Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 PM

Default fishing apps

Does anyone use and recommend a good fishing app? I used to own iFish Alberta on ios. I recently upgraded my phone and suddenly I could not get into the app. I simply deleted it thinking a good reset would fix the issue and instead I never found it in the app store anymore. I have sent them messages but I am starting to think they simply folded even though other similar apps still exist. Anyone know what happened to iFish Alberta app? Good luck fishing!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:20 PM

oops, I meant to say iHunt Alberta app is gone. My iFish Alberta is still good.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:35 PM

Default Good timing

Sarcee Fish and Game Association just sent out an email regarding their recent presentation from Angler's Atlas, MYCATCH app. Anything that helps reduce the amount of wasteful fish netting for data collection by fisheries is good in my books. I signed up and inquired to the publisher and look forward to talking more with him on this app and how it helps fisheries. See the blurb below:

MyCatch by Angler's Atlas

A major challenge faced by fisheries biologists is the cost of data collection, and as a result many lakes and rivers go unmonitored. We believe that anglers can play an important role in solving this challenge. Angler's Atlas has developed a new application called "MyCatch" that allows anglers to record their catch data so that biologists are able to use it in fisheries assessments.

The purpose of our presentation is to introduce the club to MyCatch, show how the app works, and discuss ways we can work together in 2018 to scientifically test if this method is useful for biologists. Specifically we will be comparing results from the app with a traditional creel survey that will be taking place on the Bow River. We will also be looking for feedback on how the app works, in order to improve it's design and functionality for anglers.

It is important to emphasize that your secret spot stays secret. The biologists only use the data in fisheries analysis. And we should also mention that catching nothing is important data too, so please report the times when you didn't catch anything.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 PM

Fish Brain
Old 06-01-2018, 03:50 PM

What would you expect from a fishing app?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Bringing this back to life...

Are there any good apps that people would recommend?

Is iFish actually worth $7.00? It looks like you can get a fair bit of info for free from the website - is there much additional info available in the app?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Practitioner View Post
Bringing this back to life...

Are there any good apps that people would recommend?

Is iFish actually worth $7.00? It looks like you can get a fair bit of info for free from the website - is there much additional info available in the app?

Thanks
It’s a one time deal. It’s 7 bucks. Sure its worth it
Old 03-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Jay Siemens just did a testimonial for Fish Brain on his latest YouTube vid. Made me consider it...
Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM

I use Navionics and MyCatch. I looked at FishBrain but it seems to be just a fishing facebook app (plus a little more). I passed on installing it. I bought iFishAB when it first came out but I don't really use it anymore. If I do use it, I find i just use the webpage.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 AM

Installed fishbrain to see what was up. Deleted it once it was apparent that the app was just window dressing for the premium app that would cost me $8 per month. No thanks...……………...like said ^^^^^^ looks like a social media page that encourages pictures, locations, grip and grins.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Jay Siemens just did a testimonial for Fish Brain on his latest YouTube vid. Made me consider it...
I watch Jay's stuff and really enjoy, but he did say that his FishBrain plug was a paid advertisement. My son had the FishBrain app for a bit. Eventually deleted it and just uses InstaGram instead. Much larger audience and doesn't cost anything.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-04-2019, 01:31 PM

I have/use:

ifish Alberta,
Alberta Rivers, Shows reservoir levels and flow rates.
Alberta Discover Guide,
Navionics Boating HD,
Precision Trolling,
Knot wars,
Sufix Guide,
Knots 3D,
Anglers Atlas.

Might have a couple more.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Default Links to Fishing Apps

Here you go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w373c3fewj...ites.docx?dl=0

Cheers,
Neil
Old 03-04-2019, 02:36 PM

For the guys that use Navionics, is it a one-time fee to download, or do you have to pay for a yearly subscription? I've been leery of going in on that because I've heard it's not very accurate, in terms of water depths...
Old 03-04-2019, 05:34 PM

I just purchased Navionics at the end of last year so I haven't had to renew. From what I have read, it sounds like the yearly subscription is for getting the latest map updates. But you have to download all the mapping before your subscription runs out. You will basically be stuck with that map until you buy a new subscription. I can't say 100% if that is accurate or not, it's just what I have read.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Default fish apps

I highly recommend iSolunar. I have been using this app for years . Very Accurate . Easy to use. Good Luck with your choice
Old 03-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I watch Jay's stuff and really enjoy, but he did say that his FishBrain plug was a paid advertisement. My son had the FishBrain app for a bit. Eventually deleted it and just uses InstaGram instead. Much larger audience and doesn't cost anything.

SS
I tried for a few days also still unsure
Old 03-05-2019, 11:55 PM

I have used ifish for years and like it, but don't buy the app. As long as I had it, they never added any "PRO" features. just use the website, easy. Found fishbrain to be completely useless, don't need a facebook. I have used others that I paid for, but they were garbage, or had bad glitches that never got fixed, or just up and abandoned the app.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 AM

Anyone use the Precision Trolling app?

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 AM

I personally don't find the iFish alberta app useful anymore either. It was a good resource when I was first exploring the area for places to fish, some people rely on it for their regulations but I have found errors. You can download depth charts from the app to your phone but they are the pdfs from Anglers Atlas and dont provide any navigation advantage like navionics.

I do like the navionics app for getting around the lake. It depends on what your idea of accurate is... some of the drop offs are steeper than shown or a hundred yards off in some direction but it does show you an idea of the bottom contour. Still up to the angler to find that spot on the spot.

I like Jay Siemens channel as well and checked out the FishBrain app but like others have said, not much value there for a monthly fee.

I like the idea of the MyCatch app but I always forget to use it lol.

I posted some resources for anglers back in December:
https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/r...berta-anglers/

I guess the short answer is the most useful part of the iFish app is free from their website.

Last edited by StringTheory; 03-06-2019 at 11:31 AM.