Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Default The Riflemen T.V. Show

Did anyone else see the recent show on the Sportsman Channel, aired April 6, titled Bear Down. They say the video was shot in Northern Alberta. The young guy, Jordan Walsh that is the host of the program called "The Riflemen", shot a Black Bear that was standing on what appears to be a well maintained road. After the shot, you can see a stop sign and major intersection behind him as he is walking up to the downed bear. I have noticed a lot of safety and in some cases Legal violations on these shows. I wonder if anyone from Fish and Wildlife watches these for game violations.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:42 AM
Banned

I also saw a safety concern on outdoor quest. Antelope shot with a truck driving on a road past the antelope. There was a hill between, but not very high.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
I also saw a safety concern on outdoor quest. Antelope shot with a truck driving on a road past the antelope. There was a hill between, but not very high.

I noticed that one too...real head shaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
I noticed that one too...real head shaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a lot of head shakers on Outdoor Quest. Surprised they are still around.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:34 AM

There is no doubt that the number of well done hunting shows is REALLY small. So many have lousy camera work, huge wind noise, guys whispering so low you can't hear a thing they are saying and too lazy to add subtitles, ridiculous levels of fake jubilation, and that is before we get to all of the dangerous, unethical and illegal stuff they do. These shows should put hunters in a good light and help spread the story of what hunting really is, instead most make us look like a bunch of yahoos.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is no doubt that the number of well done hunting shows is REALLY small. So many have lousy camera work, huge wind noise, guys whispering so low you can't hear a thing they are saying and too lazy to add subtitles, ridiculous levels of fake jubilation, and that is before we get to all of the dangerous, unethical and illegal stuff they do. These shows should put hunters in a good light and help spread the story of what hunting really is, instead most make us look like a bunch of yahoos.
The nuts and bolts to your frustration to the whole outdoor field productions has ZERO money to be made in this industry... What do you really expect from negative budgets ? Other than Shockey and a very select few others, there are no film crews, editing staff, field producers, ext...

Pick up a camera, grab a couple buddies and giver a try

Last edited by Sledhead71; 04-10-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You sound like you are tired of being told that you can't be a successful hunter without buying certain products.

I still laugh when I see some goof claiming that he uses Heavy Metal loads to ground swat grouse, because they are so much more effective for that purpose.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah I found that one a rare miss on their part. That show has always been really good with displayed ethics. I wont write them off but that was definitely a time to hold off shooting.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Yeah I found that one a rare miss on their part. That show has always been really good with displayed ethics. I wont write them off but that was definitely a time to hold off shooting.
It wasn’t only unsafe, but illegal.

From the regs:
“discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless”
Old 04-07-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
It wasn’t only unsafe, but illegal.

From the regs:
“discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless”
1: You posted a excerpt from our Alberta regulations but i believe the pronghorn hunt in question took place on a US ranch.

2: Did the projectile pass along or across that road? or did it lodge deep into that hill? man upstairs is the only one who knows. Unless they recovered it from the goat.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
1: You posted a excerpt from our Alberta regulations but i believe the pronghorn hunt in question took place on a US ranch.

2: Did the projectile pass along or across that road? or did it lodge deep into that hill? man upstairs is the only one who knows. Unless they recovered it from the goat.
I think he's talking about the bear hunt in Alberta

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

You’re correct, my bad. Maybe it’s legal there???
Old 04-12-2020, 08:56 AM

x2 ... I used to know TJ and his 1st wife Kim in the past ( my 2 dogs are in his pilot for the show) and he is very ethical ... we all have a miss now and then ... but that rifleman show is a CARTOON!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Lol just watched that and was like wtf do they not see the truck? Maybe it was a bad camera angle or something but didn't look good.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Lol just watched that and was like wtf do they not see the truck? Maybe it was a bad camera angle or something but didn't look good.
Bad enough they actually take the shot, but to be so tone deaf as to actually use the footage in a hunting show is beyond stupid. The other thing that drives me nuts is watching the African hunting shows and watching 5 guys walking in a line, all of them pointing loaded rifles at each other as they walk. Anyone ever points a gun at me like that I would loose my nut.

