Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Rust never sleeps!
Everybody must do there part to keep things moving.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM

With scope 1 you can read a license plate at 500 yards. With scope 2 you can't make out a couple letters. Some guys would have no problem paying $500 more for the better quality scope to see those letters. Will they see game at shooting range that they wouldn't have seen with the cheaper scope? No.

Will the guy who bought the Sako kill more game than if he had bought a Savage? No. People decide personally what they consider quality and what they are prepared to pay for it. A Porsche won't get you to work more reliably than a Ford.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
With scope 1 you can read a license plate at 500 yards. With scope 2 you can't make out a couple letters. Some guys would have no problem paying $500 more for the better quality scope to see those letters. Will they see game at shooting range that they wouldn't have seen with the cheaper scope? No.
I don't use a riflescope to read license plates, and I use binoculars to spot game. What I will pay extra for, is to have a scope that tracks consistently, and holds zero, and that is brighter and clearer in low light, so that I can properly place the crosshairs on the intended target. That brighter, clearer scope may allow me to see a twig or branch, that I could not see with a lesser scope, and in the last few minutes of legal time, it can better help me to properly assess the animals body position, so that I can place the bullet in the vitals. Game animals are not always broadside or in the open, so a brighter, clearer scope, can be an advantage.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I don't use a riflescope to read license plates, and I use binoculars to spot game. What I will pay extra for, is to have a scope that tracks consistently, and holds zero, and that is brighter and clearer in low light, so that I can properly place the crosshairs on the intended target. That brighter, clearer scope may allow me to see a twig or branch, that I could not see with a lesser scope, and in the last few minutes of legal time, it can better help me to properly assess the animals body position, so that I can place the bullet in the vitals. Game animals are not always broadside or in the open, so a brighter, clearer scope, can be an advantage.
What range are we talking about that you are incapable of judging an animal's body position with a Leupold VX-2 or a Bushnell Elite or Nikon Monarch scope?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
What range are we talking about that you are incapable of judging an animal's body position with a Leupold VX-2 or a Bushnell Elite or Nikon Monarch scope?
At 200 yards it can be difficult if the animal is partly obscured in the timber at first or last legal light. You can see the animal, but it isn't always easy to see the exact angle of the body, to determine where the vitals are. If you are hunting in B.C. , as I have done several times, it can be difficult at 100 yards, at first or last legal light.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
At 200 yards it can be difficult if the animal is partly obscured in the timber at first or last legal light. You can see the animal, but it isn't always easy to see the exact angle of the body, to determine where the vitals are. If you are hunting in B.C. , as I have done several times, it can be difficult at 100 yards, at first or last legal light.
So you have actually had that problem with the scopes I mentioned, but no such problem with the Swaro or whateever else you now use? I guess it depends on one's eyes.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
So you have actually had that problem with the scopes I mentioned, but no such problem with the Swaro or whateever else you now use? I guess it depends on one's eyes.
In ideal conditions, brightness and clarity are not as important, but in the toughest conditions, every bit helps.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm not that easily offended, Dale.

I really don't think I'm much different than many of us on the forum who get bored, and have as much fun in flipping guns as we do in keeping them. As you know, if you buy at a good price, you don't really lose much. So what's the big deal? And as for why I would get a few Sakos in a relatively short period of time before getting the one I really wanted, there are three reasons. First, I never really wanted a Sako Hunter, but the deal was right. Second, I did really want a Bavarian, but after getting one and shooting it a few times, I realized the stock may not be that great under inclement conditions, and it didn't fit me that great either. Third, there aren't Coopers just growing on trees, new or used.

As far as caring about how things look in the field, I don't care that much, particularly about a scope. I was just asking a question that I think a lot of people ask. I'm sure you read many of the same forums I do, and see how often people ask: a) What's the best scope under $500? and b) What's the best scope under $1000? If you haven't noticed that, just google the questions and you'll see that many have the same question. I just combined the question. Not that out of the ordinary.

If you take some time to read the context of my post, I don't think I'm much different than most people in wanting to get good quality gear for a hobby that I enjoy.

