Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM

Default New Remington 870

I just bought a new 870 couple weeks ago and I was wondering witch is the best choke for it I do a lot of clay shooting but I also wanna take it out bird shooting
Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckflyfisher View Post
I just bought a new 870 couple weeks ago and I was wondering witch is the best choke for it I do a lot of clay shooting but I also wanna take it out bird shooting
You will have to figure that out for yourself, as each gun and each shooter's style is different.
Generally however, a MOD for lead and IC for steel will be fine.
If you are doing informal clay shooting with your own thrower IC will work for that as well.
I quite often us IC in all my gauges on an ATA trap course, but I shoot fairly quickly.......
Cat
Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 PM

Clays can be hand thrown, to a portable launcher to official trap or skeet, and different chokes work best for the various versions. The same with shooting birds. I would use improved cylinder for clays thrown by hand, with a portable launcher, or for skeet, and upland birds over dogs, or waterfowl at short range, over decoys. For official trap, upland birds or pheasant at longer distances, and pass shooting geese, a modified choke would generally be a better choice.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 PM

Ok thanks my buddy got a Winchester with a modified choke and its nice when where shoting skeet
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks my buddy got a Winchester with a modified choke and its nice when where shoting skeet
Actual skeet, actual trap, or clay targets thrown by hand, or with a portable thrower? A pump action like the 870 isn't ideal when learning to shoot skeet, because actual skeet requires you to shoot doubles. A beginner has enough trouble trying to swing the gun properly, without having to cycle the action fast enough to shoot doubles at skeet.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-01-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:05 PM

We got a cheap thower from bass pro I bin told that no choke is better for skeet
Old 09-01-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckflyfisher View Post
We got a cheap thower from bass pro I bin told that no choke is better for skeet
N"no ch9ke would be a cylinder bore choke BTW, I've heard of people shooting their guns without a choke in them - great way to wreak a barrel!!
I still stand by my original recommendation of IC however.
Even though some of my guns are cylinder bore, the majority of them are IC/MOD . I use all my field guns on American skeet and trap courses and with hand throwers as well as hunting them.
Cat
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
If you have one portable thrower, then you aren't actually shooting skeet. And yes, most people choose a more open choke such as cylinder(no restriction), or skeet(slightly more open than IC), or IC to shoot actual skeet.