Tells you just how many short cuts, illegal acts and plain stupid stuff is done to make these hunting shows look cool. I think I agree with however said they are starting to ruin the sport if this is what people are learning to hunt like.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:55 AM

Really I was just watching an africa buffalo show last night where the fat american was walking in the back with rifle pointed straight ahead at guide and tracker.
Anyone remember tim herald shooting his guide in the shoulder?.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM
Banned

Hunting sounds very dangerous. Hmmm.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:32 AM

i get amused when they start talking about the planned whitetail hunt in Indiana . Buddy is in a box blind dressed like it's -40 and whispering very intensley about a few scrapes and trail cam pics he got on all his pre-scout's months earlier. Going to be a tough hunt for "Phantom" a huge buck he has hunted for 4 years. Then it shows the corn field.......there are like 50 or more deer and 20 of them bucks , of course being a high fence deer farm eventually the drama gets intense as a big buck or three walk out to feed on the oats they have spread all over before filming. Then with a perfect rest Normy gut shoots the critter. ha...garbage
Old 03-31-2021, 10:17 AM

Although Jordan Walsh is far from my favourite outdoor TV host, I never really paid attention to any safety infractions until I saw him run through the bush with a rifle in his hands after spotting an elk. Whether the rifle was loaded or not I don't know, but immediately I thought it did not promote firearm safety especially to the younger viewers. Then randomly this week on the sportsman channel I saw a show with Brett Kissel when Jordan and a couple others were spending a couple of days at Kissel's grandparent's farm. They had a .22 shooting competition which was good, but while still holding the rifle in Brett's hand, they toasted and were taking shots of liquor. To me, being on television with kids watching as well as the anti-gun people, there is no need to stand with a rifle in one hand and a shot of booze in the other. Hosts need to be better aware of the image that they can project.

My two cents...
Michael
Old 04-07-2020, 10:51 AM

The overwhelming need to get a killshot on film ruins so many of these guys.

Its sad what the promise of a sponsor laden sweatshirt can make a man forget.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:31 AM

I loved Wild TV when it first came out thought it was the greatest thing now I can't stand any of these hunting shows, I think it's wrecking this sport and definitely changing people's ethics especially with long range shooting out-of-the-box thousand-yard guns blah blah blah.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Default The rifleman tv show

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I loved Wild TV when it first came out thought it was the greatest thing now I can't stand any of these hunting shows, I think it's wrecking this sport and definitely changing people's ethics especially with long range shooting out-of-the-box thousand-yard guns blah blah blah.

Agreed!
Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM

Other than Meat Eater the best hunting shows now are all on YouTube.

I really enjoy and highly recommend the following if you looking for something better than on TV.

Born & Raised Outdoors
ELK101
Top Priority Hunting
Pure Elevation Productions
HUSHIN
Brad Fry
Old 04-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Jason matzinger has some of the best YouTube videos out there.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:19 PM

I thought “The Rifleman” was a great show. Chuck Connors was one heck of an actor.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
I thought “The Rifleman” was a great show. Chuck Connors was one heck of an actor.
Still watch it when it pops up Saturday mornings was my favourite Western growing up

Old 04-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Banned

I could care less about rinella
I think he’s just dumbs things down so that people know why he’s doing what he does. To me they aren’t very entertaining
I do like shockeys shows, even though “word on the street” is he’s pretty arrogant
I like the adventure side of some of these hunts and shows
Watching any deer hunting show is boring
Can only see so many tree stand or pop up blind hunts before I lose interest
I like “the experience” on YouTube
Favourite hunting episode ever is the eastmans journal hunt for Marco Polo in Tajikistan. Must have watched that episode 100 times. That hunt I must do before I die
Old 04-09-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Exactly,

So many new hunters think its just like on TV. Most of the shows are guided and many are on private land with access to the guides only.
Not hard to shoot a big Whitetail in Texas for$$$$. Or a 300+ Bull Elk on a private ranch in the USA.
As for the long range idiots,I wonder how many animals are wounded,lost or in the best case missed.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Exactly,

So many new hunters think its just like on TV. Most of the shows are guided and many are on private land with access to the guides only.
Not hard to shoot a big Whitetail in Texas for$$$$. Or a 300+ Bull Elk on a private ranch in the USA.
As for the long range idiots,I wonder how many animals are wounded,lost or in the best case missed.
Just a guess, but of all the actual hits on a Game animal @ 800 yds , I would think that maybe 1 out of 4 would actually be recovered.. and that may be a generous guess. At 800 yds + I would double that to 1 in 8.
LR hunting is best left to the unethical fools and dreamers . For LR target shooters, it's an acceptable challenge.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Just a guess, but of all the actual hits on a Game animal @ 800 yds , I would think that maybe 1 out of 4 would actually be recovered.. and that may be a generous guess. At 800 yds + I would double that to 1 in 8.
LR hunting is best left to the unethical fools and dreamers . For LR target shooters, it's an acceptable challenge.
And this is why I have always hated those stupid shows. I'm no saint, but I respect the animals I harvest.