Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 PM

Default Upper Clearwater

Anyone have much luck on the upper section of the Clearwater? Turned off at the Cutoff Creek road and made my way in about 9km to the Cutoff / Clearwater confluence. Cutoff was super clear and I didn't see a thing. I nymphed down towards the Clearwater and didn't get even a bite. From that section to about a km up stream I worked the area with streamers, nymphs, hopper/dropper setup.... everything but the kitchen sink. I only had a few hours as I had my daughter and Dad with me and didn't want to take up much of their time. Has anyone had much luck on this section? It was overcast and scattered light rain showers so I was figuring my streamers and nymphs would be the go to. Anyone that has fished this area what has worked for you? Any help would be cool, I don't often get skunked and there were a couple nice runs and some downed logs that looked like they should've been holding their fair share of fish.... at the very least some whiteys.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:16 PM

There are definitely fish there and if your lucky you can get into a 3-4 species day. The problem is there is alot of dead water so you often have only a few decent runs per km from my experience. Have had good luck on bullies and big browns on streamers.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM

I have had luck right under the first bridge over the Clearwater on the cutoff creek road. Whitefish and Bulls are what I caught.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 AM

Thanks guys, definitely needed a bit more time than just a couple hours for sure. Glad to hear you've hooked into some nice fish there!
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 PM

I actually caught two fish in one cast under that bridge. Bull trout I pulled in had half a whitefish sticking out of his mouth. Musta been real hungry
Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Id try some stoneflys or bh hares ear nymph