Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Albertans getting screwed once again

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2015FLNR0268-001443

Last edited by spurly; 09-05-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Looking after residents first, to bad Alberta can't take a lesson from BC and Sask.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-05-2015, 11:23 PM

Default Albertans getting screwed once again

It really sucks, I fish these often and now that is going to change. Very good for the guides and residents.

However, when I was down there this summer. One outing we saw a CO. He told us he had talked to 19 anglers, in a very small area. It was the busiest I have ever seen this spot. And it's not an easy spot to get to. 30-40 minute hike in and out.

So I guess I can see where they are coming from at limiting pressure.

There are still some very good rivers around fernie that you can still go to. But my fear is that they will now become over populated as well.

I would be all for classifying our ES1 and ES2 rivers. An extra $15 a year for a seasonal classified license for residents, while tourists pay a daily $25 fee. I don't see how this model would be bad for some of our rivers. Extra cash could go to more CO, rehab, boat launches, access etc.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:58 PM

good, maybe the disgusting parade of spawner bull trout from the wigwam on social media will finally settle the hell down.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:18 PM

The 2 rivers/creeks get pounded so hard this needed to happen
I stopped fishing the wigwam a few years back because it was so busy
Old 09-08-2015, 08:32 AM

Totally supportive of this! Maybe Alberta should do something similar on busy rivers like the Livingston? I like the pay extra classified waters idea. Hopefully only the more serious and ethical anglers that know how to handle fish would bother paying the extra? I have no problem paying more if the money goes to conservation and improving the fishery.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
Totally supportive of this! Maybe Alberta should do something similar on busy rivers like the Livingston? I like the pay extra classified waters idea. Hopefully only the more serious and ethical anglers that know how to handle fish would bother paying the extra? I have no problem paying more if the money goes to conservation and improving the fishery.
Whoa there sister! Before you advocate giving the government more money to cut down on the number of people who "aren't serious", let's do what other provinces do and put residents first. IF there is (and I don't know that there is) a problem with over-fishing, make it residents only. It's already catch and release. Are there no fish in it anymore?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Whoa there sister! Before you advocate giving the government more money to cut down on the number of people who "aren't serious", let's do what other provinces do and put residents first. IF there is (and I don't know that there is) a problem with over-fishing, make it residents only. It's already catch and release. Are there no fish in it anymore?
I don't think making it "residents only" would work because it would get shot down as being discriminatory. Allowing limited access for non-residents through draw or lottery might work.

The real issue with the Livingstone is that a road runs along its entire length and every fly shop in Calgary suggests it as a mountain stream to try. There is similar, or IMO better, fishing elsewhere but people want something close and don't want to walk.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I don't think making it "residents only" would work because it would get shot down as being discriminatory. Allowing limited access for non-residents through draw or lottery might work.

The real issue with the Livingstone is that a road runs along its entire length and every fly shop in Calgary suggests it as a mountain stream to try. There is similar, or IMO better, fishing elsewhere but people want something close and don't want to walk.
There are all kinds of restrictions on non-residents with regard to hunting, so I doubt it would be deemed an illegal discrimination. I suspect, however, that your second paragraph about access is probably bang on.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:59 AM

I think this will improve the quality of angling experience on the Wigwam however I'm not convinced it was necessary for the Michel. The Wiggy has been featured in the International Fly Fishing Festival several times as well as the new Fly Fusion TV series. It truly is a unique fishery that is incredibly popular, so I get it. Something needs to be done.