Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 PM

Default Lawn Mower Mechanic In Calgary or Okotoks or Medicine Hat

Well it is the end of the lawn season and I am need of some repairs on my lawn mower. Was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good lawn mower mechanic. I live in the south Calgary so south calgary or Okotoks would be great, or even in Medicine Hat as my parents live here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 PM

I can tell you that I've been seriously hosed by Jed's Power Equipment and jerked around by EJ Mower in Calgary.

Check the BBB for EJ Mower. Lots of complaints.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Default mechanic

I take my stuff to fish creek rentals on bannister in se calgary. Bjorn is the mechanic there and is very proud of his work. Prices are reasonable and I have never been jerked around.

Geo
Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
I can tell you that I've been seriously hosed by Jed's Power Equipment and jerked around by EJ Mower in Calgary.

Check the BBB for EJ Mower. Lots of complaints.
My experience is that if the thing requires more than minor repair you can do yourself, better to just buy a new one.

Grizz
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 AM

I took my 10 year old (at least) mower to Gold Star Small Engines in Okotoks this spring for it's first tune-up and general service. Price seemed reasonable, was done quickly, and the thing has generally started with one pull all year.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 AM

millarville power products. (403)931-2229.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
My experience is that if the thing requires more than minor repair you can do yourself, better to just buy a new one.

Grizz
That's exactly what happened at Jed's. Took the mower in for a $100 spring tune up. Go to pick it up and the bill is $350.

Said he needed to clean the carb a bunch of times because it was gummed up with old fuel residue.

I said that if I knew it was going to be $350 I would have bought a new one.

Basically, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Pay the guy $350 to get my lawn mower back (since it was more than $350 when I bought it) or tell him to keep it and go and buy another one.

Unfortunately you cant tell him to put it back like you brought it in and go elsewhere.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post

Unfortunately you cant tell him to put it back like you brought it in and go elsewhere.
Fortunately, you sometimes can. I once had a dealership do some automotive work I hadn't authorized and they expected me to pay for it. I refused. I told them to feel free to take those new parts back out and replace them with the ones that were originally in the car. As you can imagine I then got an offer to accept the work done at a VERY discounted rate, which I accepted.
I now ALWAYS have them put "Call with estimate if cost above x$ prior to initiating repair" on the work order.