Is that really that annoying to you that you have to talk about my "mom" and call me "blonde?"
Dale is just baiting you for an argument. Dont buy into the troll fishing.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
In ideal conditions, brightness and clarity are not as important, but in the toughest conditions, every bit helps.
OK, well I can amend my postion. There may be situations where it could make a diffence. I think for most of us, most of the time it won't. But if you are on a sheep hunt in horrible conditions, long ranges, etc. Yeah, I could see it making a difference and to be worth the extra money. Fair enough.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
As you know, this Conquest is the best scope I've had to date. It replaced a VX2. Anyhow, two years ago, I was hunting some land I own in WMU 250. I was in a ground blind with Bobby B. We rattle out a young buck. Being the meat hunter that I am, I wanted to take it. Bobby B then goes to work trying to politely convince me that I will regret it. The buck then walks back in the bush. He comes out again, but this time further away, about 400 yds IIRC. I then grab his gun, just for giggles, and tell him I want to shoot an animal with a .260 loaded with Bergers. The gun is topped with a really nice Swaro, not a Z3 which I've been considering. I was absolutely blown away by the difference in how and what I was able to see.

Now back to Elk's comments. For a four year stretch I used to hunt moose in Northern BC, as the season opened on Aug 15th. Lots of black timber, big cut-blocks and hillsides, and lots of mist/fog in the morning. In those conditions, the kinds of scopes that Elk uses, absolutely can make a big difference. Having strained my eyes through a VX1, which I used at that time, to make out antlers on a moose when they are in full velvet, and in foggy first light conditions, I totally get what Elk is saying.

Trust me, if I could afford it, I wouldn't be starting this thread. I would be watching the boys at P&D mount a scope like Elk's or Bobby B's that costs well in excess of $1000. But alas, I can't afford it. Right now back-to-school supplies and clothing are my priority. Someday though

And that's the whole point of my thread. What is the real world difference between what is currently affordable for guys like me (and maybe us) vs what may take a few years of saving the scheckles for?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Whisper View Post
Dale is just baiting you for an argument. Dont buy into the troll fishing.
Thanks, man. When he posted that, my fingers went into overdrive crafting a smartass response that would have stooped to his level. I then realized that I don't want to be thought of the way many members of the forum think of him.

He's just mad because I joined a few other people who called BS to a wild shooting claim he was making. Hopefully he'll get over it or put me on ignore if I bother him that much.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Now back to Elk's comments. For a four year stretch I used to hunt moose in Northern BC, as the season opened on Aug 15th. Lots of black timber, big cut-blocks and hillsides, and lots of mist/fog in the morning. In those conditions, the kinds of scopes that Elk uses, absolutely can make a big difference. Having strained my eyes through a VX1, which I used at that time, to make out antlers on a moose when they are in full velvet, and in foggy first light conditions, I totally get what Elk is saying.
Not to mention that the legal hunting hours in B.C. are different than in Alberta.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Where'd you grow up? Newfoundland
Ha, yea many would concider Newfoundland a different country.

You got the NEW & LAND right thought. New Zealand.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

after using some in that range and looking through hunting partners' stuff in that range I have come to the conclusion that up to around 500 bucks, there is a steady upward climb in quality. however, once you hit 500 bucks, there is much less difference in the next big leaps upward in price. what I mean is that a 500 dollae scope is going to be twice as good as a 250 unit, and 5 times better than a 100 dollar tube. now get to 1000 dollars, performance does not seem to be twice that of the 500 and up into the 2000 dollar stuff, the difference is even less. its there alright, but based on the jump versus price I don't believe it directly correlates. that's my opinion.....

now go google that schit,and you will see that most comparisons you will find on the subject will show that the vast majority of writers of the articles you will find will reach a similar conclusion.

so is 500 bucks enough to get a good quality scope for what the vast majority of hunters will ever use it for?.....absolutely! does that mean its dumb to spend 2K?....hey, whatever floats yer boat.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM

If all your doing is hunting within 300 yards I don't think you'd need to spend more then 500 bucks on a scope and could probably get by with a 250-300 dollar scope. You also don't really need to spend more then 500 on the rifle as well, since most rifles on the market today should be able to hit a pie plate at 300 yards. But some people do and that's because they WANT something better, not because they NEED somethng better to kill a deer.

Now if you want to get into tactical shooting or long range hunting that's a whole new ball game and 500 should be the minimum your spending on your scope IMO and that's if you can find one on sale. You also should be spending north of 500 on the rifle to get the kind of accuracy you'll be looking for.

If your expected shots will be less then 150 yards just buy good binoculars and use open sights. For me I'd invest 600-700 into a Lever Action and put 200-400 into binoculars because your most likely going to be using them in thicker bush where there could be less light.

That's just how I look at optics. If you can afford it you should have a gun setup for each type of hunting situation I listed above. In order of price the tactical/long range should cost you the most and come in over 1200 at minimum with scope and rifle set up, the 300 yard hunting gun should come in anywhere from 700-1000 for the same and the lever action should be the cheapest at 600-700 hundred dollar range. It really depends on what your trying to accomplish to decide if the jump from 500-1000 is worth it in a scope IMO.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Default Sorry if I offended You

PS: I used a Bushnell Banner 4x on my first rifle for 14 years. but in low light conditions it was like looking through frosted glass

Non variable scope has less lenses so less light getting lost .... That's why can see better in low light condition ....

