Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Default Lantern

Now that the days are getting shorter I want to get a lantern to use while fishing the river in the evenings. I had been using the flashlight that came with my cordless tool kit, but I dropped it and the bulb went *poof* and apparently a replacement is all but impossible to find

I like the ol' propane lanterns, but at $4 for a 1lb bottle I don't know that it's my most practical option.

Something either reasonably efficient or rechargeable would be nice so I don't have to worry about keeping spare batteries around all the time would be nice.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Don't know what's good and what's crap

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Now that the days are getting shorter I want to get a lantern to use while fishing the river in the evenings. I had been using the flashlight that came with my cordless tool kit, but I dropped it and the bulb went *poof* and apparently a replacement is all but impossible to find

I like the ol' propane lanterns, but at $4 for a 1lb bottle I don't know that it's my most practical option.

Something either reasonably efficient or rechargeable would be nice so I don't have to worry about keeping spare batteries around all the time would be nice.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Don't know what's good and what's crap
Get a Coleman liquid gas lantern, you can find them at garage sales for $10.00- $20.00 If you can't find one send me a Pm and I'll put one together for you and you can just pay me for what I put into one for you
Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Get a Coleman liquid gas lantern, you can find them at garage sales for $10.00- $20.00 If you can't find one send me a Pm and I'll put one together for you and you can just pay me for what I put into one for you
Liquid gas...so you're talking like naptha, right? I don't think I've ever stumbled across one of the old ones in my travels, but I do see that CT sells a new one for $80.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Liquid gas...so you're talking like naptha, right? I don't think I've ever stumbled across one of the old ones in my travels, but I do see that CT sells a new one for $80.
Those are the ones They are much cheaper to run than propane and give off way more light than battery powered ones and are cheaper to operate than battery powered ones as well. I've been collecting them for quite some time now. I fix them up and give them a good cleaning and they're ready to go. I've got a few that I picked up this summer that I'm in the process of getting them up and running again.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM

What cordless tool brand light have you got? I upgraded my 18V Milwaukee light with an LED bulb that showed up on my wholesalers wall, the thing works awesome and the battery lasts forever with the LED.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Those are the ones They are much cheaper to run than propane and give off way more light than battery powered ones and are cheaper to operate than battery powered ones as well. I've been collecting them for quite some time now. I fix them up and give them a good cleaning and they're ready to go. I've got a few that I picked up this summer that I'm in the process of getting them up and running again.
Cool, well if I can't find one at the flea market here (like I said, I've never stumbled across one before) I might just have to hit you up for one of those

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Geezle try to find a propane refill adapter. They are made by Mr.Heater their part #F276172.Works off a 20Lbs tank to refill your 1Lbs. bottles. Found mine at Bass Pro works well. Alot cheaper than buying new ones all the time.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Cool, well if I can't find one at the flea market here (like I said, I've never stumbled across one before) I might just have to hit you up for one of those
Feel free to send me a PM anytime. If you find one that needs a tune up just bring it over and we'll fix er up for you
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
What cordless tool brand light have you got? I upgraded my 18V Milwaukee light with an LED bulb that showed up on my wholesalers wall, the thing works awesome and the battery lasts forever with the LED.
Ryobi

I've actually got two of the sets, and I'm pretty sure somewhere I have a brand new flashlight I've never used, but this seems like a good excuse to get a new lantern

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Feel free to send me a PM anytime. If you find one that needs a tune up just bring it over and we'll fix er up for you
Bring it over? Are you in the neighborhood?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Bring it over? Are you in the neighborhood?
Yep, my location on this rock is close to yours

those propane adapters if you can find one would make the propane lanterns more feasible as well. Propane lanterns start new around $30.00 and up They are quieter than gas ones but I prefer the gas ones
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 PM

I've got the lantern you're lookin for. Only burnt a tank of fuel, good mantle, good glass, looks like new. Just wipe the dust off, fuel it up, oil the primer (hasn't been used in a couple years), and you should be good to go...

Did I read right, did you PM a kid who wanted to go fishing, but had no drivers license, and was tired of crap with his brother ?

Take a kid fishing and this lantern is free to you...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
I've got the lantern you're lookin for. Only burnt a tank of fuel, good mantle, good glass, looks like new. Just wipe the dust off, fuel it up, oil the primer (hasn't been used in a couple years), and you should be good to go...

Did I read right, did you PM a kid who wanted to go fishing, but had no drivers license, and was tired of crap with his brother ?

