Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Simonette river access via WMU 354

Hi , new to forums, great site and tons of info. Hoping to ask afew noob questions about WMU 354.

Im wondering if there is quad access to simonette river thru WMU 354.

Doin the good ol google map route, from highway 734, the river goes about 10 km east then turns south for 10 - 15 km then turns east again. Id like to get to where it turns east a 2nd time. There are some cut lines and what might be an old road.

Is it easier to get in there from the north? south east or west? lol or a combination of both? If I wanted to canoe or kayak in whats the best launch spot assuming id come out at the 734 bridge.

And one more thing, can anyone identify the exact stretch of river from this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKDk2FvzHM

Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Go south of Ridgevalley jog east on Twp rd 705, then south on rr 262 to the end of the range rd then through a cattle lease. Not sure if permission is required or who to get permission from as they did,nt have posted signs. There may be the odd gate to open and close. You can drive right to the river with a 4x4 pickup but just might want to do it in dry conditions. I have crossed the river at at least two other spots quite a bit further south than that also via the forestry trunk road (aka 734).
I didn't recognize the location from the video, but then I've only crossed the river in trucks and paddled the last section from the FTR bridge to the Smoky.

Last edited by riverman64; 09-11-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Adding a bit more.