Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Federal Trophy Bonded tip??

Ladies and Gents......
Just throwing this one out there.......Has anyone hunted with the new Federal Premium "Trophy Bonded Tip" Bullet? I know they have only been out for a few years since replacing the good old bear claw, but if you have had success or failure with them, please reply! Cheers!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM
sheephunter

Yup, I've run them through the .338 and .30-06. I'm still trying to decide if they are as tough as the old Trophy Bonded Bearclaw or not but they seemed to work just fine.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks Sheephunter......In the end I guess there is really only one way to find out hey!!?? Happy Hunting.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM

I've hunted with them and taken two animals with them.

Very accurate at the range.

The first Mule Deer entered low (my fault) smashing bone and leaving the leg hanging off the deer as if from a thread (seriously), it then proceeded to cut through the heart and leave a nice, large hole on the other side. No bullet recovered.

The second one was a shot in the boiler room. Nice exit hole. No bullet recovered.

They're quite lethal.

They have a bonded frontal core and polymer tip to help with accuracy and rapid expansion like an accu-bond but the rear of the bullet is solid gilding metal like a GMX or E-tip so even if the entire front core is gone, the bullet will continue with about 50% of its mass, much like a partition.

It's a good design.

The only concern I had with them is that with the nickle plating over top of the gilding metal, I don't know how that will foul or how to remove nickel fouling.

Those two deer were shot with the 130gr 270 load.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
They have a bonded frontal core and polymer tip to help with accuracy and rapid expansion like an accu-bond but the rear of the bullet is solid gilding metal like a GMX or E-tip so even if the entire front core is gone, the bullet will continue with about 50% of its mass, much like a partition.

If I'm not mistaken the base is pure copper and not guilding metal.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If I'm not mistaken the base is pure copper and not guilding metal.
"The jacket and solid base are one piece of 95-5 gilding metal."

http://www.americanhunter.org/Articl...id=1426&cid=59
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
sheephunter

Weird...this is from the Federal website.

Quote:
ANOKA, Minn. – January 28, 2008 – Federal Premium® has combined the latest in bullet technology with proven performance to bring big game hunters the Trophy Bonded® Tip. This new offering is built on the heralded Trophy Bonded® Bear Claw® platform and adds numerous features for a substantial increase in performance—available summer 2008.

The first and most noticeable addition is a neon, translucent polymer tip. This is coupled with a boat-tail design for flat trajectory and improved accuracy. Because it’s built on the Bear Claw’s proven platform, the new Trophy Tip has the jacket bonded to the core for high weight retention and a solid copper shank to crush bone. “We wanted to really raise the bar for bullet performance with the new Trophy Bonded Tip,” said project lead Larry Head. “So we worked very hard to develop a bullet that had it all. The result is an accurate, flat-shooting and tough bullet that meets all the demands of today’s big game hunter.”

The Trophy Tip is unique in that it combines several different bullet technologies in one projectile. Another improvement to this bullet is exterior skiving on the nickel-plated bullet that provides optimum expansion at a variety of ranges. The load also features a nickel plated case and bullet for easy extraction and corrosion protection. Available in a full-line of offerings for 2008.
I wonder if they changed construction or if Bryce forgot to check his facts. I was under the impression it was solid copper like the TSX.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Those are the only two sources of information I can find on the topic.

It would not make sense to make a rear shank out of solid copper. The purpose of the rear 'core' is to punch through thick heavy bone after the lead core has failed. Making it soft would serve no purpose whatsoever. Gilding metal would be preferable, both for its added hardness, lowered friction, and lesser fouling.

In any case, whether it's got 5% Zinc in it or not, it's a damn deadly bullet.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Those are the only two sources of information I can find on the topic.

It would not make sense to make a rear shank out of solid copper. The purpose of the rear 'core' is to punch through thick heavy bone after the lead core has failed. Making it software would serve no purpose whatsoever. Gilding metal would be preferable.

In any case, whether it's got 5% Zinc in it or not, it's a damn deadly bullet.
The TSX and TTSX are both solid copper and seem to do fine. The addition of zinc to the GMX and E-tip was actually done to make them slicker to help with pressure problems that so plaugued the original X bullet, not to make them tougher....although it arguably created the need for slightly more speed to achieve expansion although I'm not 100% convinced of that. As the Trophy Bonded Tip is nickle coated, using guilding metal really wouldn't accomplish too much. I'm not sure now....have to see if I can find out.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The TSX and TTSX are both solid copper and seem to do fine. The addition of zinc to the GMX and E-tip was actually done to make them slicker to help with pressure problems that so plaugued the original X bullet, not to make them tougher.
I understand that. Gilding metal is a harder metal than solid copper though.

This is easy to see because the Barnes bullets will expand reliably with 1800fps impact and the E-tip and GMX both require 2000fps impact.

Solid copper is softer and more malleable than Gilding metal.

Without a lead frontal core, that's an advantage because it means more expansion up front.

When used in a solid rear core behind a bonded frontal lead core, solid copper simply doesn't make as much sense as Gilding metal, even ignoring Gilding Metal's advantages in pressure and fouling.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
.although it arguably created the need for slightly more speed to achieve expansion although I'm not 100% convinced of that.
I wish I had the time to find it right now but there is an excellent article where the GMX was compared to the TTSX at aprx 1800fps impact velocity into ballistic gel. The Barnes opened, the GMX didn't.

