Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Default If you could choose between being a HD mechanic or Welder?

So I have the possibility of getting into a apprenticeship for a welder (already have 600 hours recorded time for if I got apprenticed) or a Heavy duty mechanic. Its a possibility, Iv worked hard in the shop so they put me on the crew that works on the mine, way more money and I work with both trades. Whats easier on the body? Iv always thought a HD mechanic would be good for me as I love working on anything. Also like welding...what would you do if you had the choice and why?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM

I would go with the mechanic myself probably easier on the body and may turn out to be better in poorer weather as being mostly indoors.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM

x2
Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 PM

what did the welder get on his IQ test??

Drool, does that help?

Just a joke to all the hard working welders!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Do both if that's an option. I have a friend that got his welding ticket first then his HD mechanic, he'll never be out of work and he mainly works inside in the shop. More than one ticket is a bonus in the industry your in
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Do both if that's an option. I have a friend that got his welding ticket first then his HD mechanic, he'll never be out of work and he mainly works inside in the shop. More than one ticket is a bonus in the industry your in
Isn't that what they call a Millwright? Capability in a bunch of mechanical trades.

Grizz
Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Isn't that what they call a Millwright? Capability in a bunch of mechanical trades.

Grizz
Nope, Millwright/Industrial mechanic is a trade of its own...I am one. Jack of all trades and master of none...
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Mechanic. The worst thing you will breathe is brake cleaner, solvent and diesel fuel, better than sucking cancer causing carcenogenic fumes 16 hours per day.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 AM

My vote is for mechanic, welding would get old after a while. Variety and new challenges would be more frequent with mechanics. If repetitions your bag, welder.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM

mechanic leaves more options open , and a mechanic that can weld is even better
Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Smile

Easy choice. Welder it is. If you go union the pay rates are better $43.00 hr and rising + double time. With the advances is respiratory equipment you never have to be exposed to the fumes. If you like to travel you can do it anywhere and make good money. 3 year apprenticeship instead of 4 like mecahnic.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM

I'm looking for a HD mechanic apprenticeship so that's what I would choose
Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gunner View Post
Easy choice. Welder it is. If you go union the pay rates are better $43.00 hr and rising + double time. With the advances is respiratory equipment you never have to be exposed to the fumes. If you like to travel you can do it anywhere and make good money. 3 year apprenticeship instead of 4 like mecahnic.
heavy duty truck and transport ticket is 3 years , off road is 4
Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM

I'm a rig welder it's great money but it always seems to get busy in the fall and ruins hunting plans
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Default mechanic

Im in school for 3rd year HET right now
on-road 3 years, off-road 3 years, Heavy Equipment technician 4 years
I prefer noisy engines, not noisy grinders
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM

i enjoy welding , but the real money for a welder is usually in some really crappy spots. boilers , remote pipe lines and shutdown runs. hd mechs usually get a easier ride for roughly the same money. i guess unless your a field mech , then your up to your arse in everything. my bro was a field mech for finning for years and my other brother is a welder, so was my old man.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 PM

As a welder you can make a good living anywhere you go with minimum tools if you just want to be an employee.
As a mechanic ,it seems you have to have many thousands invested in tools in order to work anywhere ...plus the welding trade can appeal to you creative side if your into that .Don't get caught up in the idea that the only welding is pipeline work.
I am a Journeyman welder and it has opened many doors for me. I don't weld anymore but work in the sales side of the industry.
Whichever you choose think of it as a stepping stone toward other opportunities.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM

I would go for both. I am a Welder and a Machinist and work in a fab/repair shop. It beats the hell out of wearing a lid all day and gives me a variety of jobs. I dont think I could handle burning a rod all day every day. Like the guy said welding gets old fast unless you use it to supplement another trade.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj240 View Post
Im in school for 3rd year HET right now
on-road 3 years, off-road 3 years, Heavy Equipment technician 4 years
I prefer noisy engines, not noisy grinders
I thought off road included hydraulics which made it 4 years ? My ticket was 4 years but things have changed since then I guess , anyways the trade has never left me out of work
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Banned

So im in the shop waiting to go work with the mechanic when I here a huge crunch, then a huge bang, then a smash etc....the huge mine truck backed onto the flatdeck welding truck......great.. the bang was the airbag blowing up, truck is messed up...the mine has had a few incidents this week, welders breaking fingers, guys needing stitches, equipment getting wrecked. SO, we all got a big lecture etc etc and now the company is not apprenticing until some of the current apprentices finish and upgrade, get trained all that good stuff. So its going to be a loooong wait. So im poking around trying to find a job that is a camp job and a apprentice position. If not then its back to the regular.