Sorry if I offended you , and thanks' for driving the economy ....
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
PS: I used a Bushnell Banner 4x on my first rifle for 14 years. but in low light conditions it was like looking through frosted glass

Non variable scope has less lenses so less light getting lost .... That's why can see better in low light condition ....
That's a great theory, and it holds true if the lenses and coatings are of equal quality. However, the quality of lenses and coatings varies, so a variable scope with better quality lenses and coatings, can transmit more light than many fixed power scopes.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Default That is true

Quote:
That's a great theory, and it holds true if the lenses and coatings are of equal quality. However, the quality of lenses and coatings varies, so a variable scope with better quality lenses and coatings, can transmit more light than many fixed power scopes.

That is true,
Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Lots of sifting through videos but some good general scope info.

Just getting into long range shooting. Looking to dial into very close first shot at 1000 yards and up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTca3wF35Og

At about video 21 they get into ratings. All opinions like everything else.

So far I like my Nikon Monarch 6.5x20 for clarity and low light conditions.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM

I bought a Monarch III and I can't tell the difference in clarity between it and my VX3.. So...? At the end of the day if it gets you on target, holds a zero, then I would personally save the money. However, Im just an average hunter, no 400 yard shots here.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Reading through this thread, I realize just how far out of step I am. I have never even owned a 500 dollar scope; never mind 1000. I only have two variable power scopes, however, and this partially accounts for the lower cost of my optical choices. I do have some scopes which would have cost over five hundred if I had bought them in the wrong place but I did not do so.
Anyway, this turns out to be one of those threads which is only of acedemic interest to one such as I. I have to wonder, are most of the guys on here like the OP and agonize over whether or not they should drop 1000 bucks on a scope, or are they like me and agonize over whether or not they should buy a new Bushnell or fill the truck with gas? Leeper
Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
Reading through this thread, I realize just how far out of step I am. I have never even owned a 500 dollar scope; never mind 1000. I only have two variable power scopes, however, and this partially accounts for the lower cost of my optical choices. I do have some scopes which would have cost over five hundred if I had bought them in the wrong place but I did not do so.
Anyway, this turns out to be one of those threads which is only of acedemic interest to one such as I. I have to wonder, are most of the guys on here like the OP and agonize over whether or not they should drop 1000 bucks on a scope, or are they like me and agonize over whether or not they should buy a new Bushnell or fill the truck with gas? Leeper
No agonizing here, Leeper. Just asking a question, which btw, is what smart people do, in contrast to the first class as_holes that have anointed themselves as bastions of all things firearms related, and mock people who don't see the world through their foggy lenses. And I'm not talking about you.

As for me, I'm gonna stick with my "cheap" $500 scope. Finally, if you want an idea of how many people have this same question, go into the gun store of your choice and look at whether the number of choices between $500 and $1000. It's a pretty common question.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Is that really that annoying to you that you have to talk about my "mom" and call me "blonde?"
Degrading people that question your motives as a-holes seems to be a common occurrence with you. That should end.

I feel bad for posting what I did, because after reading some of your recent posts I realize you are not all that experienced, in shooting and loading.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 AM

My only reason for posting on this at all is that, when reading these threads, one could get the idea that spending big bucks on optics is mandatory for hunting success. It just isn't so.
Still, there is nothing wrong with buying that which is perceived as being high quality if that is what one finds to be fulfilling. I sometimes worry that I am too much a cheapskate! Leeper
Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Personally, I think the leupold vx-II is a pretty darn good scope for the money. I lean towards leupolds due to the warranty. Not that you ever have to use the warranty on a scope, but in the odd chance you do, it's top notch. Ever try to get warranty work on a Burris or Nikon? Might as well pull your own teeth, it's easier and less hassle. My Burris had to go stateside to the factory in Utah for its work/replacement. In the end, it was 5 months before they agreed to replace, and sent me a voucher for cost of replacement, which was in US pricing. So, no I did not the same of value of scope back, plus in the meantime, I purchased a leupold to put on the gun. But, the new Zeiss are very nice, and are excellent in low light.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
My only reason for posting on this at all is that, when reading these threads, one could get the idea that spending big bucks on optics is mandatory for hunting success. It just isn't so.
This right here.

