Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Any reason to own a .308 and a 30-06??

Like the title states,is there any real reason to own both calibers? I walready have a .308, but found a good deal on an 06
Old 07-31-2017, 03:03 PM
Banned

The 30-06 will do better with heavier bullets.
With a 24" barrel, the 308 is running pretty close to 30-06 with 150's - 2950 fps is likely near max for a 308 vs 3000fps for the 30-06.
With 180's the difference is 250 fps give or take, but I don't load heavy bullets in either the 308 or 30-06.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM

I dont see why not. I only a bunch of 308s, and 06s. Its nice being able to share bullets between cartridges.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:34 PM

As was said, if you want to shoot heavier bullets the 30-06 will do it better. But realistically if they are in similar rifles; no there is no real advantage in typical bullet weights or situations.

I have a few of both though. I have a 308 target rifle, a 308 compact, and a 30-06 Ruger #1, and 30-06 sako as my primary hunting rifle. Each has a time and place.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

if they're two different types of rifles then yes.

the same type of rifle isn't worth it unless you want it for a back-up
Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
Like the title states,is there any real reason to own both calibers? I walready have a .308, but found a good deal on an 06
Not much diff between the two but if I didn't own a rifle and could have only one of the two it'd be the 06.

If I already owned one of the two I think I'd use the money to go either 1-2 steps down or up. 25-06/260 or 7mm/300WSM. All depending on what I hunted most.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:24 PM

I own a bunch of rifles chambered in a bunch of cartridges that have very similar performance, 30-06 and 308 included.

It's more about the uniqueness of certain rifles that drives my interests, not the fact that a bunch of them perform similarly.

Then again I suffer from bad G.A.S

There are no absolutes
Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 PM

in short....there is no reason to own both

i would consider the variants of this cartridge to be like owning two 8" crescent wrench instead of working towards a complete wrench set.
to me there isnt enough of a difference between (most of) them to warrant the effort in design and see it more of marketing scheme than an actual need.
on the plus side, its universally recognized and is very utility for most shooting/hunting applications which adds to its verstility and cost per shot effectiveness.
there is a low to mild safety risk in that two cartridges are very similar in sizes, design and dosages.
if i only had two rifles, id rather have bigger spread between two caliber, cartridge arsenal. basically a coyote type cartridge and a heavy animal but both would be legal caliber ie 243 and a 3006.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-31-2017, 07:13 PM

facepalm. no.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 PM

They are very similar, but...if you found a good deal there is NO reason not to own both!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Do you like guns and shooting. If yes then that's reason enough.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I own a bunch of rifles chambered in a bunch of cartridges that have very similar performance, 30-06 and 308 included.

It's more about the uniqueness of certain rifles that drives my interests, not the fact that a bunch of them perform similarly.

Then again I suffer from bad G.A.S

I wanted to comment on your reply to this post.

I did a search of G A S the link will now follow:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bad+G...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Then i realized it wasn't what you wished to communicate. So i searched another word in your post. Thank you for giving direction.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=uniqu...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 PM

Get yourself 300 wsm , it would be a real step up from already good 308.
Can shoot heavy bullets 200gr or so with higher speed then 308 shoots 150-165 gr..
Not saying at the same time that 30-06 is a bad calibre .
I have 3 of those...
Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 PM

The way i see it, if you can afford it and want it buy it. I was at canadian tire windemere tonight and they had a LH tikka t3 in a 270win for a little over $700. Got my thinking hmm what could i build off that, maybe a 6.5sherman, another 6.5-284 or a 6-284. You cant have too many guns.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 PM

I have neither anymore. But I do have a 7mm08 and a 7mm Rem Mag, both in model 700s..... And a .300 WM just in case someone calls me girly. I guess that is sort of the same silly overlap, no? I like guns!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 AM

I have owned both in 308 or 30 06 ,in thight bush I liked the 308 with round nose ammo for close up brush shots and it was light to carry,i have had a few 3006 and they were out fastert then they came,the only 308 I enjoyed was and hk model 770 and the 940 hk in 3006,i really enjoyed the MIA supper match in 308 and they faded of my list.i would not ever buy another,no bad cartridges in any way,just better things to shoot with and try out,i don't think I can commit to any cartridge just way to much to out there to try out.The fever is still strong.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Are we ?

Talking you in or out of this? I've owned both and seem to trade them off,that being said I have a Springfield 1903 coming today so full circle.Harold
Old 08-01-2017, 08:49 AM

I'd have the get a real good deal on the 06 to have cartridges that close. If I only had two rifles (which I do) I stared with 308 and then went 300 WM.

That said, I do like rifles and for a deal I'd happily add a 30-06.

At the end of the day, it's your choice. And guns are fun. So either way, Winning!_
Old 08-01-2017, 08:57 AM

If half an inch of bullet drop or a few foot-pounds of energy make a difference to you, then yes, there's a difference. If you want to kill any big game at normal ranges, then no, there's no difference. No reason to get both unless you want to have two rifles that will do essentially the same thing.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
if they're two different types of rifles then yes.

the same type of rifle isn't worth it unless you want it for a back-up
This, I've owned the two at the same time, as well as a .270 which is pretty much more of the same... but the rifles were all very different and excelled at different things. In reality they all could have been the same calibre and it would have worked just about as well, and eventually I did cull them back to just one rifle, deciding that a high degree of familiarity with ones rifle trumped any advantages that could be gained by rotating through several different types.

That's just me though.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
but the rifles were all very different and excelled at different things. .
What did one excel at that the other didn't? Not arguing with you or trying to put you on the spot. I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
What did one excel at that the other didn't? Not arguing with you or trying to put you on the spot. I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.
Not sure about Bush's rifles, but heres an example.

