Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Default Need suggestions for camping and fly fishing - Calgary area

I recently took up fly fishing and I'm officially hooked but haven't caught anything in 2 trips to the Bow within Calgary. I'm going camping mid next week and figured I'd try to get my first (and hopefully more) fish on the fly. I was thinking K-lakes but should've booked a site months ago. I have a 5 weight and basic flies along with an 8 weight and some big pike/bull trout streamers, would love to catch my first bully but anything really will do. My camper is small enough and solar so power is not required, actually prefer to stay away from the big powered glampgrounds. Will be bringing my kayak but even streams would be fine as long as I can cast without losing all my flies to trees. Random camping or site camping are both good by me, I just need to feel that rod bend in my hands is the main thing. I'm a very respectful outdoorsman and guarantee I'll leave the place as clean or cleaner than when I arrive, hopefully someone is willing to share an area or campground. If you'd like to add fly suggestions that I can get at The Fishin Hole I'd appreciate that as well. Anyway, thanks in advance and may the fish gods smile on those who help me justify spending $700 on fly fishing gear. Cheers
Old 09-07-2015, 09:06 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing! I like you idea of trying the upper K lake for sure, my girlfriend caught her first cutt throat there this year. She was beyond thrilled. If you go that route, you could always hike up to Rawson Lake and try your hand there to catch a few cuttys. Another suggestion I have would be to camp in the Indian Graves area, then drive up to bear pond. Easy kilometre hike into the lake (could carry a kayak in there) and have some fun catching some eager cuttys!

Lots of good streams around too! Such as the Castle river systems or the crows nest. Go out and explore! Call Vic at the Crowsnest Angler and ask him for some suggestions! Even pop by there if you head out that way. He's a wealth of knowledge, and loves directing people in the right direction.

Cheers,
Brett
Old 09-07-2015, 09:48 PM

You will be fine getting a spot at any of the non reservation sites at k lakes now
Or drive south of high wood house on the forestry trunk road. Stop at any stream and toss a royal wulf and catch a cutty.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:55 AM

Cataract Creek is a nice place to stay and a great place to fish for someone new to fly fishing. Small brook trout above the falls and fun to catch.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions but I ended up booking into the campground at Upper K lake. I brainfarted and saw it was full for this saturday but it's next week I needed. Thanks again and I will check out your suggestions on the future, they all sound like a good time.

Any suggestions for flies, techniques and/or areas to kayak fish at Upper K?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Hit the kananaskis river. It's ok this time of year. Look for deep pools. Look on Google maps and you will see lots of places along highway 40.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
Another suggestion I have would be to camp in the Indian Graves area, then drive up to bear pond. Easy kilometre hike into the lake (could carry a kayak in there) and have some fun catching some eager cuttys!
No cutties in Bear Pond. Grayling only, catch and release. Ditto for Big Iron Lake a few km.s beyond. I`ve never fly fished there because there is only about 100 feet of shoreline without bush all around it where you could back cast, and if anyone else is there you might be hooped, on top of each other. More choices if you have a spinning rod and reel. If you have a kayak or float tube however, it would be very nice to fly fish.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 PM

One last question, is there any cell service at the campground or even middle of the lake? A buddy might be joining me and it'd be nice if he could contact me on the way out.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 PM

Drive a few hours to the upper oldman, Dutch creek, castle river or Carbondale. Sorry I can't take you. Caught monster cutthroat in the castle around the confluence of the south and west castle this weekend. I like various Adams patterns, size 12 and 14. Used a Royal Coachman with success.

Camping is easy right there either in campground or random.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No cutties in Bear Pond. Grayling only, catch and release. Ditto for Big Iron Lake a few km.s beyond. I`ve never fly fished there because there is only about 100 feet of shoreline without bush all around it where you could back cast, and if anyone else is there you might be hooped, on top of each other. More choices if you have a spinning rod and reel. If you have a kayak or float tube however, it would be very nice to fly fish.
I had a brain fart sorry, meant grayling. One of those times you read what you already typed, and had cutties on my brain. So automatically wrote cutties or grayling. Although you can be very successful on any of the sides of bear pond regardless of the bush. My girlfriend was able to practice her roll casting there this summer (first year on a fly rod) and was able to catch a ton of grayling. Don't need that much room to back cast at all.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I had a brain fart sorry, meant grayling. One of those times you read what you already typed, and had cutties on my brain. So automatically wrote cutties or grayling. Although you can be very successful on any of the sides of bear pond regardless of the bush. My girlfriend was able to practice her roll casting there this summer (first year on a fly rod) and was able to catch a ton of grayling. Don't need that much room to back cast at all.
x2 I use the roll cast 90 percent of the time when I fish the alpine lakes and ponds, as a shore fisher it's a huge advantage in fly fishing, it will save you lots of money from the bush lol. Quite effective too, but sometimes it will slightly drown your dry flies.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 AM

So apparently I booked into the wrong campground, Bow Valley is on the river that I'm trying to avoid so I cancelled my reservation. Does anyone know if the Lower Lake campground takes reservations or is it first come first served?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM

It's first come but I don't think you really need to worry about not getting a site this time of year.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
had cutties on my brain. .
Easy to do!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:19 PM

Default Castle River

If you end up down in southern alberta give me a call. Im looking to go out next week sometime

403-382-1175
Old 09-13-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMetal View Post
If you end up down in southern alberta give me a call. Im looking to go out next week sometime
I'd love to but I'm already committed to Lower K lake for this trip, maybe in 3 weeks on my next days off though.