There's nothing 'arguable' about it. Copper is softer than gilding metal and opens more readily.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
This is easy to see because the Barnes bullets will expand reliably with 1800fps impact and the E-tip and GMX both require 2000fps impact.
That's what the literature says for sure but with the testing I've done, I'm not convinced on those velocities really being that accurate. Lots of other factors but no question all mono metals work better with a bit of speed.

As both copper and guilding metal are much tougher than lead, I don't really see an issue with either in the TBT. As Federal works closely with Barnes, it would't suprise me if it was copper.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I wish I had the time to find it right now but there is an excellent article where the GMX was compared to the TTSX at aprx 1800fps impact velocity into ballistic gel. The Barnes opened, the GMX didn't.

There's nothing 'arguable' about it. Copper is softer than gilding metal and opens more readily.
That has virtually nothing to do with construction material and everything to do with design. The TTSX has a much larger nose cavity than the TSX and expands easier and sheds petals much easier. It was designed that way for deer-sized game. It's not nearly as tough as the TSX despite being constructed from identical material. Comparing expansion on the TSX and GMX would be a far more fair comparison.

No doubt guilding metal is slightly harder but I don't see it making any difference behind lead that is bonded to a jacket. It's not like it's going to deform.

Edit**** I just did a quick Google search and quickly found at least 20 other references to it being a solid copper shank and not one other that it was guilding metal. I suspect Bryce may have got it wrong in that one article. You had me wondering though. There are several references right from Federal that it's pure copper. I'd be inclined to believe those.

Last edited by sheephunter; 05-04-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Ha ha ha funny, starts out on Trophy Bonded Tip and moves completly away to TTSX and GMX!!
Guess there is not alot of field time use with the TBT. Oh well, I guess I better go Hunting and find out for myself. Thanks Gents!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudes2010 View Post
Ha ha ha funny, starts out on Trophy Bonded Tip and moves completly away to TTSX and GMX!!
Guess there is not alot of field time use with the TBT. Oh well, I guess I better go Hunting and find out for myself. Thanks Gents!
LOL....it was still about the TBT.....just a bit of discussion about the material the shank was constructed of. Seems to be some conflicting info out there.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 PM

I've been using the 165gr in 308 the past couple of years a few deer and a cow elk later I'm pretty happy with them. Seem to perform
Well and my rifle (t3) likes them.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Are these bullets available to the reloader, or only available as a factory chambered round?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Federal "Trophy Bonded" "Bear Claw".

I've been using the 165gr in .308 for my deer and elk.

I'm very happy with them. I have never recovered a bullet from any animal that held 97% of its weight like this one does......

And, my Husky loves them, consistent clover leafing.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM

BUMP

any new info/field performance of the Federal TBT, just picked up some 160's for the 7 mag. they sure look cool...
Old 09-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Anyone know where you can buy the tbt for reloading?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Default federal TBT

Finally got to try these bullets this fall during hunting season........
Lets just say that Whitetail could not have been any Deader! One shot, straight through the heart. Turned it into Jelly heart soup.
Im sold on these bullets. Cheers.
Dudes2010
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 AM

Default Federal TBT????

BUMP....
Anyone else have a chance to hunt with these bullets over tha last couple of years that have good success with them? I know I did!
Cheers, Dudes 2010
Old 05-18-2013, 02:57 PM

I've been using the TBT 180 gr in my 300 WSM and have had great success with them. I've used them in Africa on Wildebeest, Kudu, Gemsbuck and a few more to mention Elk, and Deer at home hear. They retain all their weight as I've recovered many a bullet from this game. They Normally drop the animal on the spot for a nice clean kill. Oh ya not to mention the excellent grouping at the range. I've tried many shells in this gun and found these to be the best yet.
Plus they look cool when you pull them out of the box. I highly recommend these shells to anyone. Of course the rifle has to like them too.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 PM

They work well.

Best mix of penetration and expansion.

Attached is a picture of three recovered bullets from my Texas Nilgai hunt.

On the left is a Barnes TSX. Top is the Sierra. And on the right is the TBT.

They all did as designed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.6 KB, 217 views)
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Bump

Anyone else use these bullets lately? How did they do on your game? Good expansion? One shot kill?
Happy hunting ladies and gents!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 PM

I've used them last season on the biggest bodied bull elk I've taken 540lbs on the hook skinned and quartered in a 3006 they worked fine never recovered a bullet shots were at 250 -320 yards dead bull happy hunter I've done the same on a regular sized bull with 150 ttsx so there ya go
Old 07-07-2016, 07:58 PM

Any new reviews on these ?.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:16 PM

I shot a 300 pound black bear last fall at extremely close range with my 300wsm using these bullets in 180 grain weight. Immediately after I shot him, he rolled onto his back and died with all four legs pointing up in the air.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
I shot a 300 pound black bear last fall at extremely close range with my 300wsm using these bullets in 180 grain weight. Immediately after I shot him, he rolled onto his back and died with all four legs pointing up in the air.
Wow, that's pretty good, Imy thinking of trying it this coming season in my 30-06
Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Trophy Bonded Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
Any new reviews on these ?.
Awesome bullets! I've shot a few things with TBT's now. I shot 2 deer at a ranged 300 yards A couple years ago with 180s out of my 308. Absolutely devastating. DRT. Every rifle I've used them in particularly liked them... Great bullets IMO.