Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up Finally nailed the risers on the South Bow . . .

So I've been fruitlessly trying to land one of the many risers (6-9PM) in the South Bow River (from Southland all the way down to Deerfoot . . .) for weeks now without any luck. Until this week! With the help of this forum, I've discovered that I can get reliable hits with the following simple setup:

A size 14-16 caddis, followed by NO MORE THAN TWO INCHES of tippet (3-5x) and ending in a 14-18 green bead head chironomid. The chironomid is what they want. I haven't had a hit on caddis in a couple weeks. Really the purpose of that caddis is just to allow you to get the right depth presentation for the chironomid. You'd think that (being that it's only job is to float and not scare away fish) the dry fly would be arbitrary and that it would be nice to use something like a hopper that's easier to see, but I've had ZERO luck with anything but a smaller (caddis-ish) dry fly.

I wish I had PICS of my victory for you all but alas, the camera on my phone is effed thanks to my falling in the river last month . . . .

Good Fishing!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Nice going, love it when hard work and perseverance pays off.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks for sharing with us!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM

Or you could just use a greased up green sparkle pupa then let it swing at the bottom of your drift...the two fly method was an old guides trick back in the 90's. This time of year on days like today, blue skies and warm the fish are always looking up though are reluctant to stick there noses out of the water with any frequency...an emerger on the other hand which this technique is going for they gobble up like a fat kid on smarties...goodtimes!!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Nice! Very satisfying when you figure how to get them!
And thanks for sharing...

Tags
bow flyfishing, bow river, brown trout, fly fishing, rainbow trout