Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2022, 01:59 PM

Default Dentists

I could probably end the thread with the title, lol, but I will expend a bit.

Come in on time. They give me a few pages long questionnaire to “update my info”. Asking regular stuff, medical conditions, etc. Why do they care about my employment, employer, their phone number, etc? Obviously fill out only what I think they should worry about and keep on file (already on file). Then wait for 40 minutes.

Once in, let’s do some X-ray. Is it necessary to do it every year? Well… Ok, but not doing it next time. Good teeth. Thanks. Cleaning, yada yada. The dentist does a check up after. Boom. Done and out in 40 minutes. You owe us $182 after the insurance. After the insurance? Yes. Well, that is insane! Yep, thanks for that insurance, it would have been $550 otherwise. Well, thanks!

Effing.

Edit: I guess I should say dental offices and not necessarily dentists.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:09 PM

One of the biggest rackets out there, huge prices, different rates if you have insurance or not, like you said, want to do the x-rays every visit, etc.

One of two reasons I don't go often.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
One of the biggest rackets out there, huge prices, different rates if you have insurance or not, like you said, want to do the x-rays every visit, etc.

One of two reasons I don't go often.
Nailed it. X-rays everytime……$250.00/+ for X-rays. Clean teeth 2/annually @ $400.00 cleaning. Need question the dentist. Do I actually need this…… Then they make you sign a sheet, that you denied the X-ray. This is after spending last 20+ years at that dentist. They in the gouging pocket of the group insurers. No wonder small, large business keep looking for new group insurance rates for employees. The average user never questions the dentist? But the employer sure questions the insurance provider… rates go up.up.up..
Old 11-03-2022, 02:20 PM

Ya, I hear ya. Mine at least likes to just do x-rays every 2 years.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:32 PM

Alberta dentist are the worst Crooks in all of Canada as far as dentists go

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2022, 02:33 PM

Mine calls about a month before the plan's anniversary date just to get it maxed out.
WDF
Old 11-03-2022, 02:45 PM

my dentist had a shiny new ferrari parked at his office when I arrived in July. I told him I was sorry but I dinged it when I opened my door, he said don't worry about it, the last patient said he ****ed on it...he does have a sense of humour and lots of women working for him.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:52 PM

We just started orthodontist with my son. They don't even direct bill insurance companies. They could care less to help their clients. They talk more about billing, then about dental procedures. money money money
Old 11-03-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zims23 View Post
We just started orthodontist with my son. They don't even direct bill insurance companies. They could care less to help their clients. They talk more about billing, then about dental procedures. money money money
Pet peeve of mine about the money, money, money. I understand it is a business but they do go looking to use up all of your insurance funds.

Dodger.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
my dentist had a shiny new ferrari parked at his office
8 yrs of university will do that
Old 11-03-2022, 05:59 PM

Maybe we could have threads about lawyers, plumbers, mechanics, accountants, and whoever else you think is a crook and charges you too much money for their specialized services?

Any ideas what it costs to go to dental school, and how long it takes? Or law school?

Do you know, we have dentists on this forum? And lawyers, plumbers, mechanics, etc?

Just curious how anyone would feel about having their particular field of work singled out and disparaged.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-03-2022, 06:03 PM

If you want to have fun with your dentist - tell him/her that you're thinking of getting all your dental stuff done in Mexico ...."A friend said the money he saved paid for his 2-week all-inclusive vacation on the beach !!!" And watch the fireworks!

My dental office for 30 years wanted to update their files, and asked for my Social Insurance Number !
Old 11-03-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I could probably end the thread with the title, lol, but I will expend a bit.

Come in on time. They give me a few pages long questionnaire to “update my info”. Asking regular stuff, medical conditions, etc. Why do they care about my employment, employer, their phone number, etc? Obviously fill out only what I think they should worry about and keep on file (already on file). Then wait for 40 minutes.

Once in, let’s do some X-ray. Is it necessary to do it every year? Well… Ok, but not doing it next time. Good teeth. Thanks. Cleaning, yada yada. The dentist does a check up after. Boom. Done and out in 40 minutes. You owe us $182 after the insurance. After the insurance? Yes. Well, that is insane! Yep, thanks for that insurance, it would have been $550 otherwise. Well, thanks!

Effing.

Edit: I guess I should say dental offices and not necessarily dentists.
I haven't had my teeth x-rayed in probably 20 years. They keep asking and I keep saying no. I do have a robust benefits package that will pay for x-rays all the time, but why bother. I tell the dentist I'll let them know when it hurts.
A few years ago my (new to me) dentist told me I needed a crown. My benefits provider wouldn't pay for it unless they saw pictures of the tooth. The dentist took pictures of the tooth and sent it into the benefits provider. They denied payment so I never got a crown, and my teeth aren't sore. Dentists have a good thing going. Seems my benefit provider is on to them.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:54 PM

Sounds like a lot of people are jealous that they didn't go to dentistry school.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Maybe we could have threads about lawyers, plumbers, mechanics, accountants, and whoever else you think is a crook and charges you too much money for their specialized services?

Any ideas what it costs to go to dental school, and how long it takes? Or law school?

Do you know, we have dentists on this forum? And lawyers, plumbers, mechanics, etc?

Just curious how anyone would feel about having their particular field of work singled out and disparaged.

I hear ya on this. Yep lots of different pros on here. It's just the part when they look into what you have for benefits before they even look at you. The surprise X-rays always catches me off guard.