A heavy barrelled bolt action with a tactical dialed scope, 0.5 moa, 12 pounds total, can dial in from 100 to 1200 meters.

vs

a lightweight rifle with a capped BDC scope for no messing around, no distractions point and shoot. 1 moa, 8.5 pounds total, holdovers from 100 to 500 meters.

Same calibre, Both have their advantages for their style of hunting / Shooting.

Last edited by Nyksta; 08-01-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
A heavy barrelled bolt action with a tactical dialed scope, 0.5 moa, 12 pounds total, can dial in from 100 to 1200 meters.

vs

a lightweight rifle with a capped BDC scope for no messing around, no distractions point and shoot. 1 moa, 8.5 pounds total, holdovers from 100 to 500 meters.

Same calibre, Both have their advantages for their style of hunting / Shooting.

Ah, OK. I thought the difference you were referring to was based on the caliber, but it's the set up and weight of the rifle. Makes total sense.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM

You have this all wrong - it should be is there any reason to not own both?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
One of my .270's weighed about 10 lbs and had a 24" barrel, I had it sighted in for 130 grain bullets and wearing a fairly powerful scope, I felt that it was a good rifle for hunting farmland. My 30-06 was shorter and lighter with a stainless barrel and had a 2-7x scope, I kept it sighted in for 180's and I used it for back country hunts for moose and elk. My .308 was a pump action, it had a 20" barrel and a peep sight. It was light and handy, the stock fit like a glove, it was a great bush rifle. Like I said, they could have all been chambered the same and the advantages would have still been there.

My other .270 was my only rifle for many years before I started acquiring more guns, and eventually I culled most of my big game rifles and now I mostly use that old Ruger. Its a pretty well rounded rifle and from so many years of using it I'm just more comfortable and familiar with that rifle, and in all of the situations that I believed my other rifles to be well suited to I eventually came to feel that the familiarity I've developed with that particular .270 makes it a better choice for me. Rifles aren't like golf clubs, and you don't really need a half dozen of them just to get the job done, despite what the cool kids might tell us.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-01-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 PM

I've got a 308 in Browning BLR pistol grip. Love it, especially when hunting in the timber.
I also have a 30.06 in Tikka T3 stainless. New for this Fall, as my mountain rifle.

Both will see time each season.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:08 PM

I'll also add. If budget allowed. I'd have one of each know cartridge. Haha
Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 PM

For me, it would depend on the make and/or type of the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Got my thinking hmm what could i build off that.....
^^^^ Agree ^^^^^
If the gun was a 30 year old Rem 700 that has seen little use, I would grab it up. (This would be like dangling a lamb chop in front of a coyote. ) It could be rebarrelled in some chambering that I've always wanted. 338-06 comes to mind.

If it was a newer, entry level gun, I would pass.

As already stated, if one gun was a target/tactical type of rifle and the other was a bolt action sporter, I would consider it. Same if one was a bolt action sporter and the other was a lever gun.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM

I bought a 30/06 for my all in rifle since it will cover all my bases in plinking and critter harvests if it happens.

Last weekend a good friend of mine lent me a heavy barrel target 308,,, all I can say is WOW.

My Odd-6 is no slouch in the target stuff, neither was this 0h-8,,, both were fun too shoot and I hate to say this, but that loner 0h-8 hit more iron silhouettes per round then my own build... "Dew getting use too light target trigger.

Any Who, like others mentioned, very little in difference in bullets out the barrel since I re-load soft.

178gr bullets at about 2500 to 2550 ft-per second since both rifles like the smooth diet.

"""If""" I change my mind on the """more" than 1 rifle thing,,, it would be a 308 too complement my 30/06.
The reason for this is they are both fun too shoot.

Don
Old 08-02-2017, 06:44 AM

The word "forgiving" comes too mind when loading for the 308 cartrage,,, this can be said for all cartrages, but there is something about those little 308 cases that seems to catch the re-loaders hart.

Purhaps it's the idea that they use less powder compared too the larger cases, yes that the little 308 is not a power house at super long distances, but it holds it own in the target match world and has filled many freezers with substance.

Again,,, this is by no means saying its better or worse than the many other cartrages out there in todays market.

My take on fun cartrages are 243, 7x57, 7mm-08, 260, 308, 25-06, 270, 30/06, even the long 7mm Remington Mag. The 300 Win & Weatherbys fit into my category even today,,, but now that the seasons with in my life have changed, I have decided too lighten things up a bit.

If the opertunity comes in one's life time too shot many rifles, then take it on,,, many of us have been blessed too this with no regrets as it plays a role in the theatre of discovery.

A few of my long time pals found their first and last rifles in 1 purchase since they like what they bought first time round.
I suppose I was "kinda" like this in my mind,,, but knowing what was out there drove me too trying different firearms,,, Ha... Funny how my adventures took me full circle as I'm pretty much back where I started.

This leaves the door-way open to return to my first shot from the mighty 303 British Lee Enfield that we still have in our family collection today.

I'm guessing there is something about chucking lead rocks down range, our task if we choose is finding a rifle caliber that could fill these needs.

To some,,, this is unknown. Others have pretty much matched units that fill their needs.

Always subject to change in a active / sport that is alot of fun.

This years adventures have been awesome,,, it allows me to get out there and do my own thing, finding many others that have this like minded interests,,, and relax doing all of it.

Any-Who, what ever 308 or 30/06 idea ones comes up with, it will most likely be a fun and thrilling adventure.
If we plan for it that way.

Always glad to share in the small parts of ones dream.

Don