Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Default EMT to buy a gun?

It is my first time buying a gun online and a fellow said that he would give me a better deal if I do EMT. He has a store and website, but is there anything that could go wrong? I know EMT are like cash so if I get screwed there is nothing I can do. But what else could go wrong?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Banned

great way to go
Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 AM

As long as the store seems reputable I would go for it. Canadian Gun Dog Supply does a discount for EMT, i think it will start to become more popular. Less fee's for sellers, so they can pass on discounts to you.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
It is my first time buying a gun online and a fellow said that he would give me a better deal if I do EMT. He has a store and website, but is there anything that could go wrong? I know EMT are like cash so if I get screwed there is nothing I can do. But what else could go wrong?

Thanks
There are no other dangers with EMT!

Just make sure you send it to a correct email address. I would also call the store in to give them the password.

Good luck!

PS. What gun are you buying?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:37 AM

It's the best way to pay for anything in Canada, provided you're sure the seller/business is reputable. I've never had an issue with a known retailer, online or otherwise. It's individuals you have to scrutinize even more. If it's someone responding to a WTB ad (want to buy) you've posted, you really have to "double-down" on the scrutiny.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:02 PM

EMT or pay pal..but most stores hate pay pal because of the fees but you're protected more. If I buy outside of Canada I use pay pal if possible....But for sales on this site and other sites I use EMT, quick and no fees
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:40 PM

I use it and only got screwed once. Sent him my pal and then a emt. That was the last I heard from him. Cops said to never send a picture
Of your pal. Turns out he was using the pictures of other ppl’s pals that had been sent to him. I’m usually savvy to those guys but that guy got me.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:44 AM

many places take EMT now and it's useful
Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Banned

Used EMT and have my gun. Very happy.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:45 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordevr View Post
I use it and only got screwed once. Sent him my pal and then a emt. That was the last I heard from him. Cops said to never send a picture
Of your pal. Turns out he was using the pictures of other ppl’s pals that had been sent to him. I’m usually savvy to those guys but that guy got me.
How is a seller suppose to verify a buyer if a seller does not send an image of his pal, for NR purchase?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonn2018 View Post
How is a seller suppose to verify a buyer if a seller does not send an image of his pal, for NR purchase?
An effective way is to ask for the persons name, PAL number and address listed with the CFP. When you call NB you can have them confirm the address provide is the one listed for the PAL. Very hard for a person who is using someones else PAL to call NB and complete a change of address as NB will verify identity with several questions. Then only agree to ship to the address listed with CFP. If the person claims they just moved, then tell them to call NB and complete an address change prior to completing the sale.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 AM

He’s probably allowing for the processing fees that would otherwise be charged by his credit card processor. Technically he should not be doing that as it is a violation of the vendor agreement he would have signed in order to be able to accept credit card payments. It’s part of every vendor agreement. I accept credit cards in my small business and my fees for the privilege are 2.6%. Debit transactions are dirt cheap though, 6 cents per IIRC.

I’ve EMT’d with a number of buyers and sellers but I have my various verifications to do if they’re neither a store nor someone with a well-established trader rating

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Banned

After due diligence, Emt is the way to go.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
EMT or pay pal..but most stores hate pay pal because of the fees but you're protected more. If I buy outside of Canada I use pay pal if possible....But for sales on this site and other sites I use EMT, quick and no fees
Paypal are extremely anti-gun. There are firearms related businesses that will not accept paypal. Just sayin.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
I am quoting my own message.

I dont know what I was thinking when I initially posted it. Sending an image/photo of your licence is a bad idea.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I am quoting my own message.

I dont know what I was thinking when I initially posted it. Sending an image/photo of your licence is a bad idea.
There are now scammers using PAL information to illegally purchase firearms, so I don't send a scan of my PAL to anyone. I also don't use Paypal, as they are anti firearm, their conditions of use prohibit the purchase of firearms.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM

Another tip is to send the password by PM or phone instead of email if a hacker gets your mail he will have both the EMT and password
Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehgun View Post
Paypal are extremely anti-gun. There are firearms related businesses that will not accept paypal. Just sayin.
Yup....amazing how gunners still use them. Slit your own...
Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Exactly, it .makes no sense to support anti firearm businesses.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehgun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, it .makes no sense to support anti firearm businesses.
This this this....Boycott PayPal,they ARE the enemy.
PayPal actively supports anti-gun groups financially.....therefore every time you use PayPal,a portion of Paypal’s profit from your transaction however tiny is going to fund anti-gun groups that work hard every day to take away your guns rights.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:16 PM

Emt’s cant be referees once accepted, they are safe.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remstar View Post
Emt’s cant be referees once accepted, they are safe.
Safe in a relative sense. Make the password a bit complicated and not easy to guess. Confirm the name of the person matches the name on the EMT. RBC has declined me once as they gave me their name and their wife tried to deposit the money. Also noticed it gives a warning if the account name is different than what I put on the EMT.

Something for sellers. Don't ship the item before you accept the payment. You can cancel an EMT after you send it prior to acceptance.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:01 PM

Maybe it is dangerous to buy over EMT b/c if the seller doesn't ship the item you can't get your money back.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remstar View Post
Maybe it is dangerous to buy over EMT b/c if the seller doesn't ship the item you can't get your money back.
And zero ways to trace where it actually went. It is like sending cash in the mail without a tracking number.