Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Default 2011 kia soul

After i spun a few bearings in my explorer and blew second gear i find myself looking for a new car for the wife. I was out and about this afternoon and decided to stop in at kia and see what they had to offer found myself actully liking the 2011 souls took it for a test drive peppy little suv or whatever they are good milage lots of head room (im 6'7) nice little city car. good price under $22000 7 year bumper to bumper warranty includes roadside and towing if need be for no extra im sure its hidden in there but from what i saw i think im sold anyone else look into these
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Some friends of mine bought one in Seattle last year and they love it. They just moved to New York this summer and drove it across the country and had no issues at all. Seems like a pretty good car and the warrenty is the best out there (I think). His has never seen snow though so can't coment on that.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM

KIA had a horrendous quality reputation just a few years ago. Perhaps that has changed, but they were recently what their parent Hyundai was when they entered the market with the Pony and Stellar I wouldn't touch one without MEGA recent research (check Edmunston's "Lemon-Aid" book to start). I also think they are about the ugliest thing on the road, but styling is a personal taste issue so if you like it, that's cool.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 PM

[QUOTE= I also think they are about the ugliest thing on the road, but styling is a personal taste issue so if you like it, that's cool.[/QUOTE]

I think the Nissan Cube is uglier.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM

My MIL bought a KIA Sorento a couple years ago. 6 months later the engine blew.

You get what you pay for.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
My MIL bought a KIA Sorento a couple years ago. 6 months later the engine blew.

You get what you pay for.
So long as they honoured the 7 year warranty what's the problem? Any manufacturer can have an occasional mechanical problem.

We just bought a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and the engine crapped out at 736KM Dealer had it towed and replaced the engine and went above and beyond what they had to getting us a rental on a long weekend and paying all associated costs and what not. Would I buy Dodge again? Yes, they took a potentially bad situation and turned it into not much more than a minor inconvenience. The customer service we got was top notch.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee83 View Post
After i spun a few bearings in my explorer and blew second gear i find myself looking for a new car for the wife. I was out and about this afternoon and decided to stop in at kia and see what they had to offer found myself actully liking the 2011 souls took it for a test drive peppy little suv or whatever they are good milage lots of head room (im 6'7) nice little city car. good price under $22000 7 year bumper to bumper warranty includes roadside and towing if need be for no extra im sure its hidden in there but from what i saw i think im sold anyone else look into these
Guess they are ok. However, if Kim Jong il decides to invade the south,you will see spare part availability go down the tubes.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 AM

KIA's.....just be sure to follow your service schedule to the letter! ie. Timing belts...100000KM OR 5 years whichever comes first, I'm currently helping a buddy repair his 05 KIA Rio with 82000 on the odo, a month over 5 years and timing belt went...that means complete total engine rebuild...no warranty because it should have been done at or before 5 years.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee83 View Post
im 6'7
At that tall, I would suggest quite strongly that you look at a different brand.

This is old information, and I don't know if this has changed:
Ten years ago (and before) auto manufacturers were only required to safely engineer their vehicles for the 90th percentile and under.

This means that while you may have enough head and leg room, there could be safety issues with the seats and the seat belts. I had a large friend who fit in a Sprint just fine, but in a collision the seat broke . . . as did his back. The seats were simply not engineered to manage his weight in the event of a crash.

Another friend of mine (also a very big guy), after doing his research, felt that German vehicles really were engineered to higher safety standards. He purchased a used Mercedes SUV. His research indicated that most American trucks are engineered for larger people, but he didn't want a truck.

That being said, I know a few people who drive newer Kia's who are very happy with them. But! Do your research and ensure that it is safe for you. I know that $22k looks like a deal . . . but I'm sure you're priceless to your loved ones.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 AM
troller

The Soul is very safe. We bought one for the daughter and I was happy with it.

The 2011 Kia Soul hasn’t undergone testing with the federal government, but because it has undergone few major changes since last year, the 2010 model’s stellar ratings should still apply.

The 2010 Kia Soul did well in government crash tests. It earned five out of a possible five stars for frontal crashes and five out of a possible five for the driver's protection in side crashes. The Soul also earned four out of five stars for passengers' protection in side crashes, and received a four-star rollover rating.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the Soul its highest rating of "Good" in all crash test categories, and recognized the Soul as a “Top Safety Pick” for 2010.

With plenty of safety features for its price range, the Soul is generally regarded as a safe vehicle. Standard safety features include dual front seat mounted side airbags, lower anchors and tethers for children, full length side curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes with brake assist, electronic brake-force distribution and electronic stability control.

So far we have been very happy with it and I don't take the safety of my first grand baby very lightly . Good advice above about following the service schedule though!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
The Soul is very safe. We bought one for the daughter and I was happy with it.

The 2011 Kia Soul hasn’t undergone testing with the federal government, but because it has undergone few major changes since last year, the 2010 model’s stellar ratings should still apply.

The 2010 Kia Soul did well in government crash tests. It earned five out of a possible five stars for frontal crashes and five out of a possible five for the driver's protection in side crashes. The Soul also earned four out of five stars for passengers' protection in side crashes, and received a four-star rollover rating.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the Soul its highest rating of "Good" in all crash test categories, and recognized the Soul as a “Top Safety Pick” for 2010.

With plenty of safety features for its price range, the Soul is generally regarded as a safe vehicle. Standard safety features include dual front seat mounted side airbags, lower anchors and tethers for children, full length side curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes with brake assist, electronic brake-force distribution and electronic stability control.

So far we have been very happy with it and I don't take the safety of my first grand baby very lightly . Good advice above about following the service schedule though!
Unless you daughter is 6'7, i think you might have missed DarkAislings point.