Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Default 8 Tags to fill

I read in the hunting discussion a funny moose hunting story where one person claims to have 8 tags which he will fill. That would be 2000 lbs. or more of meat. How much will be thrown out next season? Some people can not get drawn for 1 tag. Who is managing the wildlife there? We complain about natives abusing wildlife, and here we have someone bragging he will fill 8 tags. W.T.H.?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 PM

Default yep

i read that thread. prolly wants the horns and or skulls and some meat... maybe he will pass around some meat to neigbors and friends. im sure we are about to find out....hope he dont wound an animal.... he may be gone for weeks tryin to find it!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
i read that thread. prolly wants the horns and or skulls and some meat... maybe he will pass around some meat to neigbors and friends. im sure we are about to find out....hope he dont wound an animal.... he may be gone for weeks tryin to find it!!!
depends on how much meat you like to buy from a store. ive filled 3 tags so far 1 bear two white tails, planning on getting my third next week, have an elk tag to fill and a mule deer tag, oh an the ol lady has her three whitetail tags too and maybe she might get a mule tag and elk too, oh i forgot archery moose tags too. We had no meat left this fall from last year and if i can legally eat all the wild game my freezers hold i will. forgot got some grouse and walleye in there too lol. halibut, cod, snapper and salmon. mmmm wild treats. I pay for all my tags and hope to fill them ALL.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
depends on how much meat you like to buy from a store. ive filled 3 tags so far 1 bear two white tails, planning on getting my third next week, have an elk tag to fill and a mule deer tag, oh an the ol lady has her three whitetail tags too and maybe she might get a mule tag and elk too, oh i forgot archery moose tags too. We had no meat left this fall from last year and if i can legally eat all the wild game my freezers hold i will. forgot got some grouse and walleye in there too lol. halibut, cod, snapper and salmon. mmmm wild treats. I pay for all my tags and hope to fill them ALL.
i agree. if you eat it, you eat it. just givin him a hard time, because thats what he did in an earlier thread funny moose huntin story..
Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
one person claims to have 8 tags which he will fill. That would be 2000 lbs. or more of meat.
I don't know what kind of animals you are figuring, but where I am sitting a Mule Buck, WT buck, 2 Mule does and 2 Supp. Whitetail does certainly wouldn't come anywhere close - maybe 400 lbs. Those other two animals must really be monsters.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Last year my wife and I filled 10 big-game tags between the two of us.

We ate well and I shot a bull moose which kept the freezer filled. I also kept a non-trophy sheep and a non-trophy antelope. I gave some meat to family members and butchered a couple does for friends at work who are non-hunters. I have taken out non-hunters to introduce them and show them how to hunt, harvest, and care for their game.

I am not 'abusing' wildlife by harvesting these animals and wont apologize for filling the tags. I full support the harvest of game animals when done ethically and legally. I throw ZERO meat out and wouldnt have close to 2000lbs of meat. If someone says they cannot get drawn for 'one animal' then they simply are not applying. There are SEVERAL general and special licenses out there that are simple to draw. Several more undersubscribed every year.

So....whats the issue?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned

live weight might be close to 2000 lbs, but that sure isnt what goes in the freezer....unless someone is eating hides and hooves. who cares. if he's legal and the meat isnt wasted then whats the problem. with all the things we have against us, maybe hunters shouldnt be bashing hunters for legally hunting. have a safe and fun fall.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 AM

I see that there are a lot of gluttens here..
Old 10-08-2010, 12:35 AM

x2
Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
Also looks like a lot of ignorance floating around as well....
Old 10-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

The wife and I have each taken an elk here this year,almost 600 pounds of meat cut and wrapped,I had to buy another small freezer to hold it all.Between us we have 4 more tags for deer.I may take one deer for making jerky and sausages but the other 3 tags will be hanging from my Christmas tree.No sense in taking everything just because I can.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 AM

Last year My father and I got 1 bull elk, ( meat&bones- 500 pounds) and 1 bull moose (meat&bones- 800 pounds) all cut and wrapped, and then took some mulie does I drew. That may seem like a pile of meat but I have a large family, and theres empty spots showing in the freezer today. Idunno. then again we dont buy meat from stores other than maybe a hotdog or smokie lol.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Last year my wife and I filled 10 big-game tags between the two of us.

