Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 AM

Default being a jerk is pretty impressive

this is kind of a useless thread i know but it seems like every time im in a gun shop, either a customer, but usually a sales associate, is bragging about how much crap they gave some guy for unsafe practices at the local range that weekend. it almost never merits the level of reaction they describe. Its almost like its an attribute to their credibility to make someone feel like an idiot then tell everyone as if it will make the customer trust them more. IMO if people really cared about making the sport safer and welcoming for newcomers, it wouldnt matter who knows about it, there is absolutely zero benefit there. Think about if the guy thats hearing this across the counter has a new or interested shooter with them, thats a huge turn off for them if they think they are just going to get humiliated for learning. Grinds my gears.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Teacher's syndrome, belittle accomplishments and actions of others to blur their own limitations. Happens all the time.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Teacher's syndrome, belittle accomplishments and actions of others to blur their own limitations. Happens all the time.
"Teachers Syndrome" - interesting diagnosis by a learned observer and expert in the psychology of human nature
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Its a delicate thing to be able to correct & educate someone in a way that they'll not become too defensive or confrontational. I note this from both sides of the exchange, as I have been, and will continue to be on both sides of learning until the day I die. Many people lack tact, many others think they know everything already and won't listen to voices of reason; there's two sides to it. Even when approached with tact, some people will never tune in.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Its a delicate thing to be able to correct & educate someone in a way that they'll not become too defensive or confrontational. I note this from both sides of the exchange, as I have been, and will continue to be on both sides of learning until the day I die. Many people lack tact, many others think they know everything already and won't listen to voices of reason; there's two sides to it. Even when approached with tact, some people will never tune in.
X2 ^ ... part of the 'Human Condition'

Mac
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Tact: For those not witty enough to be sarcastic.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Tact: For those not witty enough to be sarcastic.
"Like"
Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM

yeah many times i go in to WSS or cabelas and start chatting /seeking reload components and yeah theres sure an air of ignorance towards me till they figure out i know more than them about shooting(not that i know everything but think im doing pretty good)........then they get more civil/friendly(stop looking at you like a bug on a pin).......kinda what i mean . not all the time but most of the time. kinda funny actually , oh well . was only to cabelas the one time so far and they were very helpful though.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Default *****s

sure sounds like the know it all tools at WSS.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Gone Hunting

I had a most pleasant experience last time I was in WSS.

That was a couple of weeks ago.

I don't remember the young man's name but I do remember his attitude.
It wasn't a know it all attitude, it was totally a how can I help you attitude.

I told him I was looking at sonar combo units but didn't intend to buy this time.
He showed me what they had in stock, answered my questions clearly and politely. Overall he radiated a can do attitude and a maturity far beyond his obvious youth.

He said he was 16 years old and he looked it. But he acted like a seasoned businessman. I told him I was impressed with the way he did his job and I told his supervisor the same thing.

His supervisor told me that they had lots of compliments about this young man. I found that very easy to believe.

All businesses get at least a few poor workers, only the fortunate few every see even one like this young man.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 PM

A good sense of sarcasm and the recipient's sense of humility are underrated teaching tools.