Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Good first muzzle loader?

Hi I am looking to pick up my first muzzle loader rifle. Planning to hunt with it when seasons permit. Just curious to know what our AO community thinks is Good brand and model to get into. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

well that depends on what you want....I liked the traditions hawken's in which I got one in 50 cal...90 grains of pyrodex and seated on top of it was a Hornady's great plains bullet....385gr hollow point....deadly accurate...3 shot groups bench rested all under 3"....big holes.....shot many whitetail and mule deer that simply died from loss of blood.....

now I know there are a poop load of scoped inline muzzleloaders out there in which I used one on a whitetail 200 yards....dead....it as a knight inline scoped 3-9 and I used 100 gr pyrodex and seated a 240gr sabot 44cal bullet....not my cup of tea but had to try it.....

good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:19 AM

A friend of mine has a nice Thompson inline complete with Leupold scope and a pile of accessories if you are interested.
I have shot traditional muzzle loaders since 1977 and have never even tripped the trigger on one of those new inlines, but lots of people like them!
Cat
Old 07-11-2020, 05:00 AM

I use a TC pro hunter it shoots well and fits nice in my hands
Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 AM

I have 2 CVA optimas.one is much older than the other .they both sport inexpensive scopes .it took a bit of experimentation to find the sweet spot for load accuracy 120 grains of pellets 250 grain sabot.very accurate and dead deer out to 200 yards
Old 07-11-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A friend of mine has a nice Thompson inline complete with Leupold scope and a pile of accessories if you are interested.
I have shot traditional muzzle loaders since 1977 and have never even tripped the trigger on one of those new inlines, but lots of people like them!
Cat

Hi Cat Pm me with his phone number I’ll give him a call to find out the details of that works. Thanks

Old 07-11-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I use a TC pro hunter it shoots well and fits nice in my hands

Nice I was looking at the Thompson Center. I like the look and I have a 22-250 Thompson Center that feels great to shot.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:45 AM

I've been using a scoped Thompson Center(not Pro Hunter) .50 cal for about 10 years now during the Strathcona hunts and a couple of Wainwright hunts. I've taken more deer with it than my rifle since owning it at distances from 35 to 245 yards. I use 250 grain TC Shockwaves with a max. load of Triple 7 pellets and haven't looked back. Accuracy is great and deer don't go far after the shot.....
Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Banned

Tc triumph bone collector is what I use
Lots of extra features with the bone collector version that makes it more appealing than the standard