Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-07-2023, 05:27 PM

Default Reviews of Ruger Americans

I’m looking at getting a new Ruger American in .308 win Caliber. I’ve read reviews of issues with the magazine in colder conditions. Just wondering if anyone can give a little feedback or review of there own. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:39 PM

I have one and love it. I got mine 7 years ago and the clip is not great but works.

Looks like the clip design changed on the newer rifles so I assumed it was to fix the previous design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2023, 10:04 PM

I bought the compact version in 7mm-08 for my daughter a few years ago. I found it very accurate, light and handy. My daughter loved it. The stock is better than the Axis, but it could be more rigid. The trigger is decent. I had feeding issues with the magazine at first but I solved it with a blast of dry silicone lubricant into the magazine housing. I think the magazine design forces the cartridges to rub hard against the inner wall of the housing. Now it feeds great. I think I paid about $450 for it and for that price it’s a great deal. They’ve gotten a lot more expensive, unfortunately, like everything else gun related.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:43 PM

I haven't shot mine in a couple of years, but I don't remember any issues with it. It's chambered in 7MM-08

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2023, 09:12 AM

My neighbor bought his Ruger American in 7mm-08 second hand from Cabelas. Nice trigger, very very accurate, no feeding or other problems. Light and handy.

He did buy a second magazine in case he loses one in the bush. I did the same with my Tikka. We've lost gloves and scarves in deep brush, too easy to lose a mag.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2023, 12:24 PM

Accurate for the cost for sure. The stocks are a bit flimsy but lots of options to upgrade if you're in to that. The bolts do make that zipper noise out of the box but it does calm down the more you use it. Definitely a great hunting rifle for the money. Would recommend one for a first rifle.

I put mine in a Magpul stock and switch to the box magazines. It's a bit heavier then the factory rifle but i have zero complaints.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:50 PM

Not much different than a Savage Axis IMO. Cheap entry level rifle. Not the kind of rifle to consider as a hand me down over several generations.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:03 PM

Default better off

With a Rem SPS or used 788 IMO
Old 12-09-2023, 02:12 AM

American line is a great rifle, I have two predator versions, a .223 and a 6.5 creed. I like the forward barrel weight of the bigger barrel. Waaay better than a savage axis in my opinion, or the newer Remington non model 700 stuff. Can’t go wrong with a .308 win in a American.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:50 AM

I've tried 2 x Ruger centerfire bolt actions in the last few years, one was a Precision in 6.5, the other an American in .223/556 with the AR-Mag.

I remember the 6.5 being OK (no desire to own), the American didn't feed well at all after trying 2 different mags. (using 556) I don't try many guns that I'm eager to pass back, that was definitely one of them. Don't know how the other models are, with Ruger's own mags?