Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Mechanicals

Are you guys getting pass throughs on animals at 40 yards or more?
I would think a lot of guys don't shoot crtitters past 40 yards and I bet most don't get an arrow to go through moose and elk at those ranges but curious to know what is the limit to a mechanical?
I'm debating using them on this sheep hunt. From what I have read and watched for reviews is that they are not getting great penetration compared to a fixed broadhead at 20 yards but I don't see much for tests done over 40 yards with them.
I understand that if you hit a critter perfect in the vitals it won't matter much but if by chance you make a bad shot or do have a bit of a longer shot to take are mechanicals still going to do the job and do the most damage possible to be able to retrieve an animal?
Old 07-23-2017, 02:06 PM

I know many guys like mechanicals, and I'm sure I will get flamed for this - but I personally will always pick a fixed blade over one that needs to open. I did have a few a few years back (rage and nap). I tried the nap on a coyote and it worked and was spectacular but I started to ask myself why risk having one fail?

I am nowhere near as experienced as some archers here but based on my personal experiences with moose, elk, deer and bear - I try to pic the most dependable broadheads I can that have the most penetration possible. I am very happy with vap arrows and will be switching to the exodus broadhead this year.

Many guys have done penetration and toughness tests on archery talk with the most popular arrowheads. You should have a look sometime when you're bored.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

I watched my buddy arrow a deer with a Grim Reaper just shy of 55 yards. 66 lb bow, and a pass thru.

If you're really worried, get a hybrid. Grave Digger (I've only seen them at Whilesale but they are getting rave reviews everywhere and they fly true), and Grim Reaper both have fixed/mechanical hybrid broad heads out now.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Yup, 40 yards hard quartering went diagonally through a bull elk. 60 yards through mule deer (second shot).

Placement has as much to do with penetration as does the choice of broadhead. Most important factor in penetration IMHO is bowtune...if your arrow isn't flying true your penetration will suffer immensely.

I refuse to use a two blade broadhead, three or more blades for me.

LC
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM

I have shot and killed many animals with mechanicals. The only one that has consistently had pass throughs were Spitfires...The least penetrating was always Rage - horrible performance on Alberta game
Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 PM

I've shot mechanicals for all but my 1st year of bow hunting (20+ years) and while I've only been connecting with animals since 2005, all shots have been complete pass throughs with the exception of 2 that struck really large bones on the opposite sides of the animals. The shots ranged from 20 yards to 40+ yards, and the 2 that didn't pass through were under 30 yards. The 2 shots mentioned were an Elks upper shoulder blade & the shoulder socket ball of a 3x4 Mule Buck. In both non pass through shots, one of the three blades were snapped and needed to be replaced (two different brands of BH)

I made the switch to mechanicals long ago and have no intention to return to fixed as mechanicals do a fine job - it's ME that needs to do the rest! You just need to be sure you're shooting the correct BH for your setup. I shoot 29.5" @ 70 pounds and have lots of power going along with a 525 grain arrow.

Make your decision correctly, aim appropriately and if equipped with the right shaft behind it, the right BH will do the job.

J.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Don't get swhackers.

I've tried a few different kinds and liked all except rocky mt broadheads and swhackers.
Rockys blades failed twice on me and swhackers get crappy penetration from my experience.
I don't even know if they make the rocky's anymore.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 PM

My dad and I used to shoot grim reapers and now shoot rage Hypodermics and have had pass threws on 4 deer and a cow elk all 40yrds or less. I shot a elk at 65yrds with a grim reapers and it went threw 4 ribs(2 each side) and poked threw the hide on the far side so was not a pass threw but was a second hole, and i shot a moose at 55yrds hard quartering with a rage and it hit the far shoulder otherwise it would have been a pass threw and that made a 5" hole. Both those were with a bowtech 350 destroyer like what you are using. It was set at 74lbs with just a standard diameter arrow, now i shoot vaps and would bet I could pass threw anything under 60yrds unless hitting a bit bone.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 PM

I shot grim reapers for years and switched to montecs last year specifically for my 410 sheep hunt. I was taking no chances with snow and ice and moving parts. I also figured a fixed blade would bust through bone better if I nicked a shoulder blade or something. Never ended up getting any shots...
Made the switch to 125 grain G5 Strikers this year, 441 grain Vaps at 299 fps, and they shoot great. I am using a 4 fletch setup though (blazers). If Jim is super tuning your bow, there should be no reason fixed blades wont fly true.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 AM

Same response as drop away rests, and for the same reasons. Moving parts have a higher failure rate.

G5 strikers and slick tricks fly just fine to 60 out of my bow. Cant see any reason to risk it.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:14 PM

Got a pass through on an antelope I shot a few years back at 70 yards.
Original rage 3 blade
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 08-05-2017, 02:43 PM

What you might lose in penetration you will gain in tunability and ease of use in my opinion. I find fixed heads can get a little sketchy out past 40 yards especially when wind is a factor, where as mechanicals will almost always fly true. If you're shooting over 70 ish foot pounds of energy I wouldn't think twice about shooting mechanicals. Good luck on your hunt!

Edit: sorry had a complete pass through on a bear at 42 yards with a mechanical a couple years ago.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:29 PM

Just bought some hybrid reapers that were on sale at CAC. They look awesome. Really interested to see flight and penetration results.

2 fixed blades and 2 expandable. I own more reapers then i could shoot in a few seasons worth.