We ate well and I shot a bull moose which kept the freezer filled. I also kept a non-trophy sheep and a non-trophy antelope. I gave some meat to family members and butchered a couple does for friends at work who are non-hunters. I have taken out non-hunters to introduce them and show them how to hunt, harvest, and care for their game.

I am not 'abusing' wildlife by harvesting these animals and wont apologize for filling the tags. I full support the harvest of game animals when done ethically and legally. I throw ZERO meat out and wouldnt have close to 2000lbs of meat. If someone says they cannot get drawn for 'one animal' then they simply are not applying. There are SEVERAL general and special licenses out there that are simple to draw. Several more undersubscribed every year.

So....whats the issue?
I agree with you Rackmaster. Last year me and the wife shot 9 deer and one bear, all the meat was eaten by August 27th this year. Me and my Wife we have 14 tags one elk yummy ate over half already steak every two days.mmmm one bear great peperoni and smokies . deer will share with two elderly nabours and son, All will be eaten. I called Fish and Game to ask a question why so many tags. Was told there are way to many deer in that area I applied for, not enough hunters applying for draws there. so they double up our tags. I also do the same and take nabours kids hunting and they love the out doors , the stalk and at the end they bring home meat to the family. Two have taken up hunting now and three more are taking there hunting course this year.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
live weight might be close to 2000 lbs, but that sure isnt what goes in the freezer....unless someone is eating hides and hooves. who cares. if he's legal and the meat isnt wasted then whats the problem. with all the things we have against us, maybe hunters shouldnt be bashing hunters for legally hunting. have a safe and fun fall.
If that how much meat he gets in his freezer . Please tell me where he hunts I want some deer that are that big. Most I ever got off one deer in 30 years of hunting was once 326lbs, most other times its 110-65lbs.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 AM

I have had seasons where i took that many critters, and i was single, or newlywed. I often make phone calls before the season and line up frends who perpetually take a deer for their family, or two. If they want the meat, i go and find them a nice relaxed dry doe, usually, and kill it cleanly for them. Why is this thread even started, apparently there are a fe uneducated knuckleheads on this site.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Angry I must be a sinner too!

Well add me to the list of bad people. This year I have eight tags and I plan on filling six of them. (five deer and one elk). I have two bear tags that are just leftovers from the spring
Of the 5 deer tags I have I will keep two of the deer for my own consumption. The other three I will be giving away to families I know that don’t have a lot of money to buy meat. Trust me they will savor every last bit that I give to them. The elk well, that will be for me and my family.

I am not sure what the big deal is here? I have numerous tags and plan on harvesting ALL OF IT. Not one ounce of meat will be going to waste, and there will be definitely none thrown out next year.

As for the comment on some people not being able to even get one draw….? Well everyone is in the same boat and if you apply for the draws you too can have 8-10 tags. Of my eight tags one of them I was drawn for one, the rest were purchased over the counter. So the sob story of people not being able to get tags, doesn’t fly with me.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Default 8 Tags 14 Tags ???

When I butcher a animal I use ALL the meat, heart, liver, neck, leg bones,every thing is boned out,the ravens and magpies only get the gut pile.If you are useing the excuse of giving the meat to friends just to keep hunting that is wrong. They want wild meat they should go and get it. If some native killed 8 or 14 animals we would be complaining that they are killing all the game. There are to many game hogs,just because they legally can.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
When I butcher a animal I use ALL the meat, heart, liver, neck, leg bones,every thing is boned out,the ravens and magpies only get the gut pile.If you are useing the excuse of giving the meat to friends just to keep hunting that is wrong. They want wild meat they should go and get it. If some native killed 8 or 14 animals we would be complaining that they are killing all the game. There are to many game hogs,just because they legally can.
I guess the great thing about you having your opinion is the fact that its yours and I dont need to check in with you to make sure you approve of it first.

