Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Well, I managed to meet up with surhuntsalot this morning (great guy!) and he was kind enough to pass along a liquid gas lantern to me

It still had some juice in it, so I decided to try to light it, but I don't know if I did something wrong or what. I followed the instructions on the cannister, but every time I lit it, I just got a big flame that went out shortly after I lit it, even though there was still plenty of pressure in the tank? I ended up cooking the mantle

So mudbug, since you're our resident lantern expert...what did I do wrong?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Well, I managed to meet up with surhuntsalot this morning (great guy!) and he was kind enough to pass along a liquid gas lantern to me

It still had some juice in it, so I decided to try to light it, but I don't know if I did something wrong or what. I followed the instructions on the cannister, but every time I lit it, I just got a big flame that went out shortly after I lit it, even though there was still plenty of pressure in the tank? I ended up cooking the mantle

So mudbug, since you're our resident lantern expert...what did I do wrong?
What comes to mind first is it's a generator issue, you may have the lever in the clean position when your trying to light it or you need to rotate the lever that cleans the generator a few times with the gas on to get a piece of crud out of the orfice. Or you don't have it pumped up enough Try the generator clean function first then let me know how it works out. if that doesn't fix it then you may have to come over for a root beer and we'll get it going for you
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
What comes to mind first is it's a generator issue, you may have the lever in the clean position when your trying to light it or you need to rotate the lever that cleans the generator a few times with the gas on to get a piece of crud out of the orfice. Or you don't have it pumped up enough Try the generator clean function first then let me know how it works out. if that doesn't fix it then you may have to come over for a root beer and we'll get it going for you
If I have time I'll grab a pack of mantles and give it a shot tonight.

I just followed the instructions on the side of the cannister...start with the knob closed and give it a turn open, cover the hole and pump it 30 times, then close the knob, add flame and turn on gas.

Looks like I need to do my homework and learn how to use this thing

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
If I have time I'll grab a pack of mantles and give it a shot tonight.

I just followed the instructions on the side of the cannister...start with the knob closed and give it a turn open, cover the hole and pump it 30 times, then close the knob, add flame and turn on gas.

Looks like I need to do my homework and learn how to use this thing
When they are not full of gas you need to pump them up a lot more than 30let me know how it works out
Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Hey Mudbug, I've got a 1955 and a 1956 Coleman 200, generator t-66, "Sunshine of the nights", both made in Canada . My question is what is the proper etiquet for starting these things up? What's with the right angle adjustment on the back side? Should it be up or down when starting? I can get them going but would be nice to know the proper way of doing it. Also can you still get parts for these things, need a globe for one. Another note, do they need Coleman camp fuel or will kerosine work?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
Hey Mudbug, I've got a 1955 and a 1956 Coleman 200, generator t-66, "Sunshine of the nights", both made in Canada . My question is what is the proper etiquet for starting these things up? What's with the right angle adjustment on the back side? Should it be up or down when starting? I can get them going but would be nice to know the proper way of doing it. Also can you still get parts for these things, need a globe for one. Another note, do they need Coleman camp fuel or will kerosine work?
You can still find parts for those, a globe will cost about $12.00 at Wholesale sports and don't use kerosine in them. There's another thread from a week or so back that mention coleman products etc as well, I'll see if I can find the link tomorrow and post it for you. If I remember correctly the adjustment should be down. If you turn it up when it's lit the mantle will turn itself almost out. It's used to clean the orfice in the generator by pushing any pieces of crud out

Here's a link that I haven't checked out yet but it looks interesting, I got it from the other thread I mentioned
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/
Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 AM

Well, thanks to an assist by ghostguy6 we got the lantern going last night down at the river, and I have to say it works well. Big thanks to surhuntsalot for passing it along to me

The biggest problem is that I didn't realize that it was supposed to kinda flare up when you first light it, so when I saw flames I got concerned and turned off the juice! Now I know better

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM

How about using a headlamp? From MEC, around $30 there awesome!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfin View Post
How about using a headlamp? From MEC, around $30 there awesome!
I actually have one (or two?) and use it quite regularly...definitely one of the handier items I have.

It's nice to have the area lit up as well though

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams