Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 04:10 PM

Default Anyone planning a Thar hunt in NZ?

For those of you lucky enough to be planning a Thar hunt in New Zealand, dont bother! Our amazingly incompetent ‘conservation’ minister has just anounced a plan to cull 17500 Thar from public land. These animals are to be shot from a helicopter and left to rot where they land. The cull is to take place on the most populated and accesable Thar hunting area available in NZ. A survey completed recently identified only 3000 animals in this area, so a cull of 17500 animals will all but wipe the species out. Between these aerial culls and the governments willingness to spread hundreds and hundreds of tons of poison from choppers, public land hunting is close to being a thing of the past. Save your money, as much as i enjoy having foreign hunters fulfilling their dreams in my mountains id rather you didnt give any of your hard earned money to the miserable government that currently has their ‘kill everything’ hooks dug in.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM

Default Just a question.

Why are they doing such a mass cull, what is the purpose?
Old 09-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Why are they doing such a mass cull, what is the purpose?
There doesn’t appear to be any purpose other than that our conservation minister in general doesnt like recreational hunting. Its no secret that planned culls need to take place when the need arisses due to much of the terrain being borderline impossible to ground hunt, but to plan a cull of 17500 animals when there is less than 50% of that number there is their way of complete anihalation without actually admitting to a plan of totally eradication of a species. They have conjured up a plan to make the entire country predator free by 2050. This includes any and all introduced species, a feat that is totally unobtainable.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:35 PM

Dang. Spent a year there on an exchange 20 years ago and loved hunting them so much I went back a couple times since. Hunters were fighting the same government thinking then.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_hunter View Post
For those of you lucky enough to be planning a Thar hunt in New Zealand, dont bother! Our amazingly incompetent ‘conservation’ minister has just anounced a plan to cull 17500 Thar from public land. These animals are to be shot from a helicopter and left to rot where they land. The cull is to take place on the most populated and accesable Thar hunting area available in NZ. A survey completed recently identified only 3000 animals in this area, so a cull of 17500 animals will all but wipe the species out. Between these aerial culls and the governments willingness to spread hundreds and hundreds of tons of poison from choppers, public land hunting is close to being a thing of the past. Save your money, as much as i enjoy having foreign hunters fulfilling their dreams in my mountains id rather you didnt give any of your hard earned money to the miserable government that currently has their ‘kill everything’ hooks dug in.
Well that definitely SUCKS, I was thinking of planing a trip. What about Red Stag?

We in Canada know all about incompetent Political Leaders, sad to say.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Wow, crazy to hear. One of those bucket list trips I never made happen.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:40 PM

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...-minister.html
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Well that definitely SUCKS, I was thinking of planing a trip. What about Red Stag?

We in Canada know all about incompetent Political Leaders, sad to say.
Private blocks will still be well stocked but for those that like to hunt public lands things are looking grim. To much poison is being spread from the air and our trophy animals are getting less and less. This is the price we pay for having deskchair jockeys that have never stepped foot into the wilderness making decisions on how it should be cared for.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock Fever View Post
Always another side to the story.

Thomas Sowell