Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Default Buy a truck?

This might be a bit rambling but here goes:

I've been looking for replacement for my 1996 diesel Suburban K2500 (still runs good but is getting very rusty) for about a year or so. I keep finding what appear to be better deals on mid 2000 ford F250 and F350 trucks, are the engine problems with the fords keeping the prices down compared to the GM trucks? Are these problems real or just the stuff of internet fable?

I would prefer a GMC but choices seem to be slim the lower prices on the Fords is tempting.

Up here in Yellowknife the Ford dealer has the best reputation but they have also just been bought by GoAuto so I don't know if that will last.

Do I just suck it up and buy new? I've never had a car loan and given the economy a big loan doesn't seem like a great idea right now.

Buy new or used? Buy Ford, GM, or maybe Dodge? Just keep driving the Suburban till it dies then worry about it?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 PM

Stay away from the Ford Tritons is my advice.

Grizz
Old 02-23-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
Just keep driving the Suburban till it dies then worry about it?
What you said is my 2 cents of agreement.

There's lots of folks that like to spend other peoples money but in my humble opinion, keep it.

Buying a new truck is exciting as I've done it too many times and now I realize everybody drives a used truck! Drive the ass off of it then take a ride with the tow truck back home, then buy a replacement.
You're not missing out on anything.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Keep the suburban, especially if it's paid for. Who cares about a little rust if it still runs good. 2 or 3 payments on a new rig would cover a paint job if your that worried about it
Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 PM

My advice as a auto tech is it all depends on bad bad it really is. If it's in good condition just rusty and you don't mind rust keep it. How many km on it ? Has it been looked after mechanically? If not and it's getting up in mileage it's going to start costing money. There's no way it will cost as much as new vehicle payments but just be prepared.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I have an 06 tritan that's been great, what are you talkin about, it's been awesome for all of the 35 thousand km
Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I have an 06 tritan that's been great, what are you talkin about, it's been awesome for all of the 35 thousand km

Better change your spark plugs before long.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...-tsb/index.htm

Grizz
Old 02-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Banned

Bondo and camouflage paint, turn it into a real mans truck. God I don't know how many times we did that in high school....
Old 02-23-2016, 06:21 PM

As a Ford guy, here's my thought. I am also looking for a 05 to 07 F350 to replace the 97, 7.3L i sold last summer. The 6.0L has a bad rep for sure but i know lots of friends who ran them in fleets and personal use and not one was a dog. My research says the 05 to 07 is the best chance at a good one. That being said, 8 + yrs later, most will have had the bugs worked out or the deletes done imo. I would buy an 07 f350 and yes it seems like they are a bit cheaper compared to the rest in those years.

There are some good deals on 2011 Ford diesels that have went through the auction at Ritchie bros. I suspect the other brands too due to the economy here. Met a guy through work and he was driving a 2011 f350, loaded, diesel long box, 200,000 km's but he got it well under $20G. Same truck sells for over 30G privately. You take your chances used or at auction.

Keep driving the Suburban while you look for a deal you can't pass up. I am still looking for grandpa's diesel to buy. My daily driver just clicked 352,000 km's.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:23 PM

Default Right now

If you drop down to the Chuk, prices on left over new '15's are comparatively lower than they have maybe ever been - GM, Ford, or Dodge. And interest rates for financing, if you need it (dealer or bank) are as low as they will ever go. So .... (unless there are "politics" in buying elsewhere and getting service in Yellowkinife?) ...?

Or, the rate of repos on recent model trucks is already way up over the last few years in AB and SK, due to the economic situation. Right now the somewhat absurd auction and dealer prices for "late model pre-owned" may not be advantageous, due to the loonie factor (US buyers are taking advantage on all vehicle and equipment fronts and trucking them back across the border). But I think that in a few months this will resolve into much lower prices. Plan to attend some auctions (in person or on line) in a few months (?), armed with bank pre approval on the financing (?).
Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
If you drop down to the Chuk, prices on left over new '15's are comparatively lower than they have maybe ever been - GM, Ford, or Dodge. And interest rates for financing, if you need it (dealer or bank) are as low as they will ever go. So .... (unless there are "politics" in buying elsewhere and getting service in Yellowkinife?) ...?

