Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Default Stainless pin cleaning brass with Lemi-Shine

I use a Frankford Arsenal tumbler for cleaning brass in large quantities. The recipe calls for water, a squirt of Dawn dish detergent and a dash of Lemi-Shine. Now, I typically buy my Lemi-shine from our local Canadian Tire in High River. However, the last time that I was there to purchase some, none of it was on the shelf. The computer help desk stated that the "product was no longer available". I freaked a little bit, thinking perhaps that it was discontinued and wondered about an alternative. Turns out, I didn't have to freak out, Walmart and Amazon.ca still have it...pheeewww, that was a close call. Nothing cleans brass like stainless steel pins, Dawn and Lemi-shine.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 PM

I've not done any reloading for far too long but I have found some other good uses for Lemi-shine. I've used it along with vinegar for dissolving rust off of steel (mostly new steel pipe fittings that got rusty from being left outside but some tools as well). It's also useful to keep in my service van as I can use it in solution when de-scaling instantaneous water heaters and for when people have scale build up in the jet hole in their toilet bowls. It does a mean job on cleaning our kettle of hard water scale too.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:08 AM

I just bought my stainless tumbler and did 600 .223 brass and 150 7mm Rem Mag brass in one shot. She was packed full.

You can buy Lemi-shine at Sobeys as well. I imagine Safeway would carry it too.

I didn't rinse my brass good enough so I need to just retumble it without the pins.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I just bought my stainless tumbler and did 600 .223 brass and 150 7mm Rem Mag brass in one shot. She was packed full.

You can buy Lemi-shine at Sobeys as well. I imagine Safeway would carry it too.

I didn't rinse my brass good enough so I need to just retumble it without the pins.
Yuppers. I always drain the dirty water and then rinse with clean hot water but simply shaking the tumbler. I then lay the works on a cookie sheet lined with a paper towel. Drop the pins on one side and the brass on the other. Wipe the whole works with another paper towel. And put the cookie sheet out in the sun. About an hour later, the whole works is dry and there is no water spotting on the brass. I'll typically do the reloading the next day to ensure that the brass internals are nice and dry.

600 - .223 brass and 150 7mm Mag brass. Your machine must be a cement mixer...LOL. I have a Frankford Arsenal which is large by any standard, but there is no way I could fit all of that in it. What brand are you using Diabetic?