Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Default Sako scope mounting problems

I bought a sako a7 in stainless with a Burris 40mm scope on it. Just bought a leupold vx2 50mm bases were to short sent a friend into cabelas the sales guy gave them weaver mounts stainless high but their to wide scope won't sit in them anyone had this issue wanted leupold rings and bases but can't seem to find them for sako super frustrated
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlow View Post
I bought a sako a7 in stainless with a Burris 40mm scope on it. Just bought a leupold vx2 50mm bases were to short sent a friend into cabelas the sales guy gave them weaver mounts stainless high but their to wide scope won't sit in them anyone had this issue wanted leupold rings and bases but can't seem to find them for sako super frustrated
They are probably 30mm rings not 25mm
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM

It's the width of the rings not where the scope sits the distance between the action
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 PM

I see i took you wrong on width of the rings yes ive run into that problem with leupolds having short tubes not fitting standard bases on long actions see if you can get a offset front base if you want to stick with weaver style or call around somebody must have the correct leupolds your looking for how is it close to fitting if so mayber some burris rings or something not so fat as the weavers
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM

Buy a set of Talley one piece from Prophet River. Happy, Happy happy you will be. Might get away with mediums but Clay or staff will advise or someone else might chime in.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM

Had the same issue with my Sako A7, bought DNZ one piece base and rings and a Vortex Viper. Now its my new favorite rifle.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 PM

try taking the A7 to P&D or cabelas and try the leupold dovetail bases (2 pice) for browning A bolt with the Leopold twist and lock rings, maybe that mite work for you?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM

Cabelas was no help called prophet river in Lloyd guys were awesome all fixed up with talley one piece won't deal with anyone else they have a customer for life don't mind driving 2.5 hours for the right service
Old 09-01-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Cabelas was no help called prophet river in Lloyd guys were awesome all fixed up with talley one piece won't deal with anyone else they have a customer for life don't mind driving 2.5 hours for the right service
Did you buy the rail or the light weight ones did you have any trouble mounting it now halve a buddy with Sako and scope same problem
Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Mounts

I had some problems too with my new A7 300 win mag. Went to the Browning 2 piece set and dovetail Leopold rings. They fit nice with only medium rise for the 6 x 24 x 50mm I put on top. I use blue locktite on the screws mounts, sometimes the odd one turns loose after a lot of firing at the range.
Still a lite rifle, groups great, even after I get a sore shoulder.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
You sent a friend? Why? ..... Too lazy to pack your gun and scope to the store and ensure that you come out with the correct gear? That is too silly, bring your gear in and ensure that it all fits. Failure to do that doesn't give you carte blanche to blame anyone else.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Go to Proline. They have both Leupold mounts and Optilocks that will fit. Optilocks are made for Sako. Bit more but they are bomb-proof.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Go to Proline. They have both Leupold mounts and Optilocks that will fit. Optilocks are made for Sako. Bit more but they are bomb-proof.
don't think optalocks will fit an a7 though