Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Wow, you've been on ride alongs in all the major metropolis's of Canada.

Leader, Yorktown, Lytton, Drayton Valley, no wonder you're the absolute authority on policing in American urban and suburban settings and seem to know exactly what their average policing day entails and how much they embellish the live shoot.

We of the unwashed masses bow to your superiority.
Nope, just questioning your view of everyday police life. Anyway I'll defer to your expert knowledge of policing that you have received from watching a reality tv show where the producer admits they shoot 300-400 hours of footage to make 3 hours of cherry picked 'real time live footage'.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Nope, just questioning your view of everyday police life. Anyway I'll defer to your expert knowledge of policing that you have received from watching a reality tv show where the producer admits they shoot 300-400 hours of footage to make 3 hours of cherry picked 'real time live footage'.
It's common knowledge they shoot all week and when they show that footage they label it as occurring earlier in the week. They never pass that off as live and you should know better than including that in your response.
I've never disputed that when they show that they pick what they figure will garner the most interest.

I've only referenced what they show as live and as it happens in real time on Friday and Saturday nights.

You still don't seem to believe it's live footage, do you have any proof to the contrary? Didn't think so.

By the way I counted 11 live pull overs last night. One was confirmed as having everything in order, paperwork, license, etc. A second one may have been but they didn't stick with it to see the outcome.

The rest were paper work or license deficiencies, impairment or a stolen vehicle. A couple of drivers fled on foot and a couple were high speed chases where the outcome of driver status was unconfirmed.

I'm sure you'd consider all the drivers that fled as being legit in order to prove your point but I'd consider them dubious at best and highly likely they were in violation of at least one of the infractions listed above.

That makes it quite likely 9 out of 11 cars pulled over live had issues, that's 82%. Nothing cherry picked there with a known outcome and nothing staged although I'm sure you will dispute that.

Care to provide proof of that, other than your say so?

I think I've backed up everything I've claimed in this thread.

I'm not claiming to be any sort of an expert in policing only stating what was presented for everyone to see.

You're the one who appears to be making claims to the contrary and drawing conclusions with no basis of proof being provided by yourself.

Oh, unless you want to count your "police ride alongs" in sleepy small towns as your basis of proof. That was laughable by the way.

Last edited by YYC338; 06-16-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post

That makes it quite likely 9 out of 11 cars pulled over live had issues, that's 82%. Nothing cherry picked there with a known outcome and nothing staged although I'm sure you will dispute that.
True 82% of footage aired showed infractions. What about the footage of non events that did not not get aired. Might give people who can't think past their nose that what is aired and televised represents real life actual statistics. It doesn't. Already 4 cities have refused to renew contracts with A&E Live PD because of the false impression the show conveys about their communities when it focuses only on high crime neighborhoods and cherry picking which footage gets aired.

There cannot help but be lag times from when something is filmed to airing, while other footage is being aired. By the nature of time constraints many events cannot help but be filmed simultaneously in real time in different cities but only one at a time can be aired. This allows other live footage presently coming in to be reviewed at least partially to see if it looks air worthy and either given the green light for airing or dropped for another that is coming over the monitors. I will agree that it is as live as they can possibly make it, but lag times do allow for cherry picking what does and doesn't get aired other wise the show would be more of a cluster than it already is.

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-televis...-responding-to

https://nondoc.com/2017/03/27/live-pd-cops-steroids/
Old 06-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
True 82% of footage aired showed infractions. What about the footage of non events that did not not get aired. Might give people who can't think past their nose that what is aired and televised represents real life actual statistics. It doesn't. Already 4 cities have refused to renew contracts with A&E Live PD because of the false impression the show conveys about their communities when it focuses only on high crime neighborhoods and cherry picking which footage gets aired.

There cannot help but be lag times from when something is filmed to airing, while other footage is being aired. By the nature of time constraints many events cannot help but be filmed simultaneously in real time in different cities but only one at a time can be aired. This allows other live footage presently coming in to be reviewed at least partially to see if it looks air worthy and either given the green light for airing or dropped for another that is coming over the monitors. I will agree that it is as live as they can possibly make it, but lag times do allow for cherry picking what does and doesn't get aired other wise the show would be more of a cluster than it already is.

Well lets see. The three comments on your first link were by real knowledgeable professionals weren't they? What are their credentials to speak on the topic. What website is that anyway?

One basement keyboard warrior even went so far to say that "sometimes they show reruns, so it couldn't possibly be live"

Well duh Einstein, you graduated at the top of your class didn't you? I wouldn't trust or believe a single thing those clowns say. Far from a definitive authority on the issue of live filming but nice try.

The second link refers a lot to the original COPS show which was taped, edited and cherry picked, not at all what we were talking about.

When they do talk about Live PD, they reference problems with the LIVE broadcast of events and that Tulsa PD didn't like the way it came off and that live filming caused issues and problems for the officers. Hmmm live broadcasting, who knew.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:

I don't think you've watched nearly as much of the show as you claim to have done. If did, you'd know they preface a clip with "this just happened moments ago" or "earlier" if they aren't showing it live.

You still seem to be claiming they'll film something, edit it and then pass it off as live as it happened. You've provided nothing to prove this is happening.

Yes the show will broadcast footage from earlier in the week and yes I'm sure they shoot hours of footage to get those little clips. You keep hanging your hat on that stuff to dispute the live nature of some of it and you continuously miss the point.

I've constantly and only referred to the live portion of the show and that they don't know the outcome of what they'll find when they pull over a car and of only the LIVE pull overs last night, 82% had the issues and infractions discussed here.

You seem to think they tilt the odds in their favor by only going to high crime areas and filming there. Well duh, it's a TV show and they want viewership. Doesn't change the fact that they find what they find and in those areas the majority of the cars they pull over have issues.

Nobody's saying this is an average representation of all of America and I bet in eastern Montana in a small town things are pretty slow at midnight. Probably as slow as your ride alongs in small town Western Canada. I hope you're not trying to shop the rights to that show, you'll starve.

The original poster in this thread (you do recall what this thread is about don't you?) was speaking of an event he saw in a large (for Canada) urban setting. Probably more accurate to draw comparisons with that and the Live PD show settings that your ride along comparisons don't you think? He witnessed the acts of a delinquent driver which is not unlike what they show LIVE in every show. Face it, it's a common problem in certain areas. Much more common than you're willing to admit.