Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 PM

Default Making your own fly hooks... help

I have been scouring the net in search of information on making your own fly hooks (such as classic salmon irons) but I have failed to find one definitive source... Does anyone have any info to share? I have found out that there is a guy in Edmonton who does or did it (Tak Shimizu) and bits of information here and there but not enough to confidently get started in sourcing materials????
Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303enfield View Post
I have been scouring the net in search of information on making your own fly hooks (such as classic salmon irons) but I have failed to find one definitive source... Does anyone have any info to share? I have found out that there is a guy in Edmonton who does or did it (Tak Shimizu) and bits of information here and there but not enough to confidently get started in sourcing materials????
Thanks guys!
Partridge used to supply untempered salmon hooks that came as a straight wire with the barb cut into the wire and were pointed. You could bend them as you desired. The kit came with the queenching solution and instructions for how to temper in you home oven.

I used them when trying to make some Alec Jackson style hooks with a steeper bend and they turned out ok. This was back in the 1990's when Alan Bramley was still the owner.

Check with Partridge, they may still supply these although they are not on the web-site.

Also, you can check on un-tempering existing hooks so you can re-shape them. Then you can temper them again in the oven using mineral oil to quench the hot hooks

Last edited by gilbertslake; 09-11-2013 at 11:00 AM.