrats on a great year loved the pics definatly do a trapline journal next year. I fully expect too see pictures of some wolves next year
Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Banned

Congrats on a fine season Nube. Don't hang up all your traps yet, as spring muskrats are right around the corner. Really enjoyed your journal, and I bet your first year was a real learning expieriance. Hope you get things sorted out with large companies that are active in your area. It was great meeting you and I hope to get the skulls you gave me euro'd over the next few months. I also look foreward to building different types of box sets for you as once i have them perfected i plan to sell high quality box sets at a fair price to other trappers.
Look foreward to next years journal.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 AM

I think you did an incredible job trapping and sharing your experiences with everyone here on this forum. I give you a lot of credit for your outlook on deliberately putting up your photos and doing it to exemplify the benefits of trapping in today's world where most folks look away from (or down on) it. Congratulations. I'm looking forward to your next year's journal.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 AM

congrats loved your photos and journals cant wait to follow you next year as you expand and learn your new country and the animals on it. I fear this year was only a warm up.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Not a trapper but did follow my cousins around when I was younger as they trapped muskrats in and around Leduc many moons ago. Always thought it was cool. I sure enjoy following yours and the other trappers seasons on here. I'm sure lots of us would love to follow any one of you around on the line for a hands on approach to see how it's done. Got to thank all of you who post pics and put up the stories. The coyote count was one I kept following as well.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 AM

I would call that a hell of a successful year...nicely done!!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 AM

Congrats on a first year on the line nube and a great catch . Really enjoyed following it daily and hope maybe you will continue thru the sommer as you make changes and improvemnet to your line ?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM

Good job Nube!! Shutting mine down tomorrow! Poor season for me, but oh well was still a good time!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Congrats on a good first year on your new line looking forward to next year!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 PM

great year nube cant wait till you catch your first wolf will here the cheers here in sask im sure lol
Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 PM

Thanks guys. I was going through withdrawals today lol Got to finish boarding some fur and then I am going to chase rats for a while I think. I won't go that crazy on it but will try and get the kids out and have some fun at least. Maybe try for a beaver or 2 for next years bait.

Mark, how did you make out on the beaver and muskrats on your line? Did you get any rats in thos pushups? Did you meet the numbers your local F and W wanted you to catch?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:36 PM

I've pulled my snares as well. I have 101 coyotes finished an 2 to finish tonight. Work has really picked up so I need to quit the retired life an go back swinging a chainsaw. Got a job clearing powerlines around primrose lake. All the lynx an wolf tracks on the base will drive me crazy
Old 02-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Thanks guys. I was going through withdrawals today lol Got to finish boarding some fur and then I am going to chase rats for a while I think. I won't go that crazy on it but will try and get the kids out and have some fun at least. Maybe try for a beaver or 2 for next years bait.

Mark, how did you make out on the beaver and muskrats on your line? Did you get any rats in thos pushups? Did you meet the numbers your local F and W wanted you to catch?
Thanks to you sir for sharing your exploits, your family, your successes and failures with all of us. From the numbers posted it looks like you had a fantastic season. Good luck and I hope you catch a truck load of rats and a few beavers as well. Looking forward to your next season on the trap line.

BW
Old 02-20-2015, 03:01 PM

Great year there Nube, it's been a pleasure following your adventures!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:49 PM

That's a lot of hard work and commitment. Congrats on a great season.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:25 PM

I had a late start but still ended up with 104 sellable coys. put first snare out Dec 23. Try to start earlier next year!