Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM

That is my point also, NB is bilingual not like Quebec which is officially French speaking only; for now?
But the agenda is .... and will continue as it has since the establishment of the University of Moncton to eventually make New Brunswick a French province emulating Quebec where the English language is all but outlawed.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen d. View Post
That is my point also, NB is bilingual not like Quebec which is officially French speaking only; for now?
But the agenda is .... and will continue as it has since the establishment of the University of Moncton to eventually make New Brunswick a French province emulating Quebec where the English language is all but outlawed.
Wrong. I don't know if anyone could truely call NB bilingual. They speak neither french nor english. Mostly just a bastardized combiniation of both, in conjunction with an eastern accent and seem pretty happy with the way it is. That province is the perfect example of local culture evolving without political interferrance. Now if you want to talk about natives fishing lobsters in government purchased boats yer gonna have a FIGHT!!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Wrong. I don't know if anyone could truely call NB bilingual. They speak neither french nor english. Mostly just a bastardized combiniation of both, in conjunction with an eastern accent and seem pretty happy with the way it is. That province is the perfect example of local culture evolving without political interferrance. Now if you want to talk about natives fishing lobsters in government purchased boats yer gonna have a FIGHT!!
Yeah, sometimes the Acadians I know will flip into Chiac just to confuse all the Anglos *and* francos around. They speak it really *fast* as well.

It's funny because Montréal's developing a similar pidgin -- or rather, the central part of the island. But it's not spoken as fast and it's still got no real system behind it. It's what I speak with Mrs' Roadkill at home, and we're hearing it a lot on the streets, expecially when it's kids talking. I have *no* idea what this may turn into given a few decades...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 PM

You guys realize that you are never going to get through to Mr. glen d. right?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Yeah, sometimes the Acadians I know will flip into Chiac just to confuse all the Anglos *and* francos around. They speak it really *fast* as well.

It's funny because Montréal's developing a similar pidgin -- or rather, the central part of the island. But it's not spoken as fast and it's still got no real system behind it. It's what I speak with Mrs' Roadkill at home, and we're hearing it a lot on the streets, expecially when it's kids talking. I have *no* idea what this may turn into given a few decades...

You know something? If we somehow manage to NOT extripate ourselves, in a century or two John Lennon just may have had it right. No races, no religion....

The world is getting smaller each day. Perhaps a blending into 'one' is a natural path in the grand experiment that is humanity? Is this our inevitable destiny?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM

Take another look Tree. Nationalism is actually on the rise, especially in Europe. Which is interesting with their European Union which was supposed to sorta suppress that sort of thing.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Newbrunswickans speak the only perfect english. Nova Scotians however sound very much like a Newfy with a speech impediment reading a Gaelic poem. Never could figure out what they were jibberin about. Even the French can't understand them, yet they sound so similar.

I remember in Grade six when they first made french mandatory for two classes a week, they couldn't find a teacher cause nobody in our area spoke any french so they got the janitor to teach it because he knew a bunch of french slang swear words he learned from his cousin who was a Cajun from some Mississippi bayou.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Take another look Tree. Nationalism is actually on the rise, especially in Europe. Which is interesting with their European Union which was supposed to sorta suppress that sort of thing.
Unfortunately, Matt, it is a false rise of nationalism. One based mainly on fear due to decades of overtly liberal immigration policies and the resulting and escalating violence Europe has witnessed during/previous/after the Dannish cartoon kerfuffle. My post was in regards to what (if) we will exist as, as a species after a century or two.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Newbrunswickans speak the only perfect english. Nova Scotians however sound very much like a Newfy with a speech impediment reading a Gaelic poem. Never could figure out what they were jibberin about. Even the French can't understand them, yet they sound so similar.

I remember in Grade six when they first made french mandatory for two classes a week, they couldn't find a teacher cause nobody in our area spoke any french so they got the janitor to teach it because he knew a bunch of french slang swear words he learned from his cousin who was a Cajun from some Mississippi bayou.
That, my friend is the best description of NB I've ever heard. God love 'em!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is very true. The far right is flourishing right now and the reds are panicking. The BNP (British National Party) won 2 seats in the EU, Geert Wilders Freedom party won 4 seats in the EU and in 3 months is expected to win the Prime Ministers spot. The far right in Italy, Greece, Sweden, Switzerland and France is raising in support faster then any other party and in Germany where the far right has not seen much support since 1933 they now have a strangle hold on east Germany and are branching into west Germany giving leftists fits. And studys say 1-10 German youth under 21 are involved with the far right.

