Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Newbie Question

Took over a used Bow set up from a friend. Using all his arrows with field point and fixed broad heads that came with the bow. Do you/should you sharpen the broad heads? Or just buy new when you feel like the broad head may have lost it's super sharp edge.

It's all knew to me and i forgot to ask this question at the archery shop. If yes, it's ok to touch up, any fine sharpening stone work or is there something I should buy?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2018, 06:20 PM

Welcome to the archery world!

Broadheads that haven’t ever been shot at an animal or a target shouldn’t need to be sharpened. But if you have been shooting them all into targets for a while then they probably should be replaced with a set you only use for hunting. Some guys will tell you to sharpen them yourself, whatever you feel comfortable with I suppose. I buy 2-4 packs of the same head I’m going to use. I use a few heads for practice only then use hew heads to hunt with. I don’t usually reuse heads that have hit an animal, the blades are usually bent or have some imperfection. But again, some guys will tell you if they look fine, then go ahead and reuse them.

Mechanical heads, I tie closed with braided fishing line for practice so they don’t open when they hit the target. Helps longevity of the targets, and then IMO are still sharp and I’ll use them to hunt with. Fixed heads I find get pretty dull after sufficient practice shooting into targets, and I can’t be too bothered to teshsroen them, but it wouldn’t take muchim sure.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:54 AM

Default Broadheads

Just do yourself the favour of buying new instead of sharpening
Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdblb View Post
Just do yourself the favour of buying new instead of sharpening
Would you buy a new knife every time it gets dull? I carry sharpening tools with me and touch up the arrows while I’m waiting for my deer to show up. Broad heads will get dull surprisingly easily, even from just putting them in and out of a bowquiver.