Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 05:53 PM

Default Free Unlimited Canada Call and Text

Anyone who has Shaw Internet or TV will want to check out their new offering. Effectively you get a free cell service with an, call display etc. . If you want data you can buy it for 10 bucks a gig, good for 90 days, rebuy when u run out or after 90 days. If you use lots of data you can get the free phone service, voice mail call display etc plus 25 gigs of data for 45 bucks a month. We just switched my wife's phone. She uses a max of 200 MB of data a month, some months only 50 MBs. The switch will save 800 bucks a year vs her 5 GB Kodoo plan, which was pretty much the cheapest if u wanted data. Best cell deal I have ever seen in Canada.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-18-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:55 AM

With all the threads there have been lately about the price of cell phone plans, who has the best etc I am kind of surprised this thread hasn't attracted any comments or interest. Shaw is using the Rogers Tower system and providing 4G/5G data at way less than Telus, Rogers or Bell, along with free cell service. If you use no data you would pay no fees. Hopefully guys start demanding their existing providers match this deal.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:01 AM

I’ve switched between Shaw and Telus over the years and right now we’re with Telus. Overall I’m happy with the service, but the deal you’ve mentioned almost seems too good to be true. Is this a special promotional thing for a limited time, or is this a standard offering?

Edit: I just did the math...at $10/GB I’d be paying more for my cell phone than I am now because I use about 8-10GB per month. With that said, I’m sure this Shaw deal would be perfect for those who don’t use much data.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I’ve switched between Shaw and Telus over the years and right now we’re with Telus. Overall I’m happy with the service, but the deal you’ve mentioned almost seems too good to be true. Is this a special promotional thing for a limited time, or is this a standard offering?

Edit: I just did the math...at $10/GB I’d be paying more for my cell phone than I am now because I use about 8-10GB per month. With that said, I’m sure this Shaw deal would be perfect for those who don’t use much data.

Yeah the Shaw deal is only good for people who don't leave the city centers and don't use alot of data.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:12 AM

I'm thinking that Shaw mobile is not available in all areas. Surely metro areas have this available but for rural customers......not sure. I'm not going to expend the effort to find out because with my Public Mobile plan I'm paying $27 a month for 6 gigs (which I have never used and will never use).............just sayin' I'm happy with what I have. 25 gigs is a number that does not have any meaning to me...
Old 09-19-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:

The $10/gig for 90 days only makes sense for low volume users like my wife who won't use a gig in 90 days. Shaw also has a $45/m, 25 Gig of data deal. This new deal seems to be part of their standard offering. It has been around since late July. I thought it sounded too good to be true so asked lots of questions and between the answers and the paper work seems to be on the up and up. Phone switch over is $20, has to be done at a Shaw Mobile store in Walmart, Superstore etc. Took about 10 minutes to switch existing phone number from Kodoo to Shaw.

https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans
Old 09-19-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Yeah the Shaw deal is only good for people who don't leave the city centers and don't use alot of data.

You do have to be a Shaw Internet or TV customer to qualify so if Shaw isn't offered in your area, you are right it doesn't fit. As far as not leaving the City, you get exactly the same coverage as you do using Rogers wireles. I have had business phones on Rogers and their cell phone/data tower coverage wasn't an issue in town or out. Public Mobile and Kodoo use the Telus network, just in case anyone is curious.

Rogers/Shaw Cell coverage map

https://www.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage

Last edited by Dean2; 09-19-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You got it. If you don’t travel it’s good. I’ll never use anything but Telus since we travel lots. . If you phone the loyalty dept at Telus you can get a great deal by just talking it out with them. We have two phones with max coverage for 90 bucks. Never an issue and no roaming charges.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:50 AM

We switched to Telus from Roger's because we spend a good deal of time at several properties east of the city . Unless things have changed Roger's signal isn't as good out east of town. Otherwise this would be good for us as neither of use a gig a month.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
You got it. If you don’t travel it’s good. I’ll never use anything but Telus since we travel lots. . If you phone the loyalty dept at Telus you can get a great deal by just talking it out with them. We have two phones with max coverage for 90 bucks. Never an issue and no roaming charges.
Is that $90 for both phones, or $90 for each phone?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post