Now these people are not Nazis and no one will be goose stepping down the road these are all parties and people that want to see our European culture and traditions carry on for generations to come and not have their country succumb to mass waves of Immigration and Islamization.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Seems to me we just discussed this subject and guess what it sufaces in Alberta to .... is there an agenda here?!

July 7, 2008

Gilles Caron, the Francophone truck driver who has [been] pleading his cause in Alberta courts since 2006, received a favourable ruling from Provincial Court Judge Leo Wenden recently. In 2003, Caron received a $54 traffic ticket for making an unsafe left turn. He proceeded to ask for a French hearing, but was denied under the Languages Act[1] that revoked these rights in Alberta.[2] Judge Wenden found the law unconstitutional, and Caron was cleared of the traffic offence. According to defence lawyer Rupert Beaudais, "the case was never about a minor traffic offence. This case was about challenging the constitutional validity of Alberta’s language laws, which abolished all French language rights."[3] Lise Routhier Boudreau, the President of the Fédération des communautés francophones et acadienne du Canada, believes that the Caron decision is a step in the right direction for minority language rights in the country, adding to the recent victories of Justin Bell in Saskatchewan and Marie-Claire Paulin of New Brunswick against the RCMP.[4]
Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
You guys realize that you are never going to get through to Mr. glen d. right?
I'm starting to...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 PM

See what i mean .... when will it end .... whats the agenda?

Alberta francophones seek cash for court challenge

By Mike De Souza, Canwest News ServiceMarch 4, 2009

OTTAWA — A $54 traffic ticket has sparked a new complaint against the Harper government over Canada's Official Languages Act and thousands of dollars worth of legal fees.
The ticket, issued in 2003, was challenged by a francophone Alberta truck driver named Gilles Caron because it was not written in French. A provincial court supported that view, declaring provincial languages law unconstitutional in a decision that could force Alberta to spend millions on services for the linguistic minority.
But following an appeal by the Alberta government, an association of French Canadians from Alberta now says the federal Conservatives have dropped the ball by refusing to offer financial aid for them to continue battling the case up to the Supreme Court.
Jean Johnson, the president of the Association canadienne-francaise de l'Alberta, said his organization has already spent tens of thousands on legal fees. Johnson says the decision flies in the face of the government's pledge to continue offering aid for cases that were ongoing before 2006 — when it decided to cancel a federal program supporting court cases that advance language and equality rights guaranteed under Canada's Constitution.
"This is not about getting financial aid. It's a question of getting respect from our government," said Johnson in an interview. "The Canadian Constitution belongs not to the government but to citizens and we as citizens want the government to respect its citizenship, diversity, and values of linguistic duality."
Johnson's association has filed a complaint with the federal commissioner of official languages arguing that the Harper government's decision violates its obligation to support development of minority francophone and anglophone communities.
A spokesperson for Heritage Minister James Moore referred questions to bureaucrats in the department who said that the federal government was clear when it cancelled the court challenges program that its policy was to honour existing commitments for ongoing cases but not to approve new recipients to the program.
However, the government was not immediately able to explain why one organization of francophones from Saskatchewan, l'Assemblee communautaire fransaskoise, received a letter last November that approved financial support for its involvement in supporting Caron's legal case under the court challenges program.
"No one can trust the Conservatives when we're talking about official languages," said Liberal heritage critic Pablo Rodriguez. "They will always try to justify their flip-flops, their inaction, or breaking their word on this file . . . We've often heard Conservative MPs speaking out against Canada's linguistic duality. So it's a file they are uncomfortable with."
More than 20 years ago, a similar case about a traffic fine in Manitoba was fought all the way to the Supreme Court, eventually forcing the provincial government to translate all of its laws into French and requiring its legislature and courts to conduct business in both official languages.
"Under no circumstances would we bow out on this file," said Johnson. "It applies just as much to minority francophone communities living outside of Quebec as it does to minority anglophone communities who live in Quebec."
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

What are you trying to get at Glenn D.? And whose side are you on?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM

I'm not quite sure what he's getting at, but I'm pretty damn sure the only side he's on is his own.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
listening to the opening i thought the games were somewhere other than Canada, All I heard was french then English, when any new things was going on, I bet some people of the world think French is the first language of Canada, not in MY Backyard.

my 2 CENTS
I agree that is what i would have thought if I didn't know that the games were in B.C. W.T.H.. Why did the French language come before the English... They are always making big deals out of there culture being belittled... How the how is that???? It seems like there is always an issue with them...WHY??? Are they that hard done by?? No I don't think so!!! If you ask me and alot of others I think that they have it pretty good... QUIT complaining.. If they put as much effort into helping out " THE FAMILY" as people put it as they do into " COMPLAINING" (to put it nicely) then maybe they could accomplish something instead of just reaping the benfits....
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 PM

As has been said several times in this thread, the use of french at the Olympics has damn all to do with Quebec! French and English (in that order) are the official languages of the Olympics. Is it clear now?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 AM

This has already been covered in this thread. Quebec has no say in the language. This is determined by the IOC. As required by the IOC
presentation are to be in French then English and the mother tongue of the host country third.

Many know that the first Olympics were held in Ancient Greece. But fewer people know that the Olympics as we know them now were revived in the late 19th century in France by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, a historian and teacher.

De Coubertin was responsible for establishing the International Olympic Committee and planning the first sets of games, the 1896 Olympics in Athens, Greece and the 1900 Olympics in de Coubertin’s hometown of Paris, France. This is why French was the first official language of the Olympics.

To this day, the International Olympic Committee presides over the Olympics, and their official charter states that French and English are its official languages and that all sessions of the IOC provide simultaneous interpreting services to accommodate speakers of French, English, German, Spanish and Russian.

They spoke French in 2008 at Bejing.

Yes Quebec is a spoiled child. They will complain about almost everything English Canada does and take it as a slight.
But lets be better than that and be informed about what we complain about.

Glen the French Quebecers have been doing this for years. I remember clearly
a rant my Father went on in 1977 when a French Canadian fought to have his trial completely in French.I remember it clearly because my father a french Canadian himself was furious that the Goverment of the day even considered this request. His exact words to me were " If you want a trial in french stay in quebec and break the law there"

It also goes both ways English Familys have been winning in court for government funding for their english schools that the provincial government was trying to force out.

Not much is new, most of this has been going on for longer than most on here can remember and no one has posted in French, The conspiracy to turn us all into Frenchies cant be that strong.

Save time... see it my way
Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
I agree that is what i would have thought if I didn't know that the games were in B.C. W.T.H.. Why did the French language come before the English... They are always making big deals out of there culture being belittled... How the how is that???? It seems like there is always an issue with them...WHY??? Are they that hard done by?? No I don't think so!!! If you ask me and alot of others I think that they have it pretty good... QUIT complaining.. If they put as much effort into helping out " THE FAMILY" as people put it as they do into " COMPLAINING" (to put it nicely) then maybe they could accomplish something instead of just reaping the benfits....
Agh...

Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Many people believed that "Official Bilingualism" was intended specifically for the purpose of making French Canadians be a part of the whole. The initial intention was to provide government services to the public in both languages at the federal level.

But, as you say, "rights" are always a slippery slope. For example, once people saw that the federal government was willing to provide services in both languages, a few bureaucrats decided to push further, demanding that they be allowed to work in French, even though this had nothing to do with serving the public. The bureaucracy decided that this was another good intention, and allowed them to work in French. The French workers then demanded that they be supervised in French. Again the bureaucracy agreed and designated management positions "bilingual imperative". The result was that only a small minority of bilingual people can apply for these management positions. So, we now have a policy where the majority of Canadians are frozen out of management positions in their own federal government for the sake of a small minority of workers being able to speak French on the job, even though they are not serving the public directly.

This is clearly a case of the "tail wagging the dog". Whether this has happened through some devious conspiracy or through bureaucratic bumbling is not really the point. The problem is that once people's rights to work as managers in their own government have been lost, they are very difficult to regain. We have to look at the consequences of any policy to decide if it is a "good" or "bad" policy. The initial intention has little to do with it.

The only reasonable way to evaluate a policy is to examine whether it is the best policy for the majority of people. A policy which discriminates against the majority of Canadians in terms of government hiring cannot possibly be a good policy. A policy which allows one person to sue the Manitoba government over a traffic ticket and force the entire province to spend billions conducting its affairs in both languages cannot possibly be a good policy, particularly while at the same time Quebec is allowed to enact discriminatory laws against its English-speaking population.

In the final analysis, we can only conclude that "Official Bilingualism" is a bad policy for the majority of Canadians. It is concluded that if Quebec can opt out of "bilingualism" then so can the other provinces. I suggest they do it quickly before people find out that they are frozen out of management positions in their own provincial and municipal governments as well.

Sincerely,
Rob Brown
Canadians Against Enforced Bilingualism (CAB)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 AM

Ladies and Gents,
There is no doubt this is a French Conspiracy. There is overwhelming proof through culminating evidence and many speeches by the French leaders especially Trudeau over the last several decades which prove without a shadow of a doubt their clear agenda to ensure the best jobs and lifestyle for Francophones. The attitude of most Canadians which is an altruistic view sanctioning forced multiculturalism and minority group rights. The point is the rights of all individuals are denied when group rights are forced. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms was enacted to pave the way for extreme over reaching priveleges for Francophones and which is on its way to ensuring an elite French class in Canada through the Official Bilingualism Act. .
Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Oh noes!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Ladies and Gents,
There is no doubt this is a French Conspiracy. There is overwhelming proof through culminating evidence and many speeches by the French leaders especially Trudeau over the last several decades which prove without a shadow of a doubt their clear agenda to ensure the best jobs and lifestyle for Francophones. The attitude of most Canadians which is an altruistic view sanctioning forced multiculturalism and minority group rights. The point is the rights of all individuals are denied when group rights are forced. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms was enacted to pave the way for extreme over reaching priveleges for Francophones and which is on its way to ensuring an elite French class in Canada through the Official Bilingualism Act. .
Or maybe some people believe way to much of what they read on angryfools.com ...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Or maybe some people believe way to much of what they read on angryfools.com ...
Man, continually coming back here and posting to correct the ignorant and uninformed is like being on crack... you know it's useless and not doing anyone any good, and you should just stop, but you can't!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM

So now that i have your attention;

1. Canadians should of had a vote on the official lanquage act, what do you think.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
So now that i have your attention;

1. Canadians should of had a vote on the official lanquage act, what do you think.
That's what we elect representatives for (and vote them out if we don't like the quality of their decisions). The alternative is to have the public vote on EVERY act. You find this particular act odious and you believe that most Canadians think as you do, so of course you want a referendum. But there are plenty of bills others feel the same way about... Free trade, Firearms legislation, etc. etc.

So the short answer to your questions is "no".

Now the Constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is another matter. Seems to me that those documents would have been very worthy of a referendum, given they're the bedrock of our entire system of government.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ladies and Gents,
Listen, I am all for conspiracy theories ( Government conspiracy's, Multicultural/Minority group conspiracy's, Left/communist conspiracy's etc) But a french conspiracy? I am not buying this at all. I think Trudeau was an assclown who robbed Alberta hard but I do not think he was leading some "secret" french agenda.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Man, continually coming back here and posting to correct the ignorant and uninformed is like being on crack... you know it's useless and not doing anyone any good, and you should just stop, but you can't!
Ugh. I know. It actually hurts sometimes...

Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 AM

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck then guess what ....

Pierre Trudeau - “Unilingual Anglophones will be sentenced to a lifetime of job immobility.”

Donald Deeprose, (retired L.Col) quotes Jules Leger’s speech – 1968. . . "The Canadian Government is now engaged in a national task of spreading the French language across the length and breadth of the country."

Jean Pepin in 1970. . . "We were a small group, Trudeau, Pelletier, Laland, Chretien, and myself and a few people in the civil service, say 50 in total. We were bringing off a revolution! We held the key posts. We were making the civil service, kicking and screaming at the time, bilingual. We were a well organized group of revolutionaries, just like them*” (*reference to the FLQ) "

Leo Cadieux in 1973. . . stated when addressing the French National Assembly, “Canada is going to be a French speaking Nation from Coast to Coast and anyone who is opposed to it is opposed to the best interests of Canada.”

Serge Joyal's speech in 1982. . . “Everything we undertake and everything we are doing to make Canada a French State is part of a venture I shared for many years with a number of people! The idea, the challenge of making Canada a French Country both inside and outside Quebec- an idea that some people consider a little bit crazy,-this is something beyond ordinary imagination”!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Things will never change, The socialist republic of new france is STILL ****ed about that whole Plains of Abraham thing, and damn it THEY WANT TO WIN ONE!!!! stupid MONTCALM!!!!
Closed Thread