Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Default Imported Van/Trucks Japan

Anyone on the board have one of these units and if so how do you like it..
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 PM

Default imports

We've got a nissan armada and a pathfinder and love em both. Great towing ratings on the armada and titan as well. Looking at getting a titan as we speak.
Geo
Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 PM

I think Gramps is more referring to the right hand drive Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) pickups and such, like those tiny flat deck delivery trucks or the Toyota Hilux pickups with the diesel engines. The Nissans you noted aren't actually imports, they are all manufactured domestically (as in North America ).They are generally being imported due to their age; older vehicles in Japan are taxed heavily, while used vehicles of a certain age can be imported to Canada without duties. The Japanese sell them cheap as they are costly to them both in taxes and insurance, and we reap the benefits.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

I know one thing for sure about these right hand drivers...the GLASS is illegal!! How and why they are getting passed through inspection is beyond me!!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Default imports

I've owned a rhd toyota landcruiser and a rhd toyota hilux. i was extremely impressed with both. the upside is you get an extremely well built vehicle that runs on the diesel. the downside is that parts are expensive and are getting harder to source. i would never, ever, ever, EVER buy a toyota hilux or landcruiser with the 2lte engine. the head gasket is notorious for cracking and it is very costly to fix (unless you are a mechanic and can do it yourself, then it's about $500) I think it was 1994 and later that the hiluxes were changed to the 3.0 L engine.

And my landcruiser was the best vehicle i ever owned. The only reason i sold it was that i couldn't work on it myself and the parts and labour was too expensive. so i sold it (after owning it for four years, i sold it for a profit) and bought a lexus gx470 (the closest thing to a landcruiser here in canada)

as for the vans, I heard there are some crossover parts from north american vehicles that can work for them.

all in all, i fully plan on owning another rhd drive landcruiser in the future. i just have to wait until i have enough disposable income to afford to maintain it. OR, go to school to learn to be a mechanic, and that's not happening so i will wait.

i hope this helps. if you are looking for more info on these rigs checkout ih8mud.com forum and delica.ca forums
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think Gramps is more referring to the right hand drive Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) pickups and such, like those tiny flat deck delivery trucks or the Toyota Hilux pickups with the diesel engines. The Nissans you noted aren't actually imports, they are all manufactured domestically (as in North America ).They are generally being imported due to their age; older vehicles in Japan are taxed heavily, while used vehicles of a certain age can be imported to Canada without duties. The Japanese sell them cheap as they are costly to them both in taxes and insurance, and we reap the benefits.
Yes Caber that is what i was talking about. I have seen a few out in the bush and was just thinking small heated and can go anywhere my Polaris can go...
Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 AM

Default trucks

I figured that about the trucks, but I wasn't 100% sure so I put my 2 cents in!

One thing about the right hand drives is the movement to ban their import. The accident rate is significantly higher in those here, particularly where turning left in two way traffic because you need to get so far out to see if anything is coming. Quebec has already banned them and BC and Sask are apparently looking at the same.
I know a couple of guys who have them and just love them, not so much for daily use but for camping and off road use.

Geo
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 PM

I've owned a RHD Mitsubish Pajero for two years. Just sold it though recently. If you're trying to save money, do not buy one!! As Gongshow mentioned, parts are hard to find, often needing importing from Japan and they'll take a significant amount of time. Not great for a daily driver because if it goes down, you'll need another vehicle for a month. Also, parts are generally 2-4x domestic parts. You'll need to likely join another forum just so you can get ideas on maintenance on the things. Remember, owners manuals are in Japanese. Its not a trivial thing to find out how much oil you need to put in the things, fuel tank capacities, radiator fluid capacities, etc. I was on a forum and it was invaluable during the time I owned it an maintained it.

Also, watch for guys selling trucks newer than the current month and newer than 1995. They are illegal. They cannot be registered here legally. Even if they say they can, its a lie and you will be caught with it and the truck will have to be destroyed. Also, not all insurance companies like insuring you with a RHD.

The higher accident rates are a fallacy. Stats will tell you anything you want them to. But from my experiences driving it though, you do have to pay attention more. Yes, right turns are tricky, you just have to be patient. Its the young punks in 300hp Skylines which are generally making a bad image for the RHD trucks and SUV's. If you are impatient with a RHD truck, maybe its not the best choice for you then.

If you do get one, prepare to get funny looks all the time. Even when i've lent my truck to friends, they notice that you get looked at all the time.

It sounds like i've ragged on them a little here, but I too will get another. I just bought a house and having a second vehicle being a RHD, it did not make financial sense. They're expensive. If you find one cheap, its for a reason. You cannot cheap out on paying or getting a deal on one, its for a reason. A good truck will command a good price.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM

I've got a RHD Subaru Impreza. Good little car, low mileage, low price compared to the domestics. Passing on 2 lane highways can be an issue - you either need a passenger, or wait for the right kind of curve so you can see around bigger vehicles. Parts for mine aren't too tough, so far, but then mine was also a domestic vehicle. You do get some funny looks - especially when there's an 18 ft camo'd canoe on the roof and a lab hanging his head out of what looks like the driver's window. People sometimes take pictures.

Now I'd like a Mitsubishi delica.