Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Default Antron for dries?

I'm out of gray dry fly dubbing. Can I use Antron or an Antron blend for my Adams instead?

I balled up the Antron and the blend and tossed them in a bowl of water. They suspended in the water just below the surface, and when I tapped the bowl they sunk.

Will the hackle counteract this? I'm not in the habit of using floatant, but I do always have some on hand.

Can I make the Antron work?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:10 PM

I just tested some gray maribou to see how well it floats. It seems to be a bit more buoyant than the Antron, but it does still sink eventually. Would it be a better choice for dubbing?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:20 PM

ive used yellow and grey antron for dubbing..... The bug floats.....

it seems to work.

Never thought to test the buoyancy.... good idea.

I'm betting marabou retains water more once its wet....... but thats just a guess.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-06-2015, 04:17 PM

Thanks, bessiedog. I tried the maribou and rabbit. I switched to the Antron, and it is nicer to work with. The flies float in water, so hopefully I can just use some sinkant if I have troubles with them.

I haven't tied these guys in a couple of years, and they're pretty sloppy. And, at size 10, they're bigger than what I would normally use. By the time I get to the size 16s they should hopefully be nice enough to be useful.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Google CDC feathers. If you know a duck hunter you can get some of these and make a dubbing with it. Kind of grey undyed and floats like a dream. I tie a CDC elk hair Caddis and it floats like crazy, a few false casts to dry it and your good to go again.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Yes.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 PM

There is a YouTube video of a humpy tied completely with Antron except for the hackle so I assume it must be buoyant
Old 09-06-2015, 10:29 PM

marabou is horrible for drys, you will never get it dry and once it does dry its never the same.

Antron will work, not the most buoyant but its better then other materials like marabou!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Under wrap the body with some craft foam then it doesnt matter what you wrap the body with it will float. Very thin strip wrapped around the hook
Old 09-07-2015, 10:07 AM

I find antron to be tougher to dub as tightly as some natural types of dubbing, which leads to reduced floatability as it can absorb more water.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:45 PM

I tie my stimulators with antron yarn and a few other dries with antron dubbing. dab of floatant will help keep them afloat forever.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I find antron to be tougher to dub as tightly as some natural types of dubbing, which leads to reduced floatability as it can absorb more water.
Drat! I keep forgetting to email you. I've been meaning to. Doing it now.