Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Default Antique/Collectible Appraiser

Anyone into antiques or know of a reasonable appraiser around Edmonton?

I have a vase I would like to know a bit more about.

It has a marking on the bottom::
Hut Jakub Tasice 1796
It's either Bohemian or Czech Cobalt blue glass--hand painted
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Brian Lehman would be an Alberta appraiser to not call. There was even a thread or two on here about it. He performs estate sales as well, and I recognize the signs they post and don't attend. Everything is drastically overpriced at them, but city folk don't seem to care so it continues.

http://pa-in.facebook.com/topic.php?...708&topic=3817

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=brian+lehman
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 PM

http://ruthreedantiques.net/store/in...d9bb605f9f6642
Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I collect fine china and have some vases as well. If you take enough time and search Google as well as do some leg work on E-bay you can find all kinds of information. It takes time and patience. I collect Japanese Moriage vases so similar in concept as yours but in a collectors world day and night differences in values and styles. You have an advantage in that you have printing on the bottom of the vase while pre-1900 Japanese works are generally blank and most are one of a kind.
I will tell you that Condition is EVERYTHING when it comes to porcelain or china etc. Even the smallest crack, chip or missing pieces have a dramatic effect on price. If your piece is mint or excellent find a way to protect it!
Check out the Ruby Lane website and then back track through some of the dealers and sellers. On E-bay don't just look at what is listed go back through the sellers own store when they list it. Sometimes you find a hidden gem and sometimes just junk and ocassionally a link to continue your search.
Good Luck!

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
I collect fine china and have some vases as well. If you take enough time and search Google as well as do some leg work on E-bay you can find all kinds of information. It takes time and patience. I collect Japanese Moriage vases so similar in concept as yours but in a collectors world day and night differences in values and styles. You have an advantage in that you have printing on the bottom of the vase while pre-1900 Japanese works are generally blank and most are one of a kind.
I will tell you that Condition is EVERYTHING when it comes to porcelain or china etc. Even the smallest crack, chip or missing pieces have a dramatic effect on price. If your piece is mint or excellent find a way to protect it!
Check out the Ruby Lane website and then back track through some of the dealers and sellers. On E-bay don't just look at what is listed go back through the sellers own store when they list it. Sometimes you find a hidden gem and sometimes just junk and ocassionally a link to continue your search.
Good Luck!

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Yes thanks--I have been looking on the net for some answers--this glass maker has hardly any information--I have even translated the pages that are in Czech. I did find some similar vases, but they don't have any info as to what year they came from.
I am continuing my search......