Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 06:33 PM

Default School stabbing in Ontario...

Another senseless "knife violence" incident at another school.
Time to register all knives now.. Right?

http://m.durhamregion.com/news-story...e-student-14-i
Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 PM

Glad no one died.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Banned

I bet some kids father is pretty angry right now. I'm not a believer in treating minors any different than adults. When a kid reaches thirteen years of age they should be held just as accountable. Lock him up and toss the key away for a good five years.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I bet some kids father is pretty angry right now. I'm not a believer in treating minors any different than adults. When a kid reaches thirteen years of age they should be held just as accountable. Lock him up and toss the key away for a good five years.
Her not Him.

LC
Old 02-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Her not Him.

LC
Sorry lefty it's been a long day and I'm finally relaxing. No reason for someone to have a knife on school property.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Sorry lefty it's been a long day and I'm finally relaxing. No reason for someone to have a knife on school property.
No sweat...many times we assume Men are responsible for violence in our society, this incident goes to show the onus is still on the person and not the weapon of choice for responsibility of violence.

LC
Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Funny how back in the day when just about every boy from grade 1 to 12carried a knife to school you rarely heard about anybody getting injured or attacked. Now that knives are not allowed in school it seems somebody is getting stabbed somewhere every week. We keep ignoring the problem of why people are so eager to try and kill each other. What do we do? We do nothing but put restrictions on weapons. Then we sit back and wait for the next mass shooting or stabbing.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Hmmm we all did, even had a few fist fights, no knives pulled, went home leaking, back at it the next day.

I could only imagine if a knife did get pulled, gang of kids booting you around, principle wacking you around, town cop shows up, ruffs you up and then...yes home to the old man. Talk about accountability for your actions back then.

Nowadays well it is completely reversed...very sad!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Funny how back in the day when just about every boy from grade 1 to 12carried a knife to school you rarely heard about anybody getting injured or attacked. Now that knives are not allowed in school it seems somebody is getting stabbed somewhere every week. We keep ignoring the problem of why people are so eager to try and kill each other. What do we do? We do nothing but put restrictions on weapons. Then we sit back and wait for the next mass shooting or stabbing.
I agree, I carry a pocket knife 90% of the time. When I don't it's because I don't have pants on or I am sitting on an airplane.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-24-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmm we all did, even had a few fist fights, no knives pulled, went home leaking, back at it the next day.

I could only imagine if a knife did get pulled, gang of kids booting you around, principle wacking you around, town cop shows up, ruffs you up and then...yes home to the old man. Talk about accountability for your actions back then.

Nowadays well it is completely reversed...very sad!
X2 well put. I remember doing something stupid as a young lad, the neighbour kicked my azz then called my dad and arrived home to second beating from him.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:43 AM

The interesting thing is that many incidents like these aren't reported.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 AM

Teenage girls are more are volatile than teenage boys, easily equated to emotional nitroglycerin.

I was talking with a client yesterday and we were of the opinion that some aspects of psych wards 100 years ago were far superior than today, primarily in that the loonies were kept away from the sane for good. Vince Li for one example demonstrates how excessively far we've swayed....

My client noted that years ago when she worked in home care she had a young mother client who was quite unstable, the girl had called her up one day noting that she was about to stab her 3 month old baby because it was 'growing horns' and she had a knife in hand for the gruesome task, my client managed to talk the girl down and to leave the room that the baby was in, she then rushed over after contacting the police and EMS. Apparently she got there first and the baby was safe. The girl was institutionalized for a spell but in a year or two had custody of her 3 kids back.....
Old 02-24-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Teenage girls are more are volatile than teenage boys, easily equated to emotional nitroglycerin.

I was talking with a client yesterday and we were of the opinion that some aspects of psych wards 100 years ago were far superior than today, primarily in that the loonies were kept away from the sane for good. Vince Li for one example demonstrates how excessively far we've swayed....

My client noted that years ago when she worked in home care she had a young mother client who was quite unstable, the girl had called her up one day noting that she was about to stab her 3 month old baby because it was 'growing horns' and she had a knife in hand for the gruesome task, my client managed to talk the girl down and to leave the room that the baby was in, she then rushed over after contacting the police and EMS. Apparently she got there first and the baby was safe. The girl was institutionalized for a spell but in a year or two had custody of her 3 kids back.....
Interesting discussion this morning. This girl is being viewed as a victim by the Media and Public. Similar event in La Loche makes the guy a monster.

Grizz
Old 02-24-2016, 08:36 PM

Sad turn of events. Hope all the injured have a speedy recovery... When will people learn to stop coddling their children and hold them responsible for their actions? I'm not the oldest guy in the world but sure don't remember anything like this happening when I was a kid...
Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 PM

Read this thread this morning before work didn't have time to post. I might not be the oldest member on this forum however , I grew up in the Ottawa valley and at our high school everyone had a knife on them. I've had a pocket knife since I was a young lad; they were a tool that's all. Something everyone had. At our high school there were more then likely multiple shot guns and rifles out in the parking lot too. The school was empty from September til December. With all this " weaponry" around you'd think there would be blood shed every day but nobody ever got hurt because you had to be accountable. Kids these days have no respect and no accountability .
Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree, I carry a pocket knife 90% of the time. When I don't it's because I don't have pants on...
LC
Whew... because being out on the street with no pants on, carrying a knife, would for sure draw unwanted police attention Lefty!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Whew... because being out on the street with no pants on, carrying a knife, would for sure draw unwanted police attention Lefty!
Ugh, you just had to conjure that image up, didn't you, Okie?

Like many of you, when I was in school, we used to pack knives as well. I carried mine everywhere - It's a very handy tool to have.