Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Default Check powder level in metallics under a bright light

Before you go seating bullets. Just a reminder!

with everyone getting pumped up for big game if the reloading isn't done by now this may be a timely warning/reminder.
For 40 years after I load a tray of rifle brass I always check the level of the powder in each casing to ensure they all look consistent.
Only found one empty cartridge in over 40 years of reloading.

Just had a client here training his dog and chatting he asked if I reload rifle cartridges. he then told me about his wife shooting an R1 and she stopped because she didn't think the bullet exited the barrel and may be stuck mid way out.
He thought she was being silly but when he checked the 30-06 bullet had not exited her barrel. he asked what would cause that and my answer was probably a partial or no powder in that casing at all so the primer sent it part way down the barrel. Putting another shell (especially with a semi like the R1) could have had disastrous results.

Lots of new reloaders on this forum and just a reminder if you don't weigh every charge (even if you do it is a good habit to get into) or use any kind of powder dispenser always check to make sure each cartridge appears to contain the same level of powder under a bright light before seating bullets in that tray.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:06 PM

very good advice!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 PM

Good info.

I have always had the habit for whatever reason of shaking a cartridge before I load it into my rifle (if it is an uncompressed load you can hear the powder move inside).

One day out hunting I was loading my .270 and it made no noise when I shook it....so I didn't want to use that one and tucked it in my pocket and decided not to load it.

When I got home I pulled the bullet and sure enough....no powder. My little habit paid off!

LC
Old 08-31-2013, 02:49 PM

Default Chargemaster Double Check

What I like to do is weigh the complete cartridge after the loading is done. Any error would be detected very quickly. Just recently I did a test box with two different bullets and powder charges. The numbers all added up. The heavier cartridges were @ 9 grains heavier than the lighter load.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
What I like to do is weigh the complete cartridge after the loading is done. Any error would be detected very quickly. Just recently I did a test box with two different bullets and powder charges. The numbers all added up. The heavier cartridges were @ 9 grains heavier than the lighter load.
I have a cheap electronic scale I use for this final check. I use one cartridge as a standard, tare that weight and then weigh the rest of the cartridges. They should all read zero +/- variance in weight of brass, bullet and charge.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 PM

Default final weight

Just finished loading a batch of 9.3x62 tonight. I have had one dud this year (no powder charge) in the 270, so I have gotten to weigh the final load. All of these brass were fired once, and all stamped RWS (the 9.3x 62), and I couldnt believe the difference in some of them! Upon further investigation, the stamp on some of the brass was slightly larger than the others, and the over-all weight changed by as much as 40 grains! They are now seperated to see if they shoot any difference at the range.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM

i stand with a light overhead with my loading block of charged cases i can scan them in seconds is the powder there and does it look like a proper amount
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 AM

if you don't weigh every charge [quote]

More than a good habit. If you're going to go to all the trouble of hand loading, why shoot yourself in the foot. Coarser powders, which means about all the rifle ones don't do well in powder measures. There can be significant differences. Also check the scale at eye level.

Grizz
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 AM

I don't dump my powder charges, and then put the cases in a loading block like many people do. I use the Chargemaster to drop the powder, and then I seat a bullet while the next charge is being dropped. Doing it this way, greatly reduces the chances of forgetting to put powder in a case. The Chargemaster also keeps a running total of the number of charges that it has dropped, so it will be obvious if there are less dropped charges than seated bullets.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Good advice, I always do.