Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Cooey! Is this one a rare one???

My collection started with a Cooey model 600 I recieved from my father, who recieved it from his father and Iv been hooked on Cooey ever since. The next addition to the collection is a single shot 12ga with full choke that I purchased from a local gun show. This one in particular caught my eye as it was in the better shape than the others I had seen there, the bluing was worn a little but not a spec of rust or pitting and the stock has no cracks, just a few dings here and there, and the clear coating is flaking a little. But this one has me stumped.... On the price tag they had tied to it was clearly marked Cooey 84, but on the receiver its stamped "Hiawatha". Upon bringing it home I began doing my research, forums etc. I have come up with nothing other then a list of Cooey models Iv viewed here in other threads. A friend of mine has one stamped "Ranger" and the action and barrel are identical tho his furniture is checkered with an image of a duck on the bottom of the grip and mine are plain.

here is a link to an image that is identical to mine,
I will post pics as soon as I can get then to upload. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ne67QhEaeC...th+targets.jpg

Last edited by SurvivAL; 09-03-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: pics wouldnt upload
Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooey_84

Nothing on the Hiawatha name, but a bit of info on the model 84.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:07 PM

thank you for the reply. Im vary familiar with the model 84 and other Cooey models but this one really has me stumped. Non the less, its vary solid and vary reliable.

Al.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Default Cooey

Hi Al,
Cooey used to Sell rifles and shotguns under store brands as well, there are also Hiawatha .22s out there- they are similar to a model 39. Don't qoute me on this but I think they are from Eaton's. The quality is still excellent and not much changed beyond the markings. I have never personally seen a Hiawatha 12 gauge and would have to say it's a fairly rare thing. There are a few other members with far more knowledge than me that will hopefully help you out a bit. If not Google R&T Firearms and give them a call, Roy is happy to answer questions, he also has the largest selection of Cooey parts I've ever seen and usually has a few for sale.
Good luck!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Hiawatha was Marshall Wells Hardware Stores "branded Cooey". Once upon a time I had a Hiawatha bicycle, baseball glove, rubber boots, 22 short ammo, crayons..................! Hiawatha was a real busy dude.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Hiawatha was Marshall Wells Hardware Stores "branded Cooey". Once upon a time I had a Hiawatha bicycle, baseball glove, rubber boots, 22 short ammo, crayons..................! Hiawatha was a real busy dude.
Awesome! Thanks for the information.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that info, really helped put much curiosity to rest, much appreciated.

Al.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
Hi Al,
Cooey used to Sell rifles and shotguns under store brands as well, there are also Hiawatha .22s out there- they are similar to a model 39. Don't qoute me on this but I think they are from Eaton's. The quality is still excellent and not much changed beyond the markings. I have never personally seen a Hiawatha 12 gauge and would have to say it's a fairly rare thing. There are a few other members with far more knowledge than me that will hopefully help you out a bit. If not Google R&T Firearms and give them a call, Roy is happy to answer questions, he also has the largest selection of Cooey parts I've ever seen and usually has a few for sale.
Good luck!
Hi Boogerfart,
Here's a quote from John Belton book:
"Hiawatha, house brand for Macleod's Limited of Winnipeg, Manitoba for distribution to the retail markets in Western Canada."
Good day,
JP
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I got an old Hiawatha outboard from the late 50's