Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2015, 07:22 PM

Default Fun at Talbot Lake

One not so old guy, having fun, ...not great weather though

Stopped off at Talbot nice and early on Thursday. Weather started off nice as the skies cleared and everything was calm. I managed to land 6 whites in the morning and miss a few other hits. So it definitely started right. I released them all thinking I would get one later for the smoker. Then the wind kicked up...and up...and more. I tend to sight fish only for the whites there so the chop made that pretty near impossible. Most of the time I was ending up on top of the fish and already spooking them.

So, it was over quicker than it begun. Nice thing about Talbot is the pike are willing so I had some fun on the way back to the launch by landing a couple of pike.

I tried just out around the boat launch for whites. The wind really started howling. I tried for whites for a couple of hours but it was too hard in the wind. So, I packed up to go still happy what I caught...but still wanting one for the smoker. The wind died down. So unpacked again. Then the wind came up on the first cast...what the ___!. Okay, time to throw in the towel again. Then heading in I see a zodiac at the launch unloading. So, I figure I'll fish for a few minutes more until they clear out. Besides, I was really wanting to take a white for the smoker. Well, the wind was not helpful but I saw a group of about 12 whites or so that ran right up to the boat and were spooked. I still managed to cast in front of them and wham! One of the bigger ones took the hook. What a fight! Down to my backing, wind kicking up, trying to control the boat and fight the fish...everyone from the launch was watching...I'm sure I looked like a lunatic, key stone cop out there. Fish kept running under the boat and taking off again. It was crazy but totally fun. Took quite a while but I finally netted the white. Turned out to be near 23 inches and 4.5 lbs. Sweet success! The guy in the zodiac back at the launch thought I was fighting a pike. When he saw the size of the white I think his eyes popped out of his head...Then I got the "What are you using?....."

Pics:

Heading out in the morning

The smell of success....or the stink of a whitefish...

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Banned

Good fun - Good photos - Good fish - Good story for the forums. Everything you could want.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 PM

great stuff! enjoyed viewing!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:53 PM

Grats SNAPFisher .. lmao ..nice fight hey

when you get back home try your lake close by and have fun

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 09-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Grats SNAPFisher .. lmao ..nice fight hey

when you get back home try your lake close by and have fun

Thanks for sharing

David
Thanks!

Hmmm...I like where you are heading with that. I really have not had open water success there but this could be the right time of year for it. I'll give it a try and report back. If it doesn't work out, there is always sight fishing at Sylvan to make a guy feel like king of the whites....hope I didn't just jinx it