Or, the rate of repos on recent model trucks is already way up over the last few years in AB and SK, due to the economic situation. Right now the somewhat absurd auction and dealer prices for "late model pre-owned" may not be advantageous, due to the loonie factor (US buyers are taking advantage on all vehicle and equipment fronts and trucking them back across the border). But I think that in a few months this will resolve into much lower prices. Plan to attend some auctions (in person or on line) in a few months (?), armed with bank pre approval on the financing (?).
If you're mechanically competent, auction might be a good deal. Just bought a 2009 CHEV at Michener Allen for a decent price. Hundreds in that sale, so be prepared to go beforehand and evaluate them.

Grizz
Old 02-23-2016, 07:56 PM

The Sub is coming up on 315,000 km, the injection pump, injectors, starter, lift pump, pmd, and the whole front end have all been done within the last 3 years so it is in decent mechanical shape. However the body has developed some rather large holes in the last year.

Some of the dealers here in Yellowknife are known to be a problem if they know you bought your truck elsewhere.

No auctions here, the dealers here ship most of their used trucks to auctions in Alberta.

I'm not in a rush so I'll keep an eye on things and see if a good deal comes up. Once the winter is over up here I'll also have a look at trying to patch up the holes in the Sub.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:19 PM

What are your needs for truck? Do you need full size or can you get away with midsize? I have Toyota Tacoma and would recommend it in heart beat. Especially if you like going out in the bush. They hold there resale value high and are solid trucks. You will have no issues pulling out full size trucks when there stuck too
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 PM

I've used a Tacoma, great truck but too small for what I want and the seat is too close to the floor for my liking.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Grizz

X2. Run from the Ford go GM. or Dodge
Old 02-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
I'm not in a rush so I'll keep an eye on things and see if a good deal comes up. Once the winter is over up here I'll also have a look at trying to patch up the holes in the Sub.
Excellent attitude.
In owning seven vehicles over the last 40 years I only bought new once (a '74 Maverick that turned out to be the biggest dud of them all).
I've always decided I needed new wheels well in advance of when I actually purchased. I've never put myself in the position of having to buy a vehicle out of necessity...that's when you get rushed and buy the first thing you see that you like and don't do your due diligence in checking it out.
My current vehicle is a 2008 Trailblazer (the last year they made them).
I bought it a little over a year ago. I drove by it for months on my way to work when one morning I saw a 'fore sale' sign on it. I stopped by the fellows place on the way home from work.
An older executive who literally hardly drove it (he had a Smart car for city use).
Bottom line...it was six years old when I bought it with just under 90,000km on it. LT model, loaded. Had it checked by a good, trusted mechanic...all he could find was the serpentine belt worn ($160) and a blown front door speaker. It has run flawlessly (touch wood) for the last year and a bit, 22000km and I got it for $7500.
Totally rust free and sparkling inside...I don't need to spend an extra $40k to say my vehicle is 'new'.

This is (unfortunately for many) the best time to be looking. I work on 107ave (Edmonton) and in the last few weeks a number of 'used car' lots have sprouted up with a lot of very new looking vehicles. I stopped by with a friend to look at car for her and the lot owner told us they are literally swimming in repos because of our tanked economy. So much overstock that the pricing was pretty decent.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

cosmetic fixes, run her until she drops. Newer is not always better!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 AM

I think all brands are good. Just depends if your brand loyal or if you don't care. There is a chance any truck, (doesn't matter brand) could have or develop problems. Bought a 2003 f-150 from factory, got it Sep 02. Still have it will 180,000km now. No problems besides a rear axel seal, it's got 5.4L. Use to pull our 30' RV with it. Now we also have a 2011 f350 6.7L, on 3 years with it now and no problems. I think it's some luck and the way u treat them. Take your time, don't rush. You always hear bad stories about trucks but never the good ones. Good luck
Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 AM

Triton can't be that bad got 415000 on mine still running good
Old 02-24-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Grizz
No problems with my Tritons.