Well, I spent over an hour on the phone with Telus and Kodoo yesterday, 4 different people and they could not even come close to matching the deal. Nor could they even improve on the plans we currently have, so I don't necessarily agree with your comment. Don't get me wrong, I am not shilling for Shaw, for many this deal doesn't work whether it is coverage in their area, not Shaw customers etc. but going from paying $880 a year to Kodoo to $40 a year to Shaw for exactly the same services and Data usage worked well for us. I can buy a lot of toys with $840.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:18 PM

Better deal for the $$ if you only have 1 cell line is freedom mobile plus freedom mobile internet. A little slower speed but not anything that isn't noticeable for most ppl.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Is that $90 for both phones, or $90 for each phone?
For both phones. Took a few years to nickel and dime them. I will not change a thing and no contract to boot. Once in a while I call them and even 5 bucks off I am happy. Don’t think it will drop anymore.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well, I spent over an hour on the phone with Telus and Kodoo yesterday, 4 different people and they could not even come close to matching the deal. Nor could they even improve on the plans we currently have, so I don't necessarily agree with your comment. Don't get me wrong, I am not shilling for Shaw, for many this deal doesn't work whether it is coverage in their area, not Shaw customers etc. but going from paying $880 a year to Kodoo to $40 a year to Shaw for exactly the same services and Data usage worked well for us. I can buy a lot of toys with $840.
It depends who you talk to. I guess I have good luck. Last time I called them no way would they move. Will try again and mention shaw. No way I’ll go with shaw but it’s a way to get the conversation going. Best of luck with Shaw
Old 09-19-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
You do have to be a Shaw Internet or TV customer to qualify so if Shaw isn't offered in your area, you are right it doesn't fit. As far as not leaving the City, you get exactly the same coverage as you do using Rogers wireles. I have had business phones on Rogers and their cell phone/data tower coverage wasn't an issue in town or out. Public Mobile and Kodoo use the Telus network, just in case anyone is curious.

Rogers/Shaw Cell coverage map

https://www.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage
That's actual not correct. It uses Rogers in the city, but u need "roaming" data outside of city centers and it's not LTE or 5g. Basically they took over/share freedom mobile towers which are the same ones Rogers uses in the city. But when you go out of their home coverage, you pay extra for data and it's different than that $10/g thing, that is only for their "home" coverage.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
That's actual not correct. It uses Rogers in the city, but u need "roaming" data outside of city centers and it's not LTE or 5g. Basically they took over/share freedom mobile towers which are the same ones Rogers uses in the city. But when you go out of their home coverage, you pay extra for data and it's different than that $10/g thing, that is only for their "home" coverage.
I am not a salesman for Shaw but what you are saying does not match the information I got nor the paper work I signed. Please check out the links I have provided, as well as the coverage map before telling me I am wrong. It clearly says data is nationwide. If you somehow end up being right I will come back on here and post that info but I seriously doubt that will happen.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I am not a salesman for Shaw but what you are saying does not match the information I got nor the paper work I signed. Please check out the links I have provided, as well as the coverage map before telling me I am wrong. It clearly says data is nationwide. If you somehow end up being right I will come back on here and post that info but I seriously doubt that will happen.
Look at the nationwide and variable definitions.. pay per use may apply. Ie, this is the same bs freedom mobile pulled when they came to market. Cheap data, when on freedoms network. I'll eat me words as well but I know people who got stung by this already.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Look at the nationwide and variable definitions.. pay per use may apply. Ie, this is the same bs freedom mobile pulled when they came to market. Cheap data, when on freedoms network. I'll eat me words as well but I know people who got stung by this already.
I take no offense and meant none. The deal is so good I thought there was a catch and it may well turn out that there is. If u end up being right I will fess up immediately but I will also switch back to Kodoo even faster. Good thing is it costs very little to move your business around and try out options these days. All the best.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:04 PM

None taken as well. I'm just going by what my friends have experienced,but I also don't know the specifics on their plans, just that they had to pay roaming data outside of Shaw's home coverage.