SNS2 also has it right: there are a lot of choices out there. I also find that when I research and try out scopes, when passed to another person, they either see more or less depending on a bunch of other factors like quality of eye sight, interest, opinion, etc.

Long story short, buy what fits you and your budget. Lots of game taken over the years with gear that we turn our noses up at now or regard as poor quality because we found something "better" or we're told it's "better" and we don't have the patience or skill level to deal with the older stuff.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
No agonizing here, Leeper. Just asking a question, which btw, is what smart people do, in contrast to the first class as_holes that have anointed themselves as bastions of all things firearms related, and mock people who don't see the world through their foggy lenses. And I'm not talking about you.

As for me, I'm gonna stick with my "cheap" $500 scope. Finally, if you want an idea of how many people have this same question, go into the gun store of your choice and look at whether the number of choices between $500 and $1000. It's a pretty common question.
Im not going to lie that im abit confused because you sold your sako bavarian to buy the rifle you really wanted....the cooper.Then Just days ago you were trying to sell your cooper and zeiss scope,but now you are not,which is probly a good idea!

Your $500 zeiss scope is just as good as a $900 swarovski Z3 and even better than a $750 VX3 Leupold....

Hunting season comes fast and goes by even faster....now get to the range and shoot that Thing!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Degrading people that question your motives as a-holes seems to be a common occurrence with you. That should end.

I feel bad for posting what I did, because after reading some of your recent posts I realize you are not all that experienced, in shooting and loading.
Let me cut to the chase. Sometimes I am not as forthright as I should be. The reason I started the POS thread a few weeks ago was largely because of you, and one or two others who follow your lead. I really don't call many people as_holes. And if you can't figure out why I would hang that label on you, oh well. You then chimed in on this thread with your usual ignorant comments that had absolutely nothing to do with the opinions/information being sought. I actually authored a very blunt reply to you that referenced your old lady, but reason caught hold of me and I didn't want to be perceived as being like you in any way, shape or form, so I deleted it.

Have enough balls to admit that your ignorance toward me is really because you can't get over the fact that I joined a few other people in calling BS to your ludicrous claims of routine, long-range accuracy, which if true, would have lumped you in with the world's best shooters. That's really your problem. You are also still insulting toward the at least two other people who questioned your claims. Couple that with the fact that you are probably just a pompous blowhard, and people can better understand your ignorant posts.

So, if you continue to respond to my posts in an ignorant way that is not related to the thread, then I will call you exact what you have shown yourself to be. If I get banned for responding to your crap, so be it.

Now go away to your garage and melt some lead for your bullet-making hobby that you have taken up. Finally, Dale, try not to lick lead off your fingers, as you obviously have for way too many years.

Last edited by sns2; 08-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Im not going to lie that im abit confused because you sold your sako bavarian to buy the rifle you really wanted....the cooper.Then Just days ago you were trying to sell your cooper and zeiss scope,but now you are not,which is probly a good idea!

Your $500 zeiss scope is just as good as a $900 swarovski Z3 and even better than a $750 VX3 Leupold....

Hunting season comes fast and goes by even faster....now get to the range and shoot that Thing!
Hi Junkie. I never had the Cooper for sale. I am quite certain that you are referring to another guy on AO who was selling the exact same gun I just bought. I know that for a fact because a fellow AO member came to my house this week to handle mine before he bought the one that was on the buy & sell. But I could see the confusion with this thread I started and that other Cooper being listed a couple of days later As for me, I bought a Sako Hunter and then quickly traded it for a Sako Bavarian. I then sought out a trade for a Cooper which is what I wanted all along. Was able to swing a reasonable deal with Prophet River. I Have never tried to trade or sell the Cooper. Plan to keep it for a while. This hunting season at least.

Gonna shoot the Cooper this afternoon if it doesn't rain.

Last edited by sns2; 08-30-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Hi Junkie. I never had the Cooper for sale. I am quite certain that you are referring to another guy on AO who was selling the exact same gun I just bought. I know that for a fact because a fellow AO member came to my house this week to handle mine before he bought the one that was on the buy & sell. But I could see the confusion with this thread I started and that other Cooper being listed a couple of days later As for me, I bought a Sako Hunter and then quickly traded it for a Sako Bavarian. I then sought out a trade for a Cooper which is what I wanted all along. Was able to swing a reasonable deal with Prophet River. I Have never tried to trade or sell the Cooper. Plan to keep it for a while. This hunting season at least.

Gonna shoot the Cooper this afternoon if it doesn't rain.
LoL...my mistake,I thought that was you selling the rifle....I got abit mixed up!

Coopers are great hunting rifles! Have fun at the range!