Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Default Mystery, or wishful thinking?

I have question for the folks that do a lot of load development. I was at the range yesterday testing some new loads out, and wonder if anyone has ever had a bullet through the same hole and not be able to tell the difference between shots. My first group of the day with an untested combination of bullet and powder in this gun resulted in the first two shots .75" away from each other, 2" over the bull, and the third shot......couldn't find it. I have trouble believing that it was off paper (20" square target, 100 yards ), but have more trouble believing it went through the same hole. Thoughts anyone? I loaded only the three for fouling shots as an afterthought, expecting to find a load with different components, and now I HAVE to do development with this combo. I don't think I pulled that shot, and certainly not that far

Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Happens often. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the back of your target...sometimes not.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 08-26-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalsasquatch View Post
I have question for the folks that do a lot of load development. I was at the range yesterday testing some new loads out, and wonder if anyone has ever had a bullet through the same hole and not be able to tell the difference between shots. My first group of the day with an untested combination of bullet and powder in this gun resulted in the first two shots .75" away from each other, 2" over the bull, and the third shot......couldn't find it. I have trouble believing that it was off paper (20" square target, 100 yards ), but have more trouble believing it went through the same hole. Thoughts anyone? I loaded only the three for fouling shots as an afterthought, expecting to find a load with different components, and now I HAVE to do development with this combo. I don't think I pulled that shot, and certainly not that far

Thanks
It could happen. Usually if you lay the paper out flat and smooth the rough paper back into the holes you will be able to make out separate bullet strikes. Look for grey colored partial circles around the outside of the main hole.

I hope that makes some sort of sense to you.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Well, I guess the only thing to do is load up some more and head to the range! I was going to work on that load after hunting season, but maybe it won't take long haha
Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM

We had this happen last year when we were doing some sighting in. My one buddies rifle (Remington 700 CDL in 30-06) must love 180gr Barnes Vor-Tex ammo because he was putting them through the same hole more then once.

100 yards target was on a big box, had to look at the opposite side of the box to figure out what had happened.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Well, here's the mystery load at 200 yards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Here's a 3 shot group at 100 yards, I think I may play with this load some more after hunting season
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Happens often. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the back of your target...sometimes not.
Totally agree with this reply .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 PM

one of the many reasons reloading is addictive, is finding a load like this. i have come across a 3 shot group that looked like a snowman of 2 shots touching. i would believe you just put two through the same hole as well. if only there were enough time and money to do all the shooting and reloading i would want
cheers
Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Here is a four shot group at 200 yards from my target rig. 140 grain hornady a-max. I've never done it again
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d34b019.jpg