No biggie.
I shop around quite often, and I always stick with koodo.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:34 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
... Took about 10 minutes to switch existing phone number from Kodoo to Shaw.[/URL]
Can you keep your existing phone number (from Telus)??

Wondering...
Nog
Old 09-21-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Can you keep your existing phone number (from Telus)??

Wondering...
Nog
Yes. By law the number is yours for life as long as u want it. You can move carriers as often as u like.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes. By law the number is yours for life as long as u want it. You can move carriers as often as u like.
Thanks. Telus contract is up. Guess I'll check in with Shaw...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-22-2020, 08:57 PM

Yea Shaw has a great deal compared to Bell and telus.

But if you're like me and been with bell for 8 years and you own your own device aka fulfilled your 2 year phone contract and your phone is still good.

Call you provider and ask for "Customer Retention" they will forward you to that department and ask if they will match or beat Shaws $45 25GB Talk and Text Unlimited plan.

I called and they offered me $50, unlimited talk and text in canada with 20GB fast uncapped speeds, then after 20GB unlimited data but at reduced speeds. So you will never cap out.

I suggest everyone call and price match or beat the offer.

Quote:
Anyone who has Shaw Internet or TV will want to check out their new offering. Effectively you get a free cell service with an, call display etc. . If you want data you can buy it for 10 bucks a gig, good for 90 days, rebuy when u run out or after 90 days. If you use lots of data you can get the free phone service, voice mail call display etc plus 25 gigs of data for 45 bucks a month. We just switched my wife's phone. She uses a max of 200 MB of data a month, some months only 50 MBs. The switch will save 800 bucks a year vs her 5 GB Kodoo plan, which was pretty much the cheapest if u wanted data. Best cell deal I have ever seen in Canada.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:09 PM

So Dean2, any updates on your Shaw cell service? Like or like not? They are offering the unlimited deal now for $25 month...
Old 11-03-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
So Dean2, any updates on your Shaw cell service? Like or like not? They are offering the unlimited deal now for $25 month...
This is only valid if you are a Shaw customer with the Fibre+ Gig Internet service. It is still $45/month for all other Shaw customers.

They are also offering it to non Shaw customer the 25G Unlimited plan but it's $85/month if you bring your own phone.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:02 PM

Fair enough.... But I wanted to know how is the actual service. Any troubles if you go outside of the city?
Old 11-03-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I'm not going to expend the effort to find out because with my Public Mobile plan I'm paying $27 a month for 6 gigs
That's who I'm with since Bell tried to rob me blind

I pay a bit more though, $30 for 5 Gigs. I can barely use one in a month.

As for coverage, on our annual Canoe trip from Nordegg to Draton Valley this year I was allways the last guy to drop service.

Bell wanted $90 for comparable coverage. GOOD RIDDANCE!!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Fair enough.... But I wanted to know how is the actual service. Any troubles if you go outside of the city?
Not available in Port Alberni, nor any of the surrounding area.
KooDoo will see us tomorrow...
Adios Telus!

Nog
Old 11-04-2020, 06:41 AM

So far happy with Shaw. Phone is still free. My wife has not needed to buy any data so far so we are ahead over 100 bucks in the first two months. Coverage and wifi access has been fine but she also does not go outside city or main highway coverage. Have been out hunting with Roger's phone for the past few weeks, same coverage as Shaw, and had no service issues so far.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNorthernFishing View Post
Yea Shaw has a great deal compared to Bell and telus.

But if you're like me and been with bell for 8 years and you own your own device aka fulfilled your 2 year phone contract and your phone is still good.

Call you provider and ask for "Customer Retention" they will forward you to that department and ask if they will match or beat Shaws $45 25GB Talk and Text Unlimited plan.

I called and they offered me $50, unlimited talk and text in canada with 20GB fast uncapped speeds, then after 20GB unlimited data but at reduced speeds. So you will never cap out.

I suggest everyone call and price match or beat the offer.
Been with Bell for 18 years. Really getting the run around now. Best they'll offer is $65 a month for 20gb unlimited. Greasy bastards...