That's an offer you don't get everyday, that's very generous. That's what I like about this forum the most, the great people you find here. Geezle go for it and I'll service the lantern for you and give you a tank of gas for it
Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...rodDescription

is the link to the adaptors

and are you in the calgary area to do service on gas lanterns
Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Jay if you want I can make you a magnetic mount light you just plug into the jeep

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...rodDescription

is the link to the adaptors

and are you in the calgary area to do service on gas lanterns
I'm in the Edmonton area if you were refering to me
Old 09-28-2010, 10:44 PM

One Answer for you Jay , plugs into
And you have more light then a small city . This light is brighter then the two i have in my grill . Let me know next time your out , ill show up and light up your night bring the fella who wants to come fishing aswell .
Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Yep, my location on this rock is close to yours

those propane adapters if you can find one would make the propane lanterns more feasible as well. Propane lanterns start new around $30.00 and up They are quieter than gas ones but I prefer the gas ones
Cool, in that case we should get together for a bit one of these days

Those propane adapters are a possibility as well. Just wish I could pick one up locally instead of having to have it shipped.

Actually I take that back...I actually wanted one last year so I could run a little heater while ice fishing, but I picked up one of the big tank top sunflower type heaters, so I don't really have a use for the little bottles anymore...except maybe for a lantern?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post

Wow, that's an incredible offer! You've been PM'd

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
That's an offer you don't get everyday, that's very generous. That's what I like about this forum the most, the great people you find here. Geezle go for it and I'll service the lantern for you and give you a tank of gas for it
Again, another incredible offer! You guys rock!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Jay if you want I can make you a magnetic mount light you just plug into the jeep
Now that sounds like something that could be very useful for me at work. We'll talk about it next time we're out at the river

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
One Answer for you Jay , plugs into
And you have more light then a small city . This light is brighter then the two i have in my grill . Let me know next time your out , ill show up and light up your night bring the fella who wants to come fishing aswell .
That thing's wicked John!

Who needs a streetlight when you've got this thing around?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Lantern

I like my Brunton Glorb. Compact comes with protective case. Refillable from a can of premium butane. Can use with a mantle and gives about brightness of a 60 w bulb or if the mantle breaks you can use it in candle mode. Throws good heat as well tucked up under lawn chair by the river.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Glorb Pics

Brunton Glorb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9290579.JPG (63.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P9290581.JPG (64.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 PM

just fish in the dark ya wimp. i heard the nutcase that used to live down there has moved so ya should be safe. jeezz first ya put girly tires on the jeep now your afraid of the dark. lol
Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Brunton Glorb
That's a neat looking lantern, where did you get it? I've never seen one of those before that I can remember, I think I need one to add to my collection
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 PM

I got it during the Olympics at a military canteen. I was the chef in a camp feeding the military for a few months up at Cypress. Then set up a table every few weeks and sold clothes, hoodies, knives etc.A web search should give you Brunton's dealer locator for Alberta. I believe there is a brighter one yet that is equivilant to a 100wbulb. I like the candle feature cuz I have a tendency to be hard on mantles.
The unit has flame height adjustment by turning the base counter-clockwise to increase gas flow.
Base has 3 legs that swing out to stabilize the lantern. Screw on bottom removes leg base and then reveals butane charging nipple.

Last edited by omega50; 09-29-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM

Jay I have an old "woods" propane 1 mantel lantern you can have buddy I got probably 30hrs off 2 of those 4$ bottles you speak of that's along time dude.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I got it during the Olympics at a military canteen. I was the chef in a camp feeding the military for a few months up at Cypress. Then set up a table every few weeks and sold clothes, hoodies, knives etc.A web search should give you Brunton's dealer locator for Alberta. I believe there is a brighter one yet that is equivilant to a 100wbulb. I like the candle feature cuz I have a tendency to be hard on mantles.
I'm definately going to have to look one of those up. I've got coleman single burner stoves and lanterns that go back to WWII or older plus some beacon lanterns etc that are even older. I even have two of the three burner coleman stoves that are just like new as well as numerous two burner ones as well. I like collecting and fixing up those old lanterns and such, keeps me out of trouble..... sometimes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
just fish in the dark ya wimp. i heard the nutcase that used to live down there has moved so ya should be safe. jeezz first ya put girly tires on the jeep now your afraid of the dark. lol
So are you coming out fishing Friday or what?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams