Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Instead of provinces separating, how about we separate all the media to somewhere like Iran? They're the ones who keep perpetuating this crap.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Instead of provinces separating, how about we separate all the media to somewhere like Iran? They're the ones who keep perpetuating this crap.
Believe me, I agree completely.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:58 AM

Do what will drive them the most crazy... just ignore them. Don't argue, don't placate, don't get mad, don't bend over backwards. Just ignore them. Smile, sell our oil and crops to the States, buy a Japanese car, go on holiday to Mexico... they are irrelevant.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM

Default Yes.. this is a media thing.

They dangled.. and we bit.

Roadkill is very very correct. Just chalk it up to people trying to use fear to sell papers.....
The 'new' generation (18 to 40) are NOT interested in nationalism. Barring some major 'langugage 9/11', we are seeing the death of the PQ and quebec nationalism. They are big on multi-culturalism and multi lingualism. They don't much care about heritage b/c heritage does not get them a decent job in any competitive market.

They also know whats good for them...... separate? Fat chance! No one wants to cut off the $$$.

If they cut us off from maple syrup.. Then I say we take off the kid gloves!!

Don't mess w/my breakfast!

bd

ps.. what is gonna happen to us when the oils gone??.......
Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=bessiedog;512192]
If they cut us off from maple syrup.. Then I say we take off the kid gloves!!

Don't mess w/my breakfast!

bd

QUOTE]

Yup, ya can push a people only so far...
Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM

I thought this thead was going to get interesting when the subject of french women was brought up.....

These Quebec vs Alberta threads are starting to get monotonous - nothing new ever comes up.

So....
1)Does Ontario benefit from Alberta and Quebec squabbles?

2) Does the centralist controlled liberal CBC media probagate this animosity to each other?

3) Do I sound like a conspiracy theorist?

4) Can Quebec and Alberta join forces, have more control of our individual provincal direction and live more satisfied (fair share of power and a say in legislation and Canadian direction) in confederation. (I keep putting this idea out there hoping it will gain some traction)?

5) Or is it a foregone conclusion that the only way Alberta and the west will have a fair balance of power is if Quebec leaves?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Blackheart: "4) Can Quebec and Alberta join forces, have more control of our individual provincal direction and live more satisfied (fair share of power and a say in legislation and Canadian direction) in confederation. (I keep putting this idea out there hoping it will gain some traction)?"

I like your option 4.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 PM

X2 on option 4 BlackHeart. I'm getting so sick and tired of all this separatist talk. If we'd quit acting like a bunch of whiny two yr. olds, We could really go somewhere with this country.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Blackheart: "4) Can Quebec and Alberta join forces, have more control of our individual provincal direction and live more satisfied (fair share of power and a say in legislation and Canadian direction) in confederation. (I keep putting this idea out there hoping it will gain some traction)?"

I like your option 4.
Excelent idea!! The only problem I see is that Alberta isn't "distinct", so doesn't qualify!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
They're upset at the lack of Quebecer's at the games. I often wonder when there was a vote in Quebec if they wanted to stay or seperate why there wasn't another vote on wether we wanted to keep them or not.
http://sports.ca.msn.com/olympics/ar...entid=23461962
A very good point ! could have them whining to themselves in English "what the ---- happened" our Country turned against us.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM

A better question is: WHY SHOULD THE WEST STAY?

For 100 years, Alberta and the West have been trying to become real members of Canada and true, equal partners in Confederation. These efforts have proved fruitless. It is time to move forward and protect Alberta's future. It is time to stop the financial and emotional drain caused by an incompetent, unresponsive political and bureaucratic nightmare called "Ottawa".

Economic Cost of Federation for Alberta, 1961 – Present
Alberta has, on a per capita basis, been Ottawa's largest single contributor. For example, between 1961 and 1992, Alberta paid $139 billion more to Ottawa than it received back from Ottawa. That is what it cost Albertans to be Canadian. *
And where did the money go? During that time frame, the province of Quebec, despite its large population and vibrant economy, was a net recipient of over $ 168 billion from Ottawa. Alberta was paying Quebec to be Canadian. *
* Source: Dr. Robert Mansell and Ronald Schlenker, "The Provincial Distribution of Federal Fiscal Balances," Canadian Business Economics 3:2 (Winter, 1995), 3-21
There are two net contributors to Ottawa: Alberta and Ontario. The difference is that Ontario gets a return on investment. They have a diversified economy with end use manufacturing. They also have a strong voice in federal policy. The Kyoto Accord would have adversely affected Alberta and Ontario, however, Ottawa exempted the Ontario Auto Industry from the Accord.
Last year Alberta sent $20 billion to Ottawa for equilization payments.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen d. View Post
The Kyoto Accord would have adversely affected Alberta and Ontario, however, Ottawa exempted the Ontario Auto Industry from the Accord.
Now be fair. Ottawa exempted everyone from the Kyoto Accord.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Okay, I'll be serious for a second. Our political situation is simply godawful. Charest is trying to play both sides of the line in order to stay in business, and the central powers of the PQ are trying to do the same. Of course, the PQ hard-line keeps trying to pull the party (and eventually the province) back into the good old days of strident nationalist rhetoric and mass demonstrations. Charest is clearly federalist, but coming out too openly as such will only hurt him because the PQ always tries to make that stuff sound like it's anti-Québec. He ain't perfect, but right now, he's the best we've got. For what it's worth, I've never voted for him in my life.

And this whole ugly-a55ed nightmare is completely out of touch with the Montrealer on the street, who speaks two or three languages, often lives in two or three languages, and wants his or her kids to grow out of Québec's ghetto past. It's like there are several Québecs living side-by-side and fighting for a little recognition. And of course, the clowns who can't handle reality always end up on TV. It's bloody embarrassing.
One day the regular everyday Joe Quebecer will speak and the dolts will all need new jobs. Until then you have my sympathy, but you could send back some of my taxes! LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
One day the regular everyday Joe Quebecer will speak and the dolts will all need new jobs. Until then you have my sympathy, but you could send back some of my taxes! LOL
You kidding? How do you think I got my gun?

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how 10 % can hold 90 % hostage....for 50 years !!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
You kidding? How do you think I got my gun?
Well, if it's used for that I guess it's it's all right...
Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 PM

I can't believe they gave in and are going to make up for the lack of French in the opening with a lack of English in the closing!! No wonder they keep crying, if they do they get their way. Time for some tuff love Frenchmen "NO we are not going to change things" that would have been my answer!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
I can't believe they gave in and are going to make up for the lack of French in the opening with a lack of English in the closing!! No wonder they keep crying, if they do they get their way. Time for some tuff love Frenchmen "NO we are not going to change things" that would have been my answer!

Uh, Frenchmen live in France...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Ya whatever road.

I can't believe the olympics were in Vancouver(western Canada) and we had to listen to everything in french first then english. Give me a break! I know we have 2 languages but when most of the attendees speak english and it is in an english speaking province at least do english first. If the olympics are ever in Quebec then by all means do french then english.
Just making a point anyway. I bet you won't see a big ordeal over it being the other way this time from the english speaking majority!! I now know why you guys wine about it all the time, because you are as the thread states "a problem child"
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Ya whatever road.

I can't believe the olympics were in Vancouver(western Canada) and we had to listen to everything in french first then english. Give me a break! I know we have 2 languages but when most of the attendees speak english and it is in an english speaking province at least do english first. If the olympics are ever in Quebec then by all means do french then english.
Just making a point anyway. I bet you won't see a big ordeal over it being the other way this time from the english speaking majority!! I now know why you guys wine about it all the time, because you are as the thread states "a problem child"
Actually, it's not a "whatever" thing. There's a 5200 kilometre difference between Quebec City and Paris. If you can't even get the terminology straight, what does that say about your argument?

And honestly, if you're that discombobulated about which language came first during the closing ceremony of the Olympics, then I want your problems instead of mine.

Also, I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that it was always French first at the closing ceremonies? At least, I remember it being that way for Beijing.

It's not Québec's fault that there's French at these games. The official languages of the Olympics has always been English and French, with the language of a host country getting third place at any given games. If I remember correctly, that is. No guarantees...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Ya whatever road.

Who's doing the whining here? "oooohhh, I heard French before English once. I'm so mad!!!"

Take a pill.

I guess you didn't notice all those whiney "Frenchy" athletes whipping their hats off when the anthem was played, singing O Canada out loud, and skating around with the Canadian flag. It's clear we let the whiney, angry, deluded 2% on either side of the French/English divide get all the air time and the other 96% of us who get along and couldn't care less about which side of the cereal box faces forward just move on. A pox on journalists and thread starters.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM

^^amen!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 AM

The majority, which is english in this country, never ever voted on this official lanquages crap so we are sick and tired of it being shoved down our throats.
Address the majority in English first.

Thanks to the whining of the minority french speaking people, they bring the attention that is needed to wake up the west to their intentions.

We must stop this by informing our politians out west here to use the notwithstanding clause and put a stop to the official lanquage act in the west.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The majority, which is english in this country, never ever voted on this official lanquages crap so we are sick and tired of it being shoved down our throats.
Address the majority in English first.

Thanks to the whining of the minority french speaking people, they bring the attention that is needed to wake up the west to their intentions.

We must stop this by informing our politians out west here to use the notwithstanding clause and put a stop to the official lanquage act in the west.
My god. We are going to use the "not withstanding" clause now to eliminate the announcers at the Olympics from speaking both English and French... that's what this has come to.

Glen, look around you... do you see that 98% of Westerners didn't have steam blowing from their ears when they heard French at the medal ceremonies? Don't you suspect you might be a little out of touch with the thinking of most of the country? I heard lots of Olympic watercooler talk today at the office. NONE of it was about the overuse of French.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 AM

That is not what i meant, you know it, play the dumb card .... your a dandy

We the english,the majority, the voting majority did not have a vote on the official lanquage act.

We must free the West from forced bilinqualism.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Your missing Oko's point too glen, the majority of th ewest doesn't give a damn!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM

The water cooler talk ... are you kidding me, thats the workplace, people are not stupid, they wouldn't touch that topic as minoritys know their rights and would have them up on harassment.

I do believe with the West, they do care but it is the silent majority that will speak when the time comes as Western/Alberta prepares to form a new republic nation of the West.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 AM

glen.d. your ability to destroy a thread is impressive, to say the least.

And I'm really only interested in saying the least.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Western Canada is completely fluent in our English language. The New Republic will be officially English. All official government business, traffic signs, etc. shall be conducted in English only. English is the business language of the world - another good reason to make English our official language. The bondage and corruption imposed on the majority by the French minority shall end! This will free the west at last from the immoral and horrendous coercion for official bilingualism!

We the english,the majority, the voting majority did not have a vote on the official lanquage act.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Western Canada is completely fluent in our English language. The New Republic will be officially English. All official government business, traffic signs, etc. shall be conducted in English only. English is the business language of the world - another good reason to make English our official language. The bondage and corruption imposed on the majority by the French minority shall end! This will free the west at last from the immoral and horrendous coercion for official bilingualism!

If your Western Utopia plans to be part of NAFTA, it'll still have tri-lingualism shoved down its throat, as NAFTA's three official languages supersede any nation's uni-or bi-linualism.

And of course, once the big, bad East is no longer a problem, the Shikh and Chinese communities would represent a much bigger percentage of your country, and would likely have enough clout to make demands of their own.

And if your western republic includes Manitoba, there's no way those Francos would accept losing official language status.

You're not getting the Red Ensign back, Jack. You're not getting a stout British colony back, and you're not ever going to live in a unilingual country, no matter where you draw your lines. You can either accept it and worry about more important things, or you can continue to be a dolt.

Your choice.

Closed Thread