I am a legal, ethical hunter who promotes the sport and enjoys getting out there, as well as providing meat to non-hunting friends and families. I enjoy the hunt and enjoy spending time out there, and will continue to fill my tags and do so in a way that I have decided to do.

Other than that, thanks for your opinion. I'm happy with sticking with mine for now....
Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 AM

I think your just trying to start a chit storm for someone that pizzed you off in a different thread. As you can see there is alot of folks that have many tags to fill and will. You only need one deer that's fine don't get pizzy because someone has 8 ,10, 12 what ever. If he or some one else is eating the meat then it's all good. Maybe there are a few people the can't go get there own, like the elderly or what have you. Guess if you got an 80 year old dad that would like some deer you'd tell him to go get his own eh? You started this thread thinking you'd get support but I think your wrong.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
10 post and all of them are about as well thought out as this one..... Another member here to try and divide hunters up.
8 tags would feed an average familly for a year. A familly like mine would need at least one of those tags to be a moose tag or we have to supliment our meat from the grocery store. If you don't know what you are talking about why bother to make a post like that, other than to start another bickering thread?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I guess the PETA members get annual bonuses based on the number of chit-disturbing posts they make in hunting forums??

I've filled 3 tags so far, I've got a Muley doe and a general elk and I'll fill them both if I've got a legal animal in my scope (that I previously identified with my binos LOL )
Old 10-08-2010, 10:27 AM

There is a reason we need tags to hunt, it's called game management. Every time you intentionally hang a tag on a christmas tree, the population management attempt is thwarted.

Quote:
If you are useing the excuse of giving the meat to friends just to keep hunting that is wrong. They want wild meat they should go and get it.
I know many people who enjoy the taste of certain wild meat, but don't have the time, resources, or knowledge to get out and harvest their own. If i can give them some wild meat, that they will enjoy, then they will be much more likely to sit on our side of the fence when it comes to public opinion. One more person on our team can never hurt.

How about all those hunters who contributed to the food bank program, i suppose they are all greedy killers too?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
You might be surprised how much meat a family can go through in a year.

I farm or hunt all my own meat except for a few chickens and a couple turkeys every year, and as my family's getting bigger I'm going to have to start doing better in the field.

If you don't buy any meat you can haul through a deer in just over a month without having big meat portions.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Default Ethical hunting ?

I guess it is good you do not have legal right similar to aboriginal hunters, then we could have a real slaughter. 30-40 or more? animals each, we will end up having hunting restrictions similar to Europe.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I guess it is good you do not have legal right similar to aboriginal hunters, then we could have a real slaughter. 30-40 or more? animals each, we will end up having hunting restrictions similar to Europe.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
If some native killed 8 or 14 animals we would be complaining that they are killing all the game. There are to many game hogs,just because they legally can.
I totally agree with you, one thing you'll learn on this site is there's a lot of two faced ***** clowns that will argue a point as long as it serves thier needs.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Where's the " I give up icon'? If it's legal,ethical, the meat is being used, nobody should have any issue with the harvest of game.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I think it's time you crawl into the light my friend, or "foe". You have no idea what you're talking about, your senseless babble shows it!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 AM

Default come on

Few guys here need to treat their own opinions like their arseholes and put them behind them. This site is to support other hunters not bash them because of a few tags. just because you dont have a mitt full of tags doesnt mean you gotta bitch. Kudos to the people who have ten tags and fill them all. We as hunters are conservationists first. If the government allows the tags why not? if the critters get eaten then who cares. I know lots of non hunters who like wild game and will take the meat when offered. to bad some guys have the time to put others down or label them as game hogs because of the tags they fill. Maybe jealousy............
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I find it funny that some people who are posting about the legality and need of shooting 8 or 10 anaimals are the same people who **** one me for shooting 4odd grouse over the weekend...

When it suits your purpose, tight...

By the way, I have no issue with whatever tages you can get and fill...