Dodger.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:10 PM

Paid $6 for a lb of butter las week!
Bloody grocers! 😡

But take heart. Trudeau’s got your back. He’s going to give you the national Dental plan. That way we can all chip in for your X-rays and cleanings.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:36 PM

One thing I have been told over the years is that the insurance policies with your company is at least 2 years behind the rates the dentist charges. Now Extra charge. Insurance my pay for a complete x-ray (top, bottom and all around the world thing) every 2 years but they are behind the cost. If they do not direct bill, find a different one. Crowns are really not needed. They do the job but are really expensive. There are other options but they try not to include that part. For the most part all their assistants do the cleanings and the main boss comes to inspect. They will also tell you they had to do extra scaling. Up goes the $$$$. And there is more and more and more. They whole heartedly believe it is in your best interest to get braces for your kids for 10+ bills.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Paid $6 for a lb of butter las week!
Bloody grocers! 😡

But take heart. Trudeau got you in the backside. He’s going to give you the national Dental plan. That way we can all chip in for your X-rays and cleanings.
There, I fixed it for you.

Drewski
Old 11-03-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I hear ya on this. Yep lots of different pros on here. It's just the part when they look into what you have for benefits before they even look at you. The surprise X-rays always catches me off guard.

Dodger.
They will check for sure like mine does to see how much your plan will cover. Then of course they will charge accordingly. Ya Right +++$$$
over and above. At least it seems that way.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:45 PM

Dentist, child’s play. I was a mechanic and owned my own shop for 25 years, so I was born a crook. That couldn’t fix a bicycle.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

Any ideas what it costs to go to dental school, and how long it takes? Or law school? Yes, equipment is expensive.

Yes, I have a pretty good idea about the costs of both, dentists (~ quarter mil) and hygienists’ (~ $50K) schooling. Yes, equipment is crazy expensive.

Ironically, the dentist exam (about 3, 5 tops, minutes long, closer to 3 probably) was billed at $86 out of $550 or whatever it was bill. If you find an account that charges over $1,700 per hour, he’s gotta be a really good one. Same for lawyer. Also ironically, that was a charge I am most fine with. Weird.

On the bill, there is two counts of scaling and one count of polishing. She said they use the new whatever technique now where they put whatever it is and it changes colour to blue where the bacteria is. Mine changed to pink, which was explained that the bacteria wasn’t there for long. Well, duh, I brush (and try to floss regularly) teeth. So she did the cleaning. I didn’t notice any polishing. I don’t care for polishing either, but would rather not pay for it if it wasn’t done. Apparently it was with the “new system”. Oh well.

And I get it. I went there voluntarily, no one made me (well, the wife a little, but I knew it was time), knowing well ahead, except I did’t expect the $550 and $180 - last time was under $400 for the exact same thing - and wasn’t aware of the “new system” where it seems like the work hasn’t been done, yet I paid for it. Something like this.

Hey, but I got a “free” toothbrush, mini floss, mini lipstick, and… something else but can’t think of it now.

Jealous of dentist? Lol. Nooooo. Looking in gross mouths all day? No thanks.

Also, I edited at the end to say rather dentist office than dentists themselves.

I should also mention people often complain about the guberment paying $40 or whatever it is to a doctor (schooling ~ $100K?) for the 15-minute appointment. Wait till the dentals are part of the game.

Edit: It was a “free” mini toothpaste. How could I forget, lol.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Crowns are really not needed.
Who told you that?
Old 11-03-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green scud View Post
lol. Who told you that?
They are, if needed. And better do it properly, preferably not in Mexico. I know two people who paid over and above after doing the crowns elsewhere. One lady ended up paying over $30K for the dental work here after having the crown done in Ukraine. good chunk of the work was the emergency kind.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 PM

I must have the anomaly in the dentist world. Got a Maryland bridge put in to replace the partial denture I spit into the lake as I resurfaced after wiping out on the seadoo and swallowing half the lake. Well about 3 years into the Maryland it broke. Went back to see him, he says that is not right and gets me a whole new Maryland bridge, no cost to me. Kept having issues with it so got a full bridge put in. As I am paying my share the dentist comes out, looks at my bill and says that is too much. Reduced the amount I was supposed to pay.

No complaints here.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:58 PM

Huh. I actually really like my dentist. Been going to the same place for 37 years now. Never pay extra over my benefits coverage. Same with my wife and kids. Looks like I’ve lucked out! I actually have a credit on my account for a root canal that they had to send to the endodontist to fix. It was going to put me over my coverage for the year so he covered the cost.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:05 PM

havent been to the dentist in years floss and brush leave it at that no issues yet
Old 11-03-2022, 08:06 PM

Most clinics are running 60-80% overhead. After that you have to pay a guy enough to do the work. I hate to say it, but a professional isn't going to sit around for $40/hr.

Anyhow, no one is making you go. I hear if you wait long enough you can get what teeth you have left pulled out for peanuts.

I think we should complain about plumbers. They always charge a lot. It can't cost much to buy a van, fill it with parts/tools/equipment, drive all the way over to your house to fix your toilet and then drive all the way back - can it?
Old 11-03-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green scud View Post
Who told you that?
Like I said with it, there are other options. Who told me? My dentist did. It could be capped like a filling, not as strong by no means. Chew something hard and back to square one. Could be pull and bridged, could go the golden route and implant. No matter, you will pay. In the long run, take care of your teeth and gums. Also some people for some reason are susceptible to not having healthy teeth. Could be what they eat or drink.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:12 PM

JohninAB and vinny. You are very lucky to have the Dentist's you have.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
Most clinics are running 60-80% overhead. After that you have to pay a guy enough to do the work. I hate to say it, but a professional isn't going to sit around for $40/hr.

Anyhow, no one is making you go. I hear if you wait long enough you can get what teeth you have left pulled out for peanuts.
There is more than one post in the thread, Dr pittman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
I think we should complain about plumbers. They always charge a lot. It can't cost much to buy a van, fill it with parts/tools/equipment, drive all the way over to your house to fix your toilet and then drive all the way back - can it?
We could